LegacyGT.com

Strut Replacement 05 LGT Wagon Advice/opinions

Essentially my 05 LGT wagon has a void where the suspension should go. Aka struts need replacement.

I'm thinking about putting on koni's and buying new OEM springs. Yes, I know, if you're buying koni's you should put better springs on it. My only issue with that is that I want the extra lift that the wagon springs offer as I tow a trailer with it sometimes. I'm not a fan of just spacing out the rear struts. This car is mostly stock and is a daily driver. I drive aggressively but I don't need full blown race car suspension characteristics just something better than stock that's not too harsh.

So a few questions for you guys.

1. Am I a complete fool for not going swift wagon springs or does the Koni+stock springs still improve the handling of the car? Or do I go JDM wagon springs? If so, where do you even go about getting a set of new ones?

2. I plan on replacing top hats, possibly lower rear control arm bushings on top of the springs/strut. Is there anything else I should be replacing when I do this job?

Thanks for the help. I've trolled numerous threads on shocks/struts and really would like some of your input on if this is a good route to take or not.

You should consider King springs. I just put together a F&R set with new KYB struts and new top hats but haven't installed them yet. I didn't want to drop mine since I haul a lot of stuff here and there, it's a DD and the streets are crappy in NYC. The King springs are 30% stiffer than stock with a slight raise and are perfect for what I needed. The stock ones were sagging over an inch and a half at 84K miles so new ones were out of the question. I got the King springs from Primitive Racing.

Zack K.

I replaced the struts with Konis at 75000 miles and stayed with the original stock springs. You will feel the difference. My objective was to clean up the float at the rear end and firm things up. It's not a race set-up but works well on the street.

Better decide on the rear adjustment to the Konis when they get installed. It's nearly impossible to do an adjustment without tearing out a lot of trim panels. My preference was full soft or one click.

You should consider King springs. I just put together a F&R set with new KYB struts and new top hats but haven't installed them yet. I didn't want to drop mine since I haul a lot of stuff here and there, it's a DD and the streets are crappy in NYC. The King springs are 30% stiffer than stock with a slight raise and are perfect for what I needed. The stock ones were sagging over an inch and a half at 84K miles so new ones were out of the question. I got the King springs from Primitive Racing.

Zack K.

Thanks. I've never heard of King Springs before. I'll definitely give those a look. Is there a specific reason why you went with the KYB vs koni?

I replaced the struts with Konis at 75000 miles and stayed with the original stock springs. You will feel the difference. My objective was to clean up the float at the rear end and firm things up. It's not a race set-up but works well on the street.

Better decide on the rear adjustment to the Konis when they get installed. It's nearly impossible to do an adjustment without tearing out a lot of trim panels. My preference was full soft or one click.

That's kinda what I want. Something that makes the car a tad bit more aggressive. Yet be able to daily drive through the rough roads in the midwest. Is there a write up on how to remove all the interior trim to get to the strut mounts? I haven't been able to find anything here.

I went to the local subaru dealer yesterday to see how much springs/strut mounts would cost. Quoted me 80 for each spring and 100 for the mounts. That seems super expensive. Really makes me think twice about going oem springs. Do any of you know the turn around time to get things from fred beans? I was hoping to do all of this next weekend but with the dealer prices I'll have to order from someone else.

Thanks. I've never heard of King Springs before. I'll definitely give those a look. Is there a specific reason why you went with the KYB vs koni?

That's kinda what I want. Something that makes the car a tad bit more aggressive. Yet be able to daily drive through the rough roads in the midwest. Is there a write up on how to remove all the interior trim to get to the strut mounts? I haven't been able to find anything

I went to the local subaru dealer yesterday to see how much springs/strut mounts would cost. Quoted me 80 for each spring and 100 for the mounts. That seems super expensive. Really makes me think twice about going oem springs. Do any of you know the turn around time to get things from fred beans? I was hoping to do all of this next weekend but with the dealer prices I'll have to order from someone else.

There's a few reasons why I went with KYB's

I got them cheap; $150 for all 4 new ones.

I don't have the time to modify the stock struts to accept Konis.

I didn't want any stiffer struts since it's a DD and the King springs will make it stiffer already with decent rebound.The Oem ones are KYB's and they still feel fine to me at 96K,so I'm sure new ones will be an improvement.

Did the dealer want $100 for all 4 mounts or just 1? I got rear aftermarket for $20 each and Oem fronts for $40 each since non OEM fronts suck.If you think $80 each for Oem springs is expensive,King might not be for you;I paid $439 shipped for all 4

Zack K

You don't need new springs unless your going stiffer or they are damaged.:spin:

I'm running konis with stock 120k+ springs.

$300 for 'stock' kybs, or $500 for adjustable konis. There's no reason not to buy the konis.

$300 for 'stock' kybs, or $500 for adjustable konis. There's no reason not to buy the konis.

When I measured my stock springs at 84K, they were 3/4 to 1 1/4 lower all around, that's considerable sag to me; loss of travel. When loaded, car would scrape in the rear. I used 2 MR.Gasket spring spacers in the rear to bring it up an inch. Working great so far, cool product. When I get a chance, the KYB's and King springs will be going on.

Zack K.

Maybe I'm used to BMW's where all the coil's sink over time. Plus since i'm already there, I'll just go ahead and swap them out for the peace of mind. :lol:

There's a few reasons why I went with KYB's

I got them cheap; $150 for all 4 new ones.

I don't have the time to modify the stock struts to accept Konis.

I didn't want any stiffer struts since it's a DD and the King springs will make it stiffer already with decent rebound.The Oem ones are KYB's and they still feel fine to me at 96K,so I'm sure new ones will be an improvement.

Did the dealer want $100 for all 4 mounts or just 1? I got rear aftermarket for $20 each and Oem fronts for $40 each since non OEM fronts suck.If you think $80 each for Oem springs is expensive,King might not be for you;I paid $439 shipped for all 4

Zack K

He quoted me for 100 for each mount. I was expecting 50ish range. That's what I thought was absurd, not the price of the springs.

Is there a write up on how to remove all the trim pieces to get to the rear strut mounts? I've look here and on the outback forums with no luck.

Is there a write up on how to remove all the trim pieces to get to the rear strut mounts? I've look here and on the outback forums with no luck.

Very easy. Pull up the big floor cover that covers the storage tray and the spare. Once you raise it enough, it'll come right out. The next panel ahead of that and behind the rear seats hold with 3 clips to the floor. 1 in the middle at the rear and 2 in front at the corners by the seats. Pull up

, and once they release, just un-Velcro it from the carpet that covers the back of the seats. Should be done in a few minutes.

BTW, remember that if you get the Konis, you WILL have to modify the front stock struts to accept the cartridges. If you don't have a garage, vise or at least a pipe cutter and a file, don't start the job.

Another reason why I got the KYB's, the front and rear are complete assemblies. I was able to build up a complete set of struts/springs, and just swap the whole assembly when I'm ready; no reusing ANYTHING from my current DD.

Zack K.

Modifying the stock struts is not rocket science. There's a ~2in margin for error in cutting the stock ones. A monkey with a hacksaw could do both of them in 30min. A HF sawzal would take <10min.

You will need a vice or a friend to hold the strut to drill the hole in the bottom. IRRC it was a 1/2in drill bit.

• 4 weeks later...

If you still need help, check out my Koni install walkthru pics on FB. You should be able to view them here:

https://www.facebook.com/paul.andrews.7165/media_set?set=a.1194560434530.30932.1544025094&type=1

Archived