LegacyGT.com

Turbo and transmission reliability...

ickysmits

I have been considering a 2005+ Subaru Outback or Legacy Wagon and have been seeing good prices on slightly used turbos.

Sorry to compare, but my last car was an Audi A4 – I lived in constant fear of mechanical failure after the warranty expired, very expensive. I was never clear on what would happen, but mechanics would always warn me to be cautious with the turbos. I got the impression that if the turbo blew on an Audi, other things would surely be destroyed. Either very expensive to replace the turbo or it would be a symptom, and maybe cause of, engine oil starvation or deeper engine trouble. This would seem to lead to ultimate Audi death. It also seems to be a symptom of sludge.

How do Subaru turbos compare? How rare/common are problems with turbos? If one does fail, how much does it affect the rest of the engine? Is it just a matter of replacing the turbo and moving on with your life? - or is it like an Audi, the whole world comes crashing down on you and you have to dig deep into your pockets and walk to work in the meantime.

Also, the other issue I had with my Audi was the CVT transmission. I was advised by many technicians to sell the car after warranty – the reason being that the number of CVT problems are high and it's a sealed closed design and could never be rebuilt. So, transmission failure would mean that I would have to pay $6000 minimum for a replacement plus labor ($8000 average).

How are the drive trains on the 05+ Subaru? Any transmission can go at any time, it sucks, but I’m used to handing over less than $2000 to get the job done and not worry about it for the rest of the cars life. Can a Subaru transmission be rebuilt? What is the average cost to get a wrecked Subaru tranny back on the road?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Welcome:):)

My last car was a 02 S4 with a few mods so I know where you are coming from;)

If you are keeping the car stock you will be trouble frr on the tranny & turbo for a long.....long time. The turbo used on our cars is the VF40 & you can usually find a slightly used one for well under 500. You see there are quite a few modahaulics on this site........

When it comes to your tranny I would do 2 things to prolong it's life

1. Install a tranny cooler

2. Get the tranny flushed & dif fluid changed every 25k for a stock car & every 18-20k for a modded car.

3. Very important & wuite the heated topic & times, If you ever powerbrake your car for better launches off the line do your self a favor & keep them around 2800.

Hope this helps

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

My last car was jetta turbo. i too started looking for a new car as sson as my warranty ran out.. make sure u also get turbo timer. it will extend life of turbo.

Also drive easy when the car is cold.

Do not need to from what I have heard. Our turbos are watercooled, so even after you turn off your car the turbo is still cooling down :)

Do not need to from what I have heard. Our turbos are watercooled, so even after you turn off your car the turbo is still cooling down :)

This is true only to a point. The water pump isn't circulating fresh coolant through the turbo after the car shuts off, so the 900 degree turbo will only partially benefit from this. It will still last much longer stock than a turbo that is not water and oil cooled, though.

There is a special coolant tank above the turbo to provide plenty of coolant to replace steam after shut down. The CHRA will never get to 900F as long as you have coolant. The engineers already thought of that. No turbo timer needed at all. I believe the coolant will steam under 300F@ 11PSI or so?? and that is cool enough.

I seem to recall that there was a member who did some nice data logging involving turbo temperature. He concluded from the data that after severe turbo use that only a few minutes of easy driving brought turbo temps right back down into into a safe nominal range.

...after looking around for more info it seems like any turbo is just one more thing to break - I just like the luxury options the turbo models offer. I'll need to test drive these cars to see if I can live with less power or go with a 6-cylinder.

Wondering if anyone has any idea how much to replace the transmissions on these cars if they get chewed up....?

Wondering if anyone has any idea how much to replace the transmissions on these cars if they get chewed up....?

Although I don't know these cars as well as DSMs Subaru trannies are not like Audi/Volvo/Chrysler trannies. So unless you plan on adding a turbo to your 6 cylinder then I wouldn't worry about it.

There is a special coolant tank above the turbo to provide plenty of coolant to replace steam after shut down. The CHRA will never get to 900F as long as you have coolant. The engineers already thought of that. No turbo timer needed at all. I believe the coolant will steam under 300F@ 11PSI or so?? and that is cool enough.

True fact.

I seem to recall that there was a member who did some nice data logging involving turbo temperature. He concluded from the data that after severe turbo use that only a few minutes of easy driving brought turbo temps right back down into into a safe nominal range.

True practice, very smart to do.

ProTUNED by RaminiSports :icon_mrgr

seem to recall that there was a member who did some nice data logging involving turbo temperature. He concluded from the data that after severe turbo use that only a few minutes of easy driving brought turbo temps right back down into into a safe nominal range.

It's called the cool down lap. Good for brakes as well as the motor.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived