LegacyGT.com

Help with 5 point harness

flatsphere

Has anyone installed a clip-on 5 point harness using optional bolt on eyes with backing plates? It appears I'll have to remove the seat, pull the carpet up and drill through the floor.

I'd like to keep the car as stock looking as possible.

Cheers!

Unfortunately the 5 point harness is required for time trials and must be approved by technical inspectors before an event.

Roll cage is only required for racing.

Cheers!

that's not a good thing.. you should get a roll hoop at the minimum..

Keefe

The proper way to mount a 5 or 6 point harness cannot be done without a roll cage. Why you ask? The shoulder belts have to be mounted typically within 0 to 10 degrees below the top of your shoulder. This is a requirement in pretty much all racing rulebooks and harness manufacturers that I've dealt with. If you anchor it to the floor, the shoulder belts will not hold you in place and will allow you to slide forward. If you have technical inspectors that know what they are doing, you won't pass inspection with the belts bolted to the floor.

Here's a picture from Simpson's webpage on how the belts should be mounted.

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/images/big_up5pt.gif

Yup. But more importantly, if you don't mount the shoulder straps at the right angle, harnesses cause spinal compression and can cause severe injury in an accident from what I've read. You might see if someone can custom make a harness bar for you. It's a bar that goes behind the front seats, bolts to the b pillar and is held at the proper height by smaller rods mounted vertically betw floor and bar. I've seen them advertised for WRX/STi, but not for the LGT.

I sent him the G-Force PDF stating the same info as you posted just now Scotty. I told him to find out what are his club rules and regs and to see what guideline is falling under.. NASA and SCCA is pretty standard when it comes to time trials racing at an amatuer level along with the safety requirements that goes with them.. I can't imagine a club requiring a harness without a roll hoop to say the least.
Keefe

I sent him the G-Force PDF stating the same info as you posted just now Scotty. I told him to find out what are his club rules and regs and to see what guideline is falling under.. NASA and SCCA is pretty standard when it comes to time trials racing at an amatuer level along with the safety requirements that goes with them.. I can't imagine a club requiring a harness without a roll hoop to say the least.

+1, not to mention the possible suits involved. Or , they just don't want people to race w/out roll hoops/cages?

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• 3 months later...
The proper way to mount a 5 or 6 point harness cannot be done without a roll cage. Why you ask? The shoulder belts have to be mounted typically within 0 to 10 degrees below the top of your shoulder. This is a requirement in pretty much all racing rulebooks and harness manufacturers that I've dealt with. If you anchor it to the floor, the shoulder belts will not hold you in place and will allow you to slide forward. If you have technical inspectors that know what they are doing, you won't pass inspection with the belts bolted to the floor.

Here's a picture from Simpson's webpage on how the belts should be mounted.

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/images/big_up5pt.gif

I had a harness bar in my 944 Turbo that can do this.

Brey-Krause makes harness bars (harness guides) for all kinds of Porsches. This is fine for track days. If you want to club racing, roll bars are minimum requirements, which is what I have in my 944 today.

I've seen similar harness guide setups from the BMW guys.

Archived