LegacyGT.com

Timing belt install problem..

Ok.. so I have researched this, and can't figure out why my right cam gear has no timing mark!! The gear does not even have the edge where the mark would be.

I do have the arrow, and I put it over another gear and come to the conclusion that the timing mark should be 7 teeth over. I have marked it and am going to give it a try..

Has anyone else seen this type of gear?

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7049/img4129e.jpg' alt='img4129e.jpg'> Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Thanks

Your right cam gear is marked correctly. See that white paint to the left of the arrow? That is where the hash mark is. It is exactly 7 teeth over from the arrow, the arrow being 1.

Here is a pic of one of mine.

edit: Your gear does look strange though. You don't have a flange that covers the teeth. I wonder if it is from an earlier 1.8L Subaru.

righttiminggear.thumb.jpg.5c7bcd4f8eb13fbebf7bda1a3689d191.jpg

Thanks for the reply... The other thing is... and maybe I am counting wrong..

But I can install the belt, and line up all the marks no problem, but the 44/40.5 tooth count is off.?I am counting from the crank gear outwards. Are you supposed to start at the next one over?

As a matter of fact, I have the new oem belt here in my hands, and I still get a different count between the the 3 lines on the belt...

Archived