LegacyGT.com

Dead Pedal - can't get my foot comfortable

dmdoub

I have a 2006 Legacy GT with automatic and am having the worst time trying to get my left foot comfortable on the dead pedal. I feel as if there isn't enough room for my foot to lay flat. The width of the dead pedal isn't the issue. My foot extends past the pedal, and the carpeted area right above it has some bumps and curvatures that interfere with where I want to lay my foot. The bumps force my foot to the right just enough to be uncomfortable. Shoe size shouldn't be a factor as I only wear a size 9. Is anybody else experiencing this problem? Any solutions?

Possibly an aftermarket dead pedal may help. Many options...Momo, etc.

I have the Momo "stealth" (if I recall correctly) and it still feels a little crowded and I don't have giant feet. Perhaps some dead pedals are bigger than others.

To install you just screw the pedal in on top of the other (self tapping screws) and maybe use a little glue as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I felt the same way about the foot rest so I went ahead and installed a Sparco Dead Pedal.

I couldn't resist so I went for the matching pedals too. It worked really good for me. I just feel

like I can position my foot better. I mounted it flush with the floor but it can be modded to raise

it up a bit to give some clearance over those bumps.

Pedals.jpg.7ea0573246c1c93bd97711678d7707ca.jpg

\\

where? how much? those look damn good.

how do they attach?

bill

The Dead Pedal was ~$40, and the pedals were ~$60. I got them from Cardomain.com.

The Dead Pedal was easy to install. It comes with a smaller mounting plate that has 4 holes at each corner and 2 larger nuts in the center for the DP to attach to.

First, I removed the stock plastic DP by using a razor to seperate the glue from the carpet. Then I put a little double sided tape on the mounting plate and positioned it with the DP attached. Next I removed the DP and drilled pilot holes using the mounting plate as a guide. Then I attached the mounting plate using sheet metal screws. Finally, I attatched the DP to the mounting plate placing a spacer on the top bolt between the DP and mounting plate to give clearace over the small hump on the upper left side and presto chango better foot positioning.

As for the Pedals, I'd have to recomend getting the WRX Pedal covers. Much easier to install. I had a hard time with the pedals becuse they requre drilling and the correct positioning is difficult to get. My clutch and brake are farther apart which I like since I have size 12's but now the brake is too close to the gas. I think that I have a solution to fix it though. I really do like the larger size of the pedals, I felt like the factory ones are way to small for my big feet but the fact is that there just isn't much room down there and the factory pedals don't have much room for correct positioning.

Excellent. I was thinking a wider dead pedal would be my only solution, and I knew somebody would come through with an already installed example. Also, I'm glad to hear that you were able to install a spacer to clear one of the humps. Thanks, I'm That Guy. I'm heading to Car Domain right now.

Archived