LegacyGT.com

Anyone else think Subaru is lacking in options?

I have all but decided to buy a 2005 Legacy 2.5GT sometime in 1H 2005 (any may end up waiting even longer depending on what becomes known about 2006 models). I know I want a 5-speed MT model with subwoofer, STi short-throw stick, and STi MT pedal set. What I really want is a sunroof, but since I dislike leather seating surfaces in cars, I don't want the Limited version. I also don't want to install a sunroof after purchase. Since I drive a convertible now, this sunroof issue could be a deal breaker! I think Subaru is nuts not to offer a sunroof as an option on ALL models. And where are the options that most, if not all, other $25-30K cars offer: HID lights, premium sound, NAV system??? Subaru wants to take the Legacy up-market, but they still have a ways to go IMO. They need to improve their options packages to play with the big boys like Acura and Infiniti! Heck, for about the same price as a 2.5GT Limited, you can buy an Acura TL with STANDARD features like 5.1 DVD/DTS surroundsound and Bluetooth! I really want to like this new Legacy, and I do like it, but it's like Subaru is out to make life difficult.

I do agree with you that Subaru is lacking options. I think I've come to the conclusion that Subaru has brought over the Legacy with not so many options because they're testing the grounds to see if the American public likes this car or not. Hopefully for year 2006, they will step up the game and offer lots more options. Also, don't forget that Acura is Honda's luxury brand--its reputation far surpasses that of Subaru. Therefore, it is able to offer such standard options and have a guarantee that they will sell. Once the name has been established, they won't have trouble selling it. A good example is Sony (different products, I know), which unfortunately lots of their current products are just too overrated, but in the past the quality has been excellent and so the name basically sells itself.
-ben

It's one of those cars that begs to be driven. It's one of those cars that you forget about everything and focus on the driving because the car is that good. I drove it for the third time tonight, and I had a bigger grin on my face than when I drove the '04 Mach 1 Mustang and the '04 Audi TT 3.2. I've compared the Legacy GT Limited to basically everything in the $30K range, and I couldn't find a car that stirred me emotionally more than the Legacy. The only car I would've taken over the Legacy would've been the Audi TT 3.2 hands down, but the TT 3.2 is like $14K more than the Legacy, so price shot that option down. Expect to see later in this model year the navi,and if not later in this model year, most probably the '06 model year. The Legacy is an awesome car, I'll be sealing the deal on mine this week. - Mike

I've been looking in the PICS forum...thanks to the mods for starting a thread for each color option! I also saw PICS of the Japanese interior with NAV system: OMG, those LCD gauges are BAD A$$! And why don't American GT models come with steering-wheel-mounted buttons??? So, as it stands, I'll be looking to get a Legacy 2.5GT (Non-Limited), white exterior with black cloth interior, subwoofer, STi short-throw 5-speed with MOMO knob, and STi MT pedal set. Time will tell if I wait for the 2006 model based on rumors here if NL models have the sunroof as an option.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I agree- I think you should be able to option the car in any combination. Looking back, I'd have gotten the leather, but skipped the sunroof. Not that it's not nice, but it is highly overrated.

All those options cost money, and quite frankly a decked out USDM Legacy GTL is getting up there in price. I do wish Subaru had more flexible options, but Subaru is better than Nissan or Toyota when it comes to options. Even if Subaru takes the Legacy upmarket, they face a big marketing problem. The Legacy needs more than AWD Turbo power to compete with a TL. It needs size and presence. I agree the Legacy is better in many ways than the TL, but it is hard to beat the package that Honda has put together in the TL. Basically everything is standard. If the Legacy had DVD 5.1, Bluetooth, Nav and HIDs you can bet it would be pecking at the heels of a TL in price. ANd the fact that the same basic variation of the Legacy can be had for low 20's does not give it the image it needs. For now I think Subaru has done a good job balancing options with the added cost of building a turbo AWD car. It's easy to forget that turbos and AWD systems cost alot of money. I just wish I could get a GT 5MT with a sunroof. I love sunroofs....but the leather I can do without.

It all comes down to cost. Sure, international versions of the GT could come with all the options that are available in Japan but the price would shoot to BMW/Audi ranges. That's what put me off buying a fully optioned BMW - the cost got to rediculous levels. I'm very happy with what they did with the Sub in Oz.

I just wish what they did off you could get without getting the whole package like BMW offers. THis makes it more expensive to offer but I would have liked to gotten things liek the sunroof without having to get the limited package.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

I agree with that. I got a non-Limited and I do miss the sunroof somewhat. Then again, part of the attraction is the price, there's nothing in that price range that I can think of that I would rather have. All the LGT's competitors are more expensive.

[quote name='SchnellerGT']....... They need to improve their options packages to play with the big boys like Acura and Infiniti! Heck, for about the same price as a 2.5GT Limited, you can buy an Acura TL with STANDARD features like 5.1 DVD/DTS surroundsound and Bluetooth! .....[/quote] Does the TL have AWD as a standard feature? Why is Bluetooth a desirable option?

It is wireless communications between a pda, cell phone, and other devices. in the Acura, it is probably for hands free use of a cell phone. Not that very many cell phones have it, though. It is like having Bluetooth on my powerbook, here. It is a great idea, but it depends on other products to make it useful. I'd be happy with Auto lights, HIDs optional, better stereo upgradeability, one touch down on the windows and sunroof, activated by the remote, or by the key in the driver's door, constant-on cruise control, and other little electronic niceties. Mechanically, from what I've read and seen, the car is spot on, with an STi drivetrain could be stellar.

[quote name='SchnellerGT']I have all but decided to buy a 2005 Legacy 2.5GT sometime in 1H 2005 (any may end up waiting even longer depending on what becomes known about 2006 models). I know I want a 5-speed MT model with subwoofer, STi short-throw stick, and STi MT pedal set. What I really want is a sunroof, but since I dislike leather seating surfaces in cars, I don't want the Limited version. I also don't want to install a sunroof after purchase. Since I drive a convertible now, this sunroof issue could be a deal breaker! I think Subaru is nuts not to offer a sunroof as an option on ALL models. And where are the options that most, if not all, other $25-30K cars offer: HID lights, premium sound, NAV system??? Subaru wants to take the Legacy up-market, but they still have a ways to go IMO. They need to improve their options packages to play with the big boys like Acura and Infiniti! Heck, for about the same price as a 2.5GT Limited, you can buy an Acura TL with STANDARD features like 5.1 DVD/DTS surroundsound and Bluetooth! I really want to like this new Legacy, and I do like it, but it's like Subaru is out to make life difficult.[/quote] Wasn't this exact same issue just brought up? Didn't you specifically post this same thing not long ago? Or was this in the NASOIC forums? Since you seem to be so stuck on the Acura TL and it's options, go get that car and stop complaining on the Subaru websites. And you say, for the same price as the LGT you can get an Acura TL with DVD/DTS. Big frickin deal. Does the Acura TL have All Wheel Drive? Nope didn't think so. Maybe you should go to an Acura website and complain about how you can get a Subaru Legacy GT that will out accelerate the Acura TL and has AWD for $26K, see what kind of a response you get. Or better yet, just run on over to your Infiniti dealer and get a G35x sedan. Just know you'll pay about $7K more for it. But then you might need to complain that it doesn't come in a manual in AWD form. You can't have EVERYTHING for $26-30K you know. Can't you figure it that out?

when is enough, enough? just because other cars have it, it doesnt' mean we NEED it! after your first month of ownership how often are you REALLY going to use it? and BLUETOOTH! who NEEDS that crap in a car. i have a pda with gps that i barely use. do i NEED to replace the audio system? i think not. go sit in a legacy with some of your cd's. my outbacks sound system is far better than the top of the line in the wrx. all i would like for comfort is the center armrest which should have been there from the cars launch. as my father used to say "the more you put in a car the more there is to break down".

Now, now...no flaming, please. The simple difference is that Subaru seems to have positioned the Legacy as a rather pure driver's car. However, Subaru also understands that people would like some niceties, hence the leather and sunroof. I suspect that before long, those options will be available a la carte. But Subaru also seems to have said, in effect, "Here's what we do well. If you want more than that, we can't help you. Sorry." There's no shame in that. There are plenty of cars that can. Now, it isn't that the Acura TL isn't a driver's car. But Acura has identified its target purchaser, and it seems to be one who is into all of the goodies. Cost for cost, however, the GT is a lot of car. As options are added, price creep begins, and the GT begins to look like much less of a bargain. The TL gets very spendy as the options pile up. Subaru could have offered all that stuff, but who would have paid $35K for a Subaru? Very few people. Most would have carped about the whole "Acura is a luxury brand, what is Subaru" thing? As more dilligence is paid to marketplace positioning, Subaru should be able to add more items without killing market share, or alienating its core customer at the cost of gaining new customers. The GT will have some price creep. It's inevitable. Subaru is, however, desperately trying to figure out what they can add, without driving the value equation too far askew. I would also bet that some very careful market research went into what people wanted and would pay for on a Legacy GT. The beauty of the car market is that there is plenty of stuff for everyone. If you want the Bluetooth, and the other goodies, there's a car for you. If you want a more streamlined, high-value driving experience, there's also a car for you. But the perfect car doesn't exist, unfortunately. Kevin

Yes, I did post similar comments on the NASIOC forum... You people mis-read me. I like this car. In fact, I am going to purchase this car! The more "pure" sports car, the better! Keep things simple! I am just saying, why can't I order my Non-Limited with a sunroof? Is it all that difficult for Subaru? I mean, should I pay off an assembly line worker to just do the same job to my Non-Limited as he/she did for the Limited that went down the line before? Why can't I get my car WITHOUT power/heated heats, save some money, and use it towards a sunroof? I just hate that most companies have very flexible options packages, and here Subaru has this attitude, "Take it our way, not your way, or hit the highway." It's kind of arrogant IMO and uncommon in today's marketplace. I live near Atlanta. A local dealer sells the 2.5GT 5MT for around $26.5K and the 2.5GT Limited 5MT for around $31.5K. I'm sorry, but it also pi$$es me off that Subaru thinks I am stupid enough to essentially spend $5K for a sunroof! And when I say $5K, I mean it. This will be a cash purchase!

I think most (if not all) of the folks on this site would agree that the GT could have some additional options that we would all like to see as well as greater flexibility in purchasing specific options (leather without sunroof, sunroof without leather, etc). Unless Subaru loses sales because of this reason (and they become aware they are losing sales for this reason), I don't see them changing.

Schneller, it is rare today to get truly a la carte options. Most things are packaged, no matter who you car shop. And often, the packaging doesn't make a bit of sense. It's crazy, I know. Kevin

Guest *Jedimaster*
[img]http://illfindsomethingtoputhere.com/funforum/images/smilies/mswerd.gif[/img] [quote name='red beast']when is enough, enough? just because other cars have it, it doesnt' mean we NEED it! after your first month of ownership how often are you REALLY going to use it? and BLUETOOTH! who NEEDS that crap in a car. i have a pda with gps that i barely use. do i NEED to replace the audio system? i think not. go sit in a legacy with some of your cd's. my outbacks sound system is far better than the top of the line in the wrx. all i would like for comfort is the center armrest which should have been there from the cars launch. as my father used to say "the more you put in a car the more there is to break down".[/quote]

[quote name='gtguy']Schneller, it is rare today to get truly a la carte options. Most things are packaged, no matter who you car shop. And often, the packaging doesn't make a bit of sense. It's crazy, I know. Kevin[/quote] Sorry, but I just don't believe most companies are so inflexible. For a while, I had crossed-shopped the Legacy 2.5GT against the cheaper Mazda 3 4-door Sport. On an entry-level Mazda, you get nine exterior paint options and three interior options (blue cloth, red cloth, and leather) versus the Legacy's 6 and 1, respectively. No matter whether or not you configure the car with cloth or leather, you also get these options: [b]Moonroof & 6-CD changer ABS/Side-Impact Airbags & Curtains Sport Package (17" wheels and minor exterior modifications)[/b] Interior Trim Upgrade [b]Xenon HID Headlights & Tire Preasure Monitoring System (requires Sport & ABS Packages)[/b] NAV System [b]Compass/Outside Temp Autodim Mirror[/b] Now, an MZ3 can be configured with as many or as few of those options as the buyer desires. A Mazda 3 4-door Sport configured with a 5-speed MT, cloth interior, and all those options above in bold, can be purchased for under $20K. Yes, it lacks a turbo, but it has about the same HP and torque as a non-GT 2005 Legacy. Yes, it lacks AWD. But for about $7K less than a non-Limited 2.5GT, configured as one likes, I don't think you can argue it's not a good value. But, with that said, I'm going to spend $7K more and buy the sportier Legacy 2.5GT. I'm just saying, if Subaru wants to take the Legacy up-market, it does need to at least be able to compete with the likes of an entry-level Mazda. Edit: Oh, and the Mazda 3 is built in Hiroshima, Japan unlike the Mazda 6, which is built in Dearborn, MI.

Tiew! if subaru is flexible, i'd have an STi with the stupid wing-delete optioned already! If you like cloth seats with optionoal moonroof, i suggest you wait for next year's car - MY06. Anyone remembered when the 2002 WRX came out. No option. Take it or leave it. Apparently ppl took it. ;) The Legacy will sell on it's own merit. People who don't want those electronical doodads and prefer a more driver oriented car will go for this. Once you add up all the options in the Mazda3, you should stand back and wonder for that price, is it worth it after all for a little compact car?

I just pulled the trigger on a Legacy GT Ltd Sedan 5EAT. IMO, it's the best car under $40K and beats many cars under $50K (specifically Audi and BMW). But it's not perfect and should have options for: 1. Telescoping and tilting steering wheel 2. Lumbar support that moves up and down (as well as in and out) 3. Better quality stereo 4. Fold down rear seats (sedan) 5. HID lights 6. Navigation system I'd be happy to pay extra for 1 through 4, and maybe 5. Others think a Navi system is critical. Unfortunately, flexible optioning is expensive. Low cost manufacturing (key to lower car prices) requires long runs of the same product. Adding options means: - More engineering - More logistics - More documentation - Bigger inventories of spare parts So if a car company spends money on this, where does it cut money? Engine design? Suspension engineering? Reliability testing? Marketing? Subaru is trying to move up market. Making the right decisions is tough because one major failure can affect them for years. I'm buying the Legacy GT because they got virtually ALL of the basics right. It's a great car in ways that the competition can't match. I can add some features using aftermarket products to meet my needs. With some things (like fold down seats), I'll just learn to live with them. Regards, Dan.

Archived