LegacyGT.com

Anyone else having windshield problems?

Today I got my second "star" from a rock, or can we call it a "rockstar" ?:rolleyes:

It seems to me that this windshield is exceptionally fragile. Anyone else experiencing this? My windshield will definitely need replacing already come summertime.

I was going to but its been about 6 months on the first one with no spreading and another two on the second. We have already had lots of snow, and VERY cold temps. I was up in the mountains last weekend, woke up at 6am it was -12 temp without windchill. Car started up with a little grown, but put the defrost right on and nothing. So, i haven't had any problems. Besides i'm just lazy. I have had worse on other cars with no problems either.

Had a 1/2 moon shape crack on my old outback. Had a windshield company come out and inject this glue type material into it. AFter he was finished you could hardly see the crack. ONly took a couple of minutes and delays you from having to replace your windshield for a bit
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Can y'all please take this to the thread that already exists under Warranty Issues so the reports get consolidated? You'll find my report of two windshields cracking...the last was from thermal stress while running the defroster at moderate levels...the first was thermal stress while the car sat in the driveway on a 70 degree spring day.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

I was going to but its been about 6 months on the first one with no spreading and another two on the second. We have already had lots of snow, and VERY cold temps. I was up in the mountains last weekend, woke up at 6am it was -12 temp without windchill. Car started up with a little grown, but put the defrost right on and nothing. So, i haven't had any problems. Besides i'm just lazy. I have had worse on other cars with no problems either.

You are playing with fire. Sooner or later it will just "go".

Where have you guys gotten yours replaced? I've tried Safelite, but they've jerked me around for weeks about getting a quote for the glass (claim it's a dealer-only item at the moment). My dealer, on the other hand, says they farm that work out, and the company they referred me to also gave me the dealer-only line.

I'm not talking about changing it. When you catch a small nick before it develops into a crack, you can get it filled with epoxy at most car glass shops. That will keep it from cracking and you wont be able to see the repair.

I would have to disagree with being able to see the repair. Maybe in the case of an actual crack, but my first "star" was repaired and filled the outgoing cracks with nothing visible, but the point of impact and where they actually stuck the needle in to inject the resin is still visible, at least in my windshield.

I've got about a dozen or more chips in my glass now, along with my two stars, after a Jan 1 trip over Mt. Hood in the snow. ODOT likes to throw down big chunks of lava rock on the road which in turn become small missles at 60 mph. My windshield is toast. Bastards.

Yeah, same with my repair. After it was done I could only see about 10% of the crack. B/4 the guy from the glass shop repaired my windshield, he called to his office And was told it would only be a week to get in. If I remember, because of the heating filament it was going to cost $300?? It was last year, so don't quote me on that.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

if you get your cracks filled very soon after, then it's likely they can make it look like it never happened because there is no dirt yet in the crack.

also, give your insurance company a call. mine ( mercury ) covers glass repairs for free. ( no deductable ) .. i think you just have to tell them it just happened and that it is not in the driver's view.

... i think you just have to tell them it just happened and that it is not in the driver's view.

Why is that? I have heard that before about the"out of the driver's view..." I would think that a crack that IS in the driver's view would be more impetus to replace the windsheild.

I am not even really sure why that is a qualification at all. If the windsheild is cracked, insurance should replace it, which is the whole point of paying premiums. Why should it really matter where the crack is. The glass is weakened by it, and therefore it should be replaced.

If there is a good reason that location of the crack makes some sort of minute difference, then I haven't heard it. Sounds like an insurance cop-out to me, actually.

Why is that? I have heard that before about the"out of the driver's view..." I would think that a crack that IS in the driver's view would be more impetus to replace the windsheild.

I am not even really sure why that is a qualification at all. If the windsheild is cracked, insurance should replace it, which is the whole point of paying premiums. Why should it really matter where the crack is. The glass is weakened by it, and therefore it should be replaced.

If there is a good reason that location of the crack makes some sort of minute difference, then I haven't heard it. Sounds like an insurance cop-out to me, actually.

Here in GA glass is NOT a free bee, I'll have to pay my Comp. deductable $500 if SOA doesn't pick it up. This windshield is my first and I've been driving since 1964. It sure seemed to break very easily.

Archived