LegacyGT.com

instead of replacing my pcv valve and hose,s. should i do a aos, or catch can

well im going to do my pcv valve in a few weeks . but , my buddy runs a aos.. think he has the grimspeed oil cap one

i was thinking aos or a catch can

wondering if anyone else has done either of these. and is it worth doing .

he swears by his . hes got a 08 sti... ive seen some write ups on them i was just wondering if peeps with the leggys had any input as well before i order my pcv stuff...

im new to all this turbo stuff so i ask before i buy stuff that i dont know 100% about ...

thanks in advance

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I run a dual Moroso AOS setup on my car - one for the valve cover breathers, and one for the crankcase. The breather can doesn't catch a thing, whereby the crankcase can catches a marginal amount of mayonnaise and a fairly decent amount of water. (I attribute the water to the condensation I see a lot of this time of year.)

Is it worth the money and effort spent? I suppose that depends on how much vapor your car is pushing through your PCV system, and how much you care if the engine ingests that shit or not. I was already elbows-deep in maintenance when I put my cans and check valves in, so it was more of a monetary investment for me than time.

AOS are really only effective if you track your car. A GS AOS is a good way to hydro-lock your engine if you run on CCW tracks as the oil is forced out the passenger side of the engine and can't make its way back to the oil cap. On top of which, the oil cap can no longer be removed by hand (you need a 19mm wrench to remove the oil cap and a fine touch to put it back on without destroying the O-Ring).

If you need an AOS, get the Crawford AOS v2 @ ~ $345. It deletes the PCV valve altogether. If you need a catch can, you can add it later.

Keep in mind, you can still drain your engine of oil even with an AOS and/or catch cans. You still need to watch your oil levels. Especially, if you are tracking it (autox, rallyx, lapping (cw/ccw) ).

YMMV. Proceed with Caution. Just 'cause you saw it on an Sti, doesn't make it right.

BTW I found a GS AOS clone for half the price. $159

http://www.speedelement.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=2980&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=38

I'm considering running this if the oil problem of mine doesn't go away. Car never sees the track mind you.

Not going to fix your problem. That track users have the most problems with the GS unit just means they drive their cars harder, not that they are the only ones having issues with it.

others have tried it and removed it, even DD'ers. Having an oil problem and adding a part that is known to cause oiling issues is just asking for a blown engine.

Archived