LegacyGT.com

steering whine and stiff steering

tofuman924

Hi i'm pretty new to this forum and my 06 LGT is running into some problems. when my car is parked on hills or flats i have trouble steering the wheel because it is really stiff almost like it is fighting me or something. I think it might be the power steering since its making this whining sound whenever i steer it while its parked and when my foot is on the brakes, but when i let go of the brakes the steering is not as hard but the sound is still there. Another problem is when i steer i notice my headlights begin to dim, like it is sucking the power from it could that be the alternator beginning to die out? These problems really bother me but i dont know whats causing it really, so some help would be great Thank You.

• 1 month later...

Can be a loose or too tight acc belt. Also check and see if you need a replacement.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpghttp://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/141039922.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 2 years later...
ok going to revive my old thread. so i replaced the old ps pump with a new one the steering whine is gone and during cold starts the steering is smooth, but now after i drive the car for a while when i am trying to park the steering gets really stiff like there is no power steering at all. when i am parking there is power steering when i am on the throttle but when my foot is on the brake or no throttle there is also no power steering weird... dont know where to go from there also my mechanic said he does not know what the problem is nor did he ever hear of a problem like this. my car was at a shop once where they did a detailed inspection on it. the guy said my rack and pinion is leaking would that be part of the issue? need help on this guys thanks.

Do you know how to check the PS fluid level ?

If the level is good, try doing some figure 8's at slow speed in a parking lot, going lock to lock on the steering wheel. Do about 3 or 4 and see if that helps.

Last winter a few of us had a hard to steer when cold, issue. I did that fix and it worked. I had my rack replace 2 years ago.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 months later...
alright going to revive this thread. after i changed my timing belt the mechanic changed one of my pulleys which fixed the problem temporarily. the steering was fine at low speed not stiff no whine, but the problem came back. so far what i did to fix the problem is change ps fluid and pump and problem still persist. this is more apparent when it is cold out while i try to get out of a parallel parking spot or get into a spot. it happens when i am pressing my brakes and steer at the same time. also when i get off the brakes during parking and put my foot on the gas the power steering comes back but the whine persist. i have noticed the battery light blinking in the process as well when i steer during parking. i am lost and do not know what to do next would the alternator be the problem? any help would be great thanks.

Here is what I am thingkin...Battery light blinking, means your alternator may/is not be charging sufficiently. Clean battery cables if needed and check the tension of the drive/accessory belt, the whining you hear might be the belt "squeaking" from slipping on one or more pulley. Also if the belt is loos it probably will not have enough "grip" to turn the PS pump under load. You should also be able to take the car in to a shop or maybe parts store and have the charging system checked for free. You will want to make sure Battery Connections are good and check the belt it is probably lose, if you can get to a pulley that the belt is on try spinning it by hand, if you can spin it by hand (Belt stays put) then the belt is too loose, and will slip under load from the alternator or PS pump.

• 3 weeks later...

This sounds like a classic loose belt issue. Have you tried to tighten down your PS/Alt belt?

VERY common issue we see whenever the weather changes.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Still think it is your belt, if it is slipping and not charging enough you don't have enough juice your car wont be happy. Take it to parts store / battery store and have the alternator and battery checked as well. I just had to replace the original battery on my 06.

• 7 months later...

I'm actually having a similar problem. At low speeds, steering is stiff, but gets better when I give it some gas. There is a whining sound that comes along when I try to steer as well, and it gets really loud if I try to turn the wheel too fast.

I'm thinking it's the PS pump, but I wanted to get some feedback before I changed it. Any suggestions?

Archived