LegacyGT.com

Oil change (topsided) ??

I have a VW TDI (diesel) and the way I change oil there is by sucking it out via vacum (pela 6000) instead of draining it. Woks great and thats the proper way of oil changes in these cars. I put the hose in thru the dipsitck and thats how the oil come out.

I was wondering if I could do the same thing in my new '07 LGT ? It will save me the jacking up, crawling under the car etc. Anyone tried? Opinions as why this might not in the LGT?

Pumping the oil out from the dipstick bore is not a good way to do your oil change. For all engines the oil pan is designed such that it has a depression at the bottom of which is the oil drain plug. This depression is to allow the sediments in the oil to settle down. When you drain it by opening the drain plug you can remove most of these sediments.

Drawing oil from the top will not remove all of these sediments and will hurt your engine in the long run.

So I will recommend that you do the oil change by draining the oil for your LGT as well as for your TDI. Remember Turbo charged cars are all the more prone to engine sludging due to high operating temps and subsequent oil degradation. Thats why VW recommends synthetic oil for its infamous 1.8T engines. Synthetic oil is more resistant to degradation but still you will have to change it periodically by draining out the old oil and not drawing it from the top.

Whoever told you that drawing is the right way to do it is either lying or is blissfully ignorant

So:nono:for drawing oil.

Pumping the oil out from the dipstick bore is not a good way to do your oil change. For all engines the oil pan is designed such that it has a depression at the bottom of which is the oil drain plug. This depression is to allow the sediments in the oil to settle down. When you drain it by opening the drain plug you can remove most of these sediments.

Drawing oil from the top will not remove all of these sediments and will hurt your engine in the long run.

So I will recommend that you do the oil change by draining the oil for your LGT as well as for your TDI. Remember Turbo charged cars are all the more prone to engine sludging due to high operating temps and subsequent oil degradation. Thats why VW recommends synthetic oil for its infamous 1.8T engines. Synthetic oil is more resistant to degradation but still you will have to change it periodically by draining out the old oil and not drawing it from the top.

Whoever told you that drawing is the right way to do it is either lying or is blissfully ignorant

So:nono:for drawing oil.

I have 230000km trouble free on my TDI and have been doing the topsided oil changes for past 5 years. The oil I use there is syntetic for diesel cars (Esso XD3). The correct way to do oil change in that car is topsided... trust me :) you get more oil out that way 0.5L or more vs drainig it... dont ask me how or why...

Correct way to do it in a TDI...

And before you answer think about it ;)

What the diferent between sucking the oil out or draining it if all it come out regardless?

Because it doesn't all come out if you suck it out :lol:

Please give reference to this procedure for a TDI, this is worth framing :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you ever owned a TDI ??? Have you ever tried the Pela oil extractor?? After all these years of ownership and car running strong (I hope this subie will do the same) I think I know what I am doing when it comes to the TDI maintanance.

If this cannot be done in a Subie I understand, 5 years ago I had a gas car and did drain the oil... I hoped I would never have to do that again lol :) ... different car etc... just wanted to know your opinions.

I used to do this when I was a kid because jacking the car was a big deal, but I wouldn't do this today. The pipe is too small and you can't be sure the pipe reaches the bottom of the drain pan. I suppose that if you change the oil often enough, sooner or later all the oil comes out.

However, I don't see much benefit in this either. You don't have to jack a stock LGT to drain the oil from the drain plug. You just need to know what to feel for. Also, you still need to get under the car to change the oil filter and the oil filter makes more of a mess and takes more time (have to open the hatch in the fairing).

+1 for posting VW instructions.

Have you ever owned a TDI ??? Have you ever tried the Pela oil extractor?? After all these years of ownership and car running strong (I hope this subie will do the same) I think I know what I am doing when it comes to the TDI maintanance.

If this cannot be done in a Subie I understand, 5 years ago I had a gas car and did drain the oil... I hoped I would never have to do that again lol :) ... different car etc... just wanted to know your opinions.

Yes, I have owned VW TDI's, and Peugot diesels, and even a Chevy diesel :lol:

Also changed oil on diesels that are bigger than your house, with almost 100,000hp from 14 cylinders, and a sump capacity of 10,000 litres, believe me, I do this for a living :icon_wink

If you suck your oil out thriugh the filling hole, you will not get the sediments that have accummulated in the depression around the oil plug, which is why it's designed the way it is.

But it's your car, so you are free to do what you wish :rtfm:

I used to do this when I was a kid because jacking the car was a big deal, but I wouldn't do this today. The pipe is too small and you can't be sure the pipe reaches the bottom of the drain pan. I suppose that if you change the oil often enough, sooner or later all the oil comes out.

However, I don't see much benefit in this either. You don't have to jack a stock LGT to drain the oil from the drain plug. You just need to know what to feel for. Also, you still need to get under the car to change the oil filter and the oil filter makes more of a mess and takes more time (have to open the hatch in the fairing).

Thanx for this info. If I have get under there to get to filter I might as well do the draining method. Makes sense.

Thought on the fumoto valve in this case?

OMG!!! They still sell this!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/45400-45499/45403.gif

This is what I used when I was a kid ... oh sh*t ... that was a long time ago...

Anyway, you can see why you shouldn't use this. Look at the pipe. It's curled. Even if you straighten it out, it'll curl back. It won't reach the bottom. You would need to use a metal tube plus the oil pan would have to be designed such that the bottom of the drain pan was underneath the oil dipstick.

The funniest thing about this is that I used this for two years and then one day I accidentally exerted too much force on the handle and it collapsed due to atmospheric pressure plus the handle load. Hilarious if you think about it.

Forced me to go buy a jack and jack stands.

you get more oil out that way 0.5L or more vs drainig it... dont ask me how or why...

Because you're also sucking the oil out of the filter, which will hold about .5 liters of oil. If you just use the drain plug and change the filter, you're getting the same amount of oil out.

But if it's more convenient for you to top-side it for some reason, as others have said, it's your car, do what you like.

http://www.pelaproducts.com/HowToUse1.htm

How To Use : PL-650 Big PELA & PELA Pro 14 Oil Extractors http://www.pelaproducts.com/images/PL650-dip.jpg 1) Warm up the oil by running the engine. This will allow the contaminates to mix and to suspend in the oil. Remove the dipstick.

Note: If you can't hold the dipstick comfortably in your hands, then the oil is too hot! Wait for the oil to cool off a bit.

http://www.pelaproducts.com/images/PL650-conn.jpg 2) Select and insert the appropriate diameter extraction tube into the dipstick pipe until it touches the bottom of the oil pan. Connect the main tube to the top of the unit and to the extraction tube.

http://www.pelaproducts.com/images/PL650-user.jpg 3) Pump the handle 4 to 15 times in a row to start the vacuum. The unit will extract the oil automatically. Continuous pumping is not required.

http://www.pelaproducts.com/images/PL650-pour.jpg 4) After all the oil has been extracted, press the release valve located at the top of the unit for 5 seconds. Remove the main tube. When pouring the oil into a container, hold the pump as in the photo and pour gently. Bring the used oil to a recycling depot.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=94811

http://pics2.tdiclub.com/video/cincitdi/oilextraction.html

apparently as far as TDI's are concerned hes not on crack..

But i wouldnt try it on my legacy.

Whatever way you look at it, it's the lazy mans way of changing the oil. If you're going to do the job yourself, you might as well do it right, otherwise take it to Mr. Lube :lol:

^^Yep, jaw dropped on the first oil change $$$ on my wifes TDI. have to say I've never heard of changing oil this way though. Interesting. Have to ask the TDI's mechanic about this.

crazyravr, what year is your TDI?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=94811

http://pics2.tdiclub.com/video/cincitdi/oilextraction.html

apparently as far as TDI's are concerned hes not on crack..

But i wouldnt try it on my legacy.

Like someone already mentioned... since I would have to get under the leggy for the filter I might as well get the fumoto valve and make my life a bit easier.

Now to find out which oil to use is a completely diff post hehe :)

Archived