LegacyGT.com

Max distance run with donut spare tire

It should be in the owners manual, I would suspect something along the lines of as little as possible. I would be wary of the smaller diameter of the tire vs the others. Also make sure it is properly inflated and observe the maximum speed limit labeled on the spare tire itself, usually 50 mph and the spare must be installed on the rear of the vehicle.

MSA5M1104BSTIS_16.pdf

Edited by FLlegacy

I had a flat at night about 200 miles from home in 4th gen. I drove through the WV mountains at about 50 MPH and felt like a sitting duck. Car was fully loaded and no additional spare. My wheel also had a hole in it from whatever pierced the tire, so tire repair was no option even when I got home. Ordered 2 used wheels and have never been without a full-size spare since.

CIMG0196.thumb.JPG.ca0f4916117a645590eb3d98e3791fa9.JPG

I had a flat at night about 200 miles from home in 4th gen. I drove through the WV mountains at about 50 MPH and felt like a sitting duck. Car was fully loaded and no additional spare. My wheel also had a hole in it from whatever pierced the tire, so tire repair was no option even when I got home. Ordered 2 used wheels and have never been without a full-size spare since.

Wow, I have never seen a hole in the rim like that from a flat tire. I wonder what you hit.

If there was room in the truck recess for a full size spare, that would be one thing.

I kept it in the recess. I just left out the foam spacer. My Accord had room for an 18" spare. My 2013 has a full size 17" in the recess.

EDIT: the spare is a 215/45/17, so it is 1.5 inches less in diameter than stock.

Edited by dave g

Wow, I have never seen a hole in the rim like that from a flat tire. I wonder what you hit.

Whatever it was got flung out and left marks on the wheel well liner. Briefly it felt like a flat, then smoothed out. The Advans have mighty stiff sidewalls.

the spare is a 215/45/17, so it is 1.5 inches less in diameter than stock.
You still want to keep the speed way down with that on there - the diameter difference is about the same as the OEM spare - will be hard on the differential as you get the speed up.

Previously, I have gone a couple hundred miles on a spare. Hit a large piece of metal on the highway that blew out my front tire and bent the rim. Had to order a new Tire/Rim, and had to wait like a week for it to show up. I Commute about 110 miles round trip every day for work. Ran on the donut for about 9 days, speeds up to 75mph (oops)... Thankfully I was lucky and had no damage caused to the vehicle from the difference in tires and such. The spare donut has a sticker on it stating not to exceed 55mph, and it is recommended not to driver more than 50 miles on a donut.

• 2 years later...
Do all trim levels come with the same spare tire size, regardless of whether the car is sold running 16, 17 or 18-in. tires? I upgraded to 17-in. wheels/tires on my car, but my spare is a 16-incher.

I would imagine they would supply the same donut for all cars, regardless of trim.