LegacyGT.com

KZR750R1 2006 OBXT Head Gasket/Motor Refresh

Did you get a free army guy with the FU bolts?
Nope just a sticker. Guess you need to wait three months for that prize.

kzr, sounds lije you picked a good shop for the machine work. Look forward to speaking with you more about them.

Well I seem to be breaking them into more understanding about these motors. I think they realize that it's time to diversify a bit to stay in business.

Need to confirm bore tolerance from Manley for each piston size. Made a promised to print out the tolerances section of the manual for them, but life held me up today.

Thankful for having a loaner truck to drive, but dammit, totally miss my auto in a 3 hour commute for 52 miles. Reminds me never to leave SJ at 3:45 pm on a Friday.

Edited by kzr750r1

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha! The goal is to never be in traffic in, around, near, or within 100miles of a metropolitan area at 3:45 on a Friday!

Shifting gears sucks, doesn't it? :)

My 5EAT has made me lazy. :[

It's just tedious in stop and go. Just keep rolling and maintain a big cushion traffic permitting.

It's just tedious in stop and go. Just keep rolling and maintain a big cushion traffic permitting.

In heavy, crawling, stop/go traffic, it should be law to maintain less than half a car-length until congestion clears. Don't be that guy that leaves hella room while everyone else is bumper to bumper.

In heavy, crawling, stop/go traffic, it should be law to maintain less than half a car-length until congestion clears. Don't be that guy that leaves hella room while everyone else is bumper to bumper.

The few that get it are far between. Truckers get it. Usually any sort of construction truck... get it.

I am that guy that gives 3 car lengths if I can. If people are put out for 16 more feet of road. F em... They aren't going anywhere fast, go ahead and pass.

Handed over the motor spec sheets from the manual and Manley's spec sheet. Owner operator was really happy with the information. Seemed more confident after he has been enimacating himself on the interwebs as well.

He's going to work on another motor for before me to make sure mine is McPerfect. This other customer is asking for them to spec and supply all the hard parts. So this will be a good first pass for these guys.

I'm good with this as he will likely not be charging for his education time. He's passing initially on mine to let someone else bust his Subaru cherry.

The only problem is, you won't know until it's installed and running. By then you'll already have your block back. Hope it works out.

Oh yeah I get that. But these guys are straight up old school and not interested in ruining 40 years of shop experience.

I'm sure they won't do you wrong by any means, just a little skeptical, because they haven't done Subie motors before. Really hope they get it right the first time. We don't want another Waspy thread again.... :lol:
My wife's balls are delicious.

Handed over the motor spec sheets from the manual and Manley's spec sheet. Owner operator was really happy with the information. Seemed more confident after he has been enimacating himself on the interwebs as well.

He's going to work on another motor for before me to make sure mine is McPerfect. This other customer is asking for them to spec and supply all the hard parts. So this will be a good first pass for these guys.

I'm good with this as he will likely not be charging for his education time. He's passing initially on mine to let someone else bust his Subaru cherry.

Enimacating? McPerfect? Your autocorrect is drunk. And hungry. :lol:

Yes, I plan to have coated forged pistons. Haven't bought the pistons yet.

Looking at the Manley platinum sport compact.

Manley has a good tech document for suggested tolerances based on several different variables. Boost level plan and skirt coating all play a part. Of course I'm getting skirt coating so that narrows the target window. Also impressed they do offer A and B stock piston sizes in addition to the three over bore options.

Machine shop is going to be on my motor soon.

Then parts order.

Then confirm parts measure correctly.

And

Then Build...

Still crossing my fingers for drop ins but at 160K.

IMG_2277.thumb.JPG.38f93c489cce5811757a3d101fa8f37b.JPG

IMG_2281.thumb.JPG.d5a858572bbec023d9bd4a555e130878.JPG

IMG_2282.thumb.JPG.c609d1c486e1d2ed3f91ffd3ea035cb6.JPG

Painfully slow process... a week in and this is as far as we've gotten.

Cyl #1 looks to have been blowing toward the oil return passage, which seems to be the usual. Bores are fine. I don't know about the pistons yet but that isn't important. Everything will clean up nicely to 99.55mm to fit the Manleys. Hopefully another week or ten days without wheels and I'm up and running again.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

So your going to over bore the cylinders to use the 90.55mm? Or your saying you should be able to drop these in with a hone only?

I'm going to drop in on my machine shop Thursday or Friday to check progress.

My dad left a message to call back with an update. I'm getting hit with status questions from all angles with no progress really.

Edited by kzr750r1

The bores haven't been measured yet as the block halves aren't yet apart. We will let the machine shop decide how to approach the target bore diameter of 99.550mm. If it's close enough as it is, they will hone to target. If they feel there's too much meat to take off, bore and hone. The idea with this piston size from Manley is that you should be able to take a stock bore with no scoring or serious wear to the correct dimensions just via moderate honing. This is aimed straight at the guys who would do a drop-in piston but just have too many miles on the block to allow that. I have seen a stock-bore block with a split liner from running at 1.8bar boost. The liners really are critically thin!
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Don't mean to jack your thread here, just giving you guys some idea of what to expect at this sort of mileage...

I'm at 90,000km and always on full synth and high-ish boost.

Cylinder bores oval but not to 0.05mm, therefore okay to bore to 99.55mm

Big-end bearings slightly worn, need replacement. Crank pins clean.

Mains no wear or scuffing at all.

Cylinder block deck surface max. warp 0.10mm

Cylinder head surface max. warp 0.06mm

So, it's not realistic to expect to do drop-in pistons if you have much on the block in terms of miles. I don't even use any oil between changes. Not a drop.

Edited by fahr_side

Yeah. The speck on the left is a void. On the right, the path from chamber to water jacket.

I graduated from meth-head to crack-head.