LegacyGT.com

What should I do?

Either build my EJ25 that I'm going to be doing a head gasket job on, or save up cash and buy an STI setup? Comments on ideas are greatly appriciated.

Also, if you think I should build the EJ25, what would you suggest for aftermarket internal performance parts for the engine? (pistons, cams, all that sorts of stuff)

Keep in mind that I am 17 and make mininum wage ($8.55), but I got a decent amount of money to spend right now (almost 2k cash)

Thanks!:)

I'd say just fix the headgaskets, do all the maintenance and don't dump a ton of money into the car. Your absolute best bet would be to get the car running, save up some good cash to buy a WRX, maybe an STi, or an 05+ LGT.

I never normally suggest just buying a new car, but I don't think it'd be economically beneficial to you to upgrade the engine.

I'd say just fix the headgaskets, do all the maintenance and don't dump a ton of money into the car. Your absolute best bet would be to get the car running, save up some good cash to buy a WRX, maybe an STi, or an 05+ LGT.

I never normally suggest just buying a new car, but I don't think it'd be economically beneficial to you to upgrade the engine.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Agreed about the maintenance/not dumping money into an LGT. The most beneficial thing to do at this point IMO is get some driver training/schooling. Might seem a little expensive, but it's transferrable between cars, will actually make you a faster driver, and you'll appreciate your car (whatever it may be) much more.

If you're a teen you don't want a WRX. The insurance will be horrific. I was gonna buy one when I was 18. I could afford it and all, but the insurance was thousands a year. That's why I settled on the '96 legacy L. I'm 19 now and pay something like $700 a year. But next summer, or summer after I want to put a faster engine in, but for now I'm really happy just having a working car. I drive it all over the country, take it offroad, etc. I say just fix 'er up, keep 'er running and be happy until you have a good job to pay for mods.

On the topic of mods .... if you find a nice engine/turbo setup for, say, $1500, it's probably going to cost you $3000 by the end because the turbo blew, and something stupid broke, and there was some random expensive part you didn't think you need, and possibly just because you're modding your car on a tuesday you'll need to go spend $300 on some part. Just the way it goes modding an old car. I say save your money and instead of spending it on your car, save up for an apartment for when you move out of your parent's house.

Archived