LegacyGT.com

HELP!!! coil pack connectors

hey guys, had to replace the valve cover gaskets on my 05 gt limited and one of the damn plastic connectors for the coil packs just crumbled as it came off. anybody know of where i can get just the plastic pieces, or anybody have any? Subaru only offers that piece as part of a whole new wiring harness and that is ouch! any help is welcomed.

Are you talking about the connecter for the wire harness ?

Or a plastic clip that holds a wire ?

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4777.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

new legacy owner here. its an 05 legacy gt auto. i got a really good deal on it after researching on here for the clip replacement, the car lot thought it would need a whole wiring harness. my problem is after watching the instructional video on youtube from the ebay seller of the clip, i dont know which wire is power, signal, and ground. i have a faint idea...but im not sure. the connector im working on had the wires cut from clip, its the front passenger side one. i currently assume signal go to top connector (furthest from clip and is brown with yellow stripe), then ground in center (solid black) and power connected to connector closest to clip )black with yellow wire i believe). i tried to look at the rest of the wires but of course each coil has a different set of clored wires from the harness.

please help. sorry if this has been answered, couldnt find much in searches.

It looks like the middle wire is the ecu signal, and the two outer wires are power and ground.

I think the front passenger cylinder is cylinder #1, which is connector E31 in the attached pictures.

So to me, it looks like..

ecu signal wire #1 is blue with a yellow stripe

power wire #3 is black

ground wire #2 is black with a yellow stripe

Except I'm confused because like I said I read that the front passenger cylinder is #1, but there is no brown and yellow wire going to ignition coil #1. In the attached image ignition coil #3 does have a Brown wire with a yellow stripe though, with the brown and yellow wire appearing to be the ecu signal wire, solid black being power, and black with yellow stripe being ground.

Hopefully this will get you pointed in the right direction, or someone else can come in and clear things up a little better.

Also there is a second page to image number two, but I think the one page I attached provides enough information.

ignition1.thumb.jpg.7974b653fa75123412b665d53caf5ed1.jpg

ignition2.thumb.jpg.ff05792645c23bc4b97fe0900a9f03a9.jpg

ignition3.thumb.jpg.4d36c787637a3b669a6928178f2fa0f7.jpg

ignition4.thumb.jpg.3cde01ff9fabe6344fb2f2a8862ac383.jpg

that should get me headed in the right direction. I've been working 12s so its been a few days since I've looked at. It may be a blue wire instead of brown...i do remember a brown for some reason lol. But its for sure the front passenger side coil I'm working on, the one pretty much under the air box. Thanks for your help. Hopefully I'll get some time off soon and put this thing on the road!

hey guys, fixed the clip and got the car running today. it was a little rough, but after some tinkering it finally smoothed out. I do have some concerns though, need some advice.

the car has been sitting in the back of a car lot for about a yr now, they thought it needed a whole wiring harness so I got a good deal after researching and found out I could just by the clip. as we all now the worst thing for a car is for it to sit for a long period of time. so now it has 2 flat tires "all 4 dry rotted", rusted rotors "finally got the rear pads to break lose after releasing e-brake" and replaced the battery, 4 spark plugs, 4 coils, and 1 clip (it was #3 cyl with brown/yellow signal wire *my bad guys)

heres the thing, before I started it the oil seemed pretty thin and dark, but not black...so deff an oil change is gonna happen. but my concern is the sound it made about 4k rpms. it kinda sounds like really bad valve tick "similar to the 240sx ka motors" or a wrist pin nocking. it doesn't do it at idle, or with a slow steady rev until high rpms, 4500-6k. but if you kinda give it some, bout half throttle its really noticeable from about 3k-6k. it didn't let the car warm up to complete operating temp before I did the throttle checks, but I didn't do it on a cold start either, I was just trying to detect any misses or issues before driving off with the car. it has no misses, just the concerning noise. I shut the car off and left it parked for now until I feel confident in driving it off and home for some tlc " coolant, oil, trans if not sealed all changed, new belts and such"

the car is a 1 owner, has 104,000 miles on it. but ive never owned a boxer, never really ridden in one. I have owned a rotary "rx8", so im unsure of if this is normal wear "similar to the older Nissan motors that were notorious for loud valve tick" or if these boxer motors have to be at full operating temp before revving or smoothing out.

can anyone help answer my seemingly idiotic question? I hate to sound like I don't know what im talking bout, but boxer motors are a whole new ball game for me. I know rotary motors has certain quirks, like having to idle before driving because of the oil that mixes with the air/fuel or issues with flooding. curious if I might have a rod/wrist pin nocking, or if I have to just let the car warm up more? sitting for a yr is probably playing a factor, but didn't see any harm in finding out if there is anything special for boxer engine operation.

• 3 years later...

I know is is an old post but just wanted to add an update to info above. First thanks to apexi for the wiring diagrams. They were very helpful. However, please note that the signal wire does not go in the middle. It goes in position 1, the hole closest to the clip in the connector. The ground (black with yellow stripe) goes in the middle position and the power (black) goes in the third hole, furthest away from the clip.

You can confirm by simply following the color patterns on the other three connectors, except the signal wires are different colors: coil 1 signal is blue with yellow, coil 2 signal is green with yellow, coil 3 signal is brown with yellow and coil 4 signal is just yellow. These all go in the first position of each respective connector. Ground and power keep the same colors and positions.

This is confirmed in the install video here.

Archived