LegacyGT.com

Steering wheel vibration while turning, at idle - is this normal?

Hi,

I have recently purchased a 2005 3.0R auto wagon which has done 22,000 km.

when i put it into drive, with either the brakes or handbrake on, or when it's moving under the idle power, and turn my wheel, I can feel light vibrations through the steering wheel. it feels "notchy" and vibrations seem to be synced with the engine. I think the pressure from the PS pump is not very smooth. There aren't any strange noises from the engine. The vibrations aren't violent, and the car doesn't shake. Just the steering wheel. The wheel is still easy to turn. But it doesn't seem normal.

This happens when the engine RPM is around 600-800 only, and doesn't happen in neutral, coasting at speed, or when given gas. So i only feel it around car parks.

I have changed the PS fluid (not a flush, just changed what's in the reservoir until it looked clean) which didn't make any difference to the vibrations. The fluid that came out looked quite dark though. Before i changed the fluid, when i turned the wheel to lock, there would be a terrible grinding noise from the PS pump. Doesn't happen any more though. Before i changed the fluid, it was at the correct level, and i got about 1 qt of new fluid into it (and about 1 qt out onto my garage floor and various other surfaces)

I don't think my accessory belt is slipping, i can't hear any squeals with the bonnet & engine cover off and the car has an auto-tensioner.

Before i take it back to the dealer, i'd like to know if the vibrations are normal or not. I have driven much older cars and newer cars from different makes and never had this happen so it doesn't seem normal.

The steering also feels heavier than other cars with PS, about 50%-100% heavier. I haven't driven other legacys so i don't know if this is normal.

The tire pressures are now at 35 psi. My tires are 225mm wide on 18" wheels. when i checked an owners manual on the interwebs, it says the 3.0R comes with 215mm/17". I wonder if the 10mm of extra width makes the PS struggle but that doesn't seem likely...

Also, anyone know which car my wheels came from? they look like subaru wheels but i have no idea which. the car's JDM, maybe it's factory standard. Photo attached

Any ideas?

20120314_170842.jpg.8718d34c1a5111bcdc557959757daec0.jpg

I'm getting the same thing. Mine is an 05 OBXT 5EAT with 102k. At zero speed it takes a lot of force to turn the wheels so it seems normal that any deficiencies in the pump or rack would be exaggerated in that mode. In my case, I can see the drag from the PS pump lower the engine RPMs. It already idles a bit on the low side (thinking TB is dirty). Have you read the 2nd page of this post yet? http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/weird-vibration-jerking-turning-148815p2.html?highlight=steering+rack

Sounds like you've got a flow rate issue with your power steering system. Possible causes include;

-Failing pump

-Blocked/clogged cooler (if you have one)

-Rack that's on its way out

Do you have access to a p/s flow rate gauge?

I have seen that post but my steering is a lot better when moving as there is less friction resisting wheels turning so the problem is different. I don't have a flow rate gauge.. I put in some PS conditioner, will see if it improves in the next few days and then go from there. hope its not the rack or pump because it only did 22000km and this is my first Subaru.

I have seen that post but my steering is a lot better when moving as there is less friction resisting wheels turning so the problem is different. I don't have a flow rate gauge.. I put in some PS conditioner, will see if it improves in the next few days and then go from there. hope its not the rack or pump because it only did 22000km and this is my first Subaru.

Any steering is alot better when moving. My 77 Celica with 215 tires, a 10" steering wheel and no power steering is easily manageable as long as you're rolling.

When you rev the engine, is it easier to turn?

The wheel is always easy to turn and the weight doesn't change much whether i'm stopped or not. when i rev the engine, the vibrations go away. I can feel vibrations when i turn the wheel with the RPM at anything below 900 or so. I think it's worse when reversing than going forward, possibly due to the caster.

The fluid change and conditioner doesn't seem to have changed much. I did plenty of driving after the change (a whole tank's worth) and i can't feel any difference.

I hope it's not anything serious...

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on this? I'm having the same problem. 108k miles on my Legacy. My power steering suffers badly at idle. I have to fight the steering wheel to turn it left or right. The revs drop, and the wheel begins to have convulsions. As long as I rev the engine up above 1k rpms, I don't have the problem at all.

Today, I loosened the power steering accessory belt (which is basically brand new) a little, until I could deflect it about 1/4 of an inch. This seemed to make the problem worse. Now the belt squeaks, and the steering wheel will refuse to turn at times. Tomorrow ill check my fluid levels again, and tighten the belt.

I'm wondering if I caused premature failure in the power steering pump last year when I unknowingly drove the car a few thousand miles with half of the accessory belt sheared off.

sounds a lot more serious than my problem. checked fluid colour? try getting it to light pink. I changed most of the old fluid out which eliminated grinding noises I had at full lock so it did some good.

I had a play with my colleague's 3.0r, identical to mine, and his steering was very slightly worse than mine. so I figured a little vibration was normal for the car and decided to ignore it.

I miss the electric power steering I had on the Mazda 3 though...

• Mega Users
my belt is in a pretty good condition, no signs of fraying anywhere. and i have an auto tensioner... no squeals

Pawlwawl06 said his one is new

your username is great, sorry for trolling.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

my belt is in a pretty good condition, no signs of fraying anywhere. and i have an auto tensioner... no squeals

Pawlwawl06 said his one is new

It's a toothed type belt, so it won't squeal. A few of the teeth may be worn, so a VERY close inspection is required to verify the integrity of the belt.

Been there, done that:redface:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived