LegacyGT.com

DRL Disable, in 10 minutes

I'm so glad I found this thread, I have wanted my DRL'S out for ever. Quick question, do you think the dealership will mess with me on the warranty?

No. However, if you were concerned you could reach your hand up there in 30 seconds and plug it back in.

hey guys ive just installed my hid's and did the mod by pulling out the white connector but now i get no feedback from my high-beams or fog lights :( can anyone clarify how to get em to work without having the drl's pics help too thanx!

just noticed gotta get rid of that pita blue/black wire so after u do that u just plug the white connector back in and should have my fogs and highs back?

Edited by subarulegay

It only took me 5 minutes, I love it. I have an 09 all I did was unplug the white connecter, all I can tell does not work is when my high beams are on the light is off. My cruise control works, is there anything else that won't work? Anybody know, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

First thing i did when i got my 08. took me about 5 minutes.

@Trio - i believe the 09 is the same as my 08 and that white connector should have a blue/black wire in it. Cut or pull that wire out of the connector and tape it off. You should then have no DRL's but retain your high beams, cruise control, and all other functions.

2007 OBXT had to disconnect the blue/black wire and the brown wire from the harness, but after a full read here I was all done in 10mins.

really helped to semi open the white plastic housing with the screwdriver, allowed for much easier wire removal and just tap/push it back in place.

even managed the removal of the seatbelt chime (i.e. white tab/switch in seatbelt housing)

...i cant believe i waited this long.. damn slacker

• 1 month later...

Thanks Deer Killer!! I hate DRL's it takes away the driver's choice of having the lights on or off and cost much more when they burn out all the time! I even got a ticket when I had the DRL's due to standing out much more than the other cars, well the speed didn't help either:lol:!

This took me a while....till I found this thread about the 07' DRL blue/black wire: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=913328&postcount=67

Just a thought Deer Killer, you may want to edit your original post to indicate that this works for other years if you take out the blue/black stripe wire like the above post shows how to do. It would make your thread much more user friendly since it's so big now!

great writeup! read the first page and one guy said i could reach under with just my hand and do it. He made it sound so easy I just had to try it! Just now, in the dark, i went out to the car and felt around for the two plugs and disconnected the larger one on the left. turned the car on and checked, the DRLs did not come on. This has to be the easiest DRL disable ever! no flashlight, no tools, all i did was slide the seat back. The clock on my computer only changed by 2 minutes in the time it took me to do this! I'm spending more time thanking the OP and those on the first page that I read!

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know what the color of wires do in the DRL plug? Wiring diagram? i would like to only disable the DRL and not the rest of the plug.

the plug that you unplug is a designated DRL plug. nothing else is disabled.

as for whether this would work on an 08 tribeca, i'd say go outside and feel around under the dash. it was dead easy to find and report back:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Before my DRL's were disconnected my HID's were a nightmare... Flickering for 30 seconds when I turned them off and would only ignite with the ignition. So if I left the house without turning them on and it got dark or it started to rain.. no lights.

I disabled the DRL's July '11 with 55w HID's working like a charm ever since. Also I have 35w HID fog's and 35w high beams. All working well without issue. Amazing difference driving, especially in crappy conditions.

However, It took me trial and error with several shops to get all the lights installed properly. Labor for the fog lights cost me a pretty penny. But with everything working smoothly for over 6 months I feel it was worth it.

I bought some back up lights too per the mechanic's suggestion that they wouldn't last very long, but I commute approximately 2 hours/day (total) and use my lights on the way home every night.

So this leads me to my next question - why does Subaru not offer factory HID's? For being such a green company and earthy reputation you'd think the energy efficiency provided by HID's would prompt the change. I think the new BRZ will actually make HID's standard

Just wondering, why do people dislike DRL's so much? I don't have a problem if people do the mod, just wondering.

I have had 2 Outbacks for the past 4 years. Both are a "headlamp eaters" - twice a year, they burn out. The headlights are supposedly high performance, and as such, the brighter it burns, the short lived it will be.

These high performance headlamps are rated to about 500-600 hours life.... now like my wife drivers about 2-3 hours everyday, with will have the effect of "consuming" a bulb every 166-200 days, or about two bulbs a year. Most of her driving are during the day, so..... it's no point.

At $20 bucks a pop, I gets on my nerves (I mean wallet).

Like someone said, this should be reserved to motorcycles that really need to be seen.

So... off with DRLs !!!

Put the HID lights in my recently purchased 05 and disabled the DRL thanks to this thread.

It did this before this mod, but wondering if it's normal for the DRL symbol in the instrument panel to stay on. Even when the head lights are on the green DRL symbol is on. It's irritating, especially at night. Is this normal? any way to disable it?

Edited by tighttrash

Put the HID lights in my recently purchased 05 and disabled the DRL thanks to this thread.

It did this before this mod, but wondering if it's normal for the DRL symbol in the instrument panel to stay on. Even when the head lights are on the green DRL symbol is on. It's irritating, especially at night. Is this normal? any way to disable it?

the green headlight symbol lights up whenever the parking light/headlight comes on

Thanks, good to know.

After posting this I went and checked that my parking lights weren't on. They were not. But the symbol doesn't come on with the parking lights. Seems a little redundant to have a symbol in the dash telling you your headlights are on. People complain that they don't like the DRL because they tend to drive at night with them on - so it would seem that the DRL symbol should only show when the DRL are on and not when the HL are on.

It's an awesome car I got for a steal, I can live with the weird light. HID fog lights next.

I actually have a light issue on the dash too, but it's normal for the low beams/parking lights. When I turn on my HID fog lights the high beam indicator light turns on. This also happens appropriately when I turn on my high beams, but it can be a little annoying with the glaring high beam indicator light on when it's only my low beams and fogs on. As long as they all work I'm ok with a little weirdness on the dash.