LegacyGT.com

Tire Q

ColdBore

I'm buying a set of Axis Xplode's 18x8 +45mm

i was going to run cooper zeon RS3-A 225/40/18

but my roomate says with the amount of power ill be running next month ( 350-450 whp depending on how i wanna tune[ scared of to much power on stock tranny]) i wont be able to get traction. my dad owns a tire shop so i can get tires for cheap but what should i run. my roommate recommended v12 rating..ideas?

If you want ultimate performance for the street, go with the Yokohama Advan AD08.

If you have a smaller budget in mind, go with the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs. The Advans (IMO) are only marginally better than the SSs.

The Kumho XS is a very budget friendly choice, but is not great in the rain.

The PSS is a step below all of these tires in ultimate dry performance. They should be about par with the Kumhos in the wet.

Check tirerack wet tests. PSS are better in wet.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=148

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=118

Interesting data from both tests (since it is tirerack facility they should be comparable I think, 2 year difference between tests does not help and different cars used but both BMW 328i coupe) is that extreme performance tires are better at stopping in both wet and dry.

Krzys

Check tirerack wet tests. PSS are better in wet.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=148

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=118

Interesting data from both tests (since it is tirerack facility they should be comparable I think, 2 year difference between tests does not help and different cars used but both BMW 328i coupe) is that extreme performance tires are better at stopping in both wet and dry.

Krzys

The subjective rankings are for comparison within their respective classes only and can't be used as comparison across the boards.

However, if you move further down the respective pages using the actual data, the XS still bested the PSS in all but wet lateral grip in those tests and to be honest I'm still a little skeptical about that. I have a feeling the tests done for the extreme performance summer tires were done on a cold(er) day.

what kind of car does your roommate have? does he even know what you have? Traction?? your car's awd - dry conditions traction shouldnt be a problem unless you are racing it then thats a different tire category. way to much traction and your gonna break something because you need slip and the tires are the easiest way to slip then any constant mesh objects

and i hope you dont drive like an idiot in wet conditions

apart from that, hope you find a tire that suits your needs

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

The subjective rankings are for comparison within their respective classes only and can't be used as comparison across the boards.

However, if you move further down the respective pages using the actual data, the XS still bested the PSS in all but wet lateral grip in those tests and to be honest I'm still a little skeptical about that. I have a feeling the tests done for the extreme performance summer tires were done on a cold(er) day.

I meant that absolute numbers should be comparable but we do not know the temperature during the tests so they may not be.

Krzys

a. until you make 500+awhp you wont have any problems breaking traction between 1st and 2nd.

b. i want to see your build if it makes anywhere near 450whp.

c. your room mate is an idiot

d. cut us some tires discounts. 225/40/18 bfg gforce super sports please.

what kind of car does your roommate have?

tree fiddy Z

a. until you make 500+awhp you wont have any problems breaking traction between 1st and 2nd.

b. i want to see your build if it makes anywhere near 450whp.

c. your room mate is an idiot

d. cut us some tires discounts. 225/40/18 bfg gforce super sports please.

A. Good to know

B. i will, but its more than likely gonna be another set up, i dont know what to expect with this or how long ill run it

C. ehh...hes a diesel mechanic not a tire guy...truthfully im the idiot here.

d. i was considering selling tires on the site but i dont know how much interest there is or if theres gonna be any profit having good prices because of tireslut.com.

The rest of you gentleman thaks for the help, ill let you know waht i decide on

I have been running PSS @ 225/40/18. After 2 track days, 2 autox, and about 600 miles of DD, I'm down about 3/32.

At the track/autox: In cold weather, they are slippery. First time I ever spun my car on dry pavement was on PSS at 40 degrees. Above 60 degrees, they are very sticky. They give way gradually (finally get what it means to "drift out" completing the turn). Wet traction was a bit iffy (however air temps were in high 40s).

On the street, they have been fun. Wet traction is bit iffy, even there (cold weather).

Been running stock pressure (35/32), however, my tire guy said to start at 37/35 cold for track days. Will be trying it out on Thursday.

Archived