LegacyGT.com

Keeping failed warrantied parts?

shrike1201

I was wondering if you had a failed major part that will be replaced under warranty, say a transmission or turbo, does the dealership let you keep it?

That would set up some strange side businesses wouldn't it? Imagine a tranny shop that drives around to all the dealers in the land and collects their trannies and rebuilds 'em for remarket...

I wouldn't doubt subaru possibly keeping them and refurbishing them, depending on the part. A lot of warranty work inside and outside of the automotive industry is done with refurbished/remanufactured parts.

they usually are kept in the parts department until subaru either calls them back for evaluation or tells the parts dept to scrap them. they will call them back if a common problem is occuring and they need to find a fix, or if they suspect the dealer of making bogus warranty claims and want to audit them.

I was wondering if you had a failed major part that will be replaced under warranty, say a transmission or turbo, does the dealership let you keep it?

Part like transmission goes back to Subaru to make remanufactured tranny's. No idea what happens to turbo's.

Archived