LegacyGT.com

Am I the only one sticking to "normal" oil on my Legacy?

How do you roll? Regular Oil or Synthetic  

218 members have voted

1. 1. How do you roll? Regular Oil or Synthetic

• I'm using Regular oil for the life of my Legacy!
    • Hell no, Synthetic oil is the way to go!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest *Jedimaster*
Regular oil. I ran synthetic in my GTP and for some of the time I had my WRX and it didn't make the car any better and made my wallet lighter.

We are using synthetic in four company vehicles to compare wear over time to dino oil. the dyno oil was changed at factory-recommended intervals of 7500 mi and never showed signes of distress.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I put Mobil 1 in the LGT at the last change but I think I'll switch back to Castrol GTX. I've never run synthetic and am having trouble believing that its any better than dino oil with changes every 5K or so.

I would think that synthetic would be better for turbos, with less shearing breakdown, and less frothing. As well as better surface tension and adhesion, it would leave a slight film to keep parts in the turbo and valvetrain and others more protected on cold starts... but I could be wrong.

I use Mobil one in the Miata, and like it. Maybe it isn't head and shoulders better, and maybe I don't see all the potential benefit, but I can't believe it would be worse than natural oil.

I am actually thinking about royal purple or redline synthetic for a Subie turbo...

Regular ole oil...Havoline to be exact.

I used to be a firm believer in Synthetic, but DINO oil has come along way and with regular oil change intervals there really isn't any need to waste the $$$ towards synthetic.

- The Mortgage Man

I thought it was advisable to run synthetic in a turbo vehicle?

Lots of debates on this topic and threads. IMO it's not necessary. There's even some debates on whether it's safe to use synthetic in a Boxer engine. A few members using Mobil 1 have had significant engine problems. I believe Melayout was one of them.

- The Mortgage Man

I would think that synthetic would be better for turbos, with less shearing breakdown, and less frothing. As well as better surface tension and adhesion, it would leave a slight film to keep parts in the turbo and valvetrain and others more protected on cold starts... but I could be wrong.

I use Mobil one in the Miata, and like it. Maybe it isn't head and shoulders better, and maybe I don't see all the potential benefit, but I can't believe it would be worse than natural oil.

I am actually thinking about royal purple or redline synthetic for a Subie turbo...

I talked to our truck dealer about synthetic. He said they didn't believe in it until they started performance testing some of their plow trucks. Under heavy load the engines ran cooler and the oil held up better in that use. We have no evidence of conventional oils breaking down but we're conducting the experiment anyway.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

The decision was simple for me. I bought my spec.B while the dealership was having a "Free Oil Changes for Life" promotion. I get up to 4 free oil changes a year, so I don't care whether or not it's synthetic.

Every 7500 miles I get a free oil change :p

Every 5,000 miles I do it myself and it gets done right.

[RANT]

I'm astounded at how many people take their car to the dealer for routine maintenance, even free its not worth it.

The dealer's whole purpose in life is to screw you out of money. I go to the dealer to make the best deal I can on a new car and they never see me again.

[/RANT]

My previous car (Saab) and my wife's current car (MB) both came from the factory with Mobil 1 and only require oil changes every 15,000 miles. My previous car's engine never skipped a beat and my wife's is doing fine. It seems that the added cost of synthetic oil is reversed by the reduced frequency of oil changes.

Is there any reason not to do the same in my LGT?

I keep my cars forever so I'll do anything I can to make them last. I can buy a lot of synthetic oil for one new car payment. Mobil 1 or Pennzoil...whatever I can get for about $4 per quart.
It is still ugly.

Archived