LegacyGT.com

1997 Subaru legacy L 2.2 4 cyl starter issue?

Hello folks, I have the above car and it's been a slow starter (having to turn the key several times before it would turn the engine over) lately then today wouldn't start at all. the battery probably needs to be replaced but AAA came by and when he had his diagnostic kit on it and heard the click when the key was turned he said it was my starter. He said he could tap the starter and then I could drive it to a shop but would have to do that right away by it couldn't be turned off. All the lights come on when the key turns in the ignition. Any thoughts on the issue? Thanks!

Sounds like what mine did years ago.

There is a copper disc around the shaft inside the starter. When the solenoid pushes the starter in that disc hits a couple contacts and energizes the starter motor to turn. This disc slowly gets burned away with use.

At the time I was real poor so I took it all apart and did some refurb work in there. That got me about 6 or 8 months and then it was dead for good.

I would say skip all that hassle and just drop in a new starter. It is a pretty easy swap, just be sure to start with disco the battery. I know a guy who saw a guy lose his ring finger when his wedding ring grounded out that big red wire. Sounds like a gun and 'blows your finger clean off'. (You have to use the Dirty Harry voice for that last bit).

Thanks doublechaz... I was just able to start it after 15 turns of the key. And the issue started about a year ago where it sometimes wouldn't start on the first turn of the key and I'd have to turn it twice. So that supports what you're saying and I'd read similar stories on other threads.

Yep sounds just like mine did a few years ago. A new starter fixed the problem, and it was probably the easiest starter replacement I have ever done. If I remember correctly you are able to do the whole job from above the engine, no crawling around underneath!

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like the issue I'm having too. But I can hope up jumper cables or battery charger and it'll turn over like nothing is wrong. Haven't cracked open the starter yet but I'm guessing my contacts and plunger are worn/pitted on the solenoid. Even had AAA Battery to test too. They said battery was fine. Took the starter out many months ago when it first started and had it bench tested and it passed. But I have a feeling all the parts guy was looking for was weather or not the gear engaged and not how much current it was drawing.

Just been trying to figure out which new plunger to order, the long or short shafted one from Amazon.

What fails more often than the plunger are the two copper contacts inside. They wear super thin. If you have a starter/alternator shop in town they will stock them for a few bucks a piece. eBay or here is a good source: http://www.discountstarterandalternator.com/p-35140-solenoid-repair-rebuild-kit-acura-lexus-subaru-toyota-plunger-contacts.aspx?CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CjwKEAiAnLGjBRCk_I-y_4iAmB0SJADGjWWz4nrJqBhp5VnbYD-T4O6lqO4FeSsk2XbLAvWw1gv84BoCqB3w_wcB

Way cheaper than replacing the starter.

A good diy: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/starter-solenoid-rebuild-click-but-no-start-fix-192651.html

Archived