LegacyGT.com

Windows Not Sealed And Warp Out With Crosswind

dahoseman

I wasn't sure where this belonged and I didn't see other threads, so I posted it here. I have the same problem with my new-to-me 2005 OBXT that I had with my '99 Forester. When driving through a strong cross wind on the interstate (usually I70 or I80 across the plains), my leeward windows bow out slightly from the crosswind vacuum sucking them out ever so slightly. This happens with either side, depending on which direction I'm driving and which direction the wind is coming from. In all other situations, the windows seal just fine. However, when it does happen, it's pretty awful. It creates a pretty loud wind noise/disturbance in the cabin that let's a little moisture in if it's raining, interferes with music, hampers conversation, and is generally very annoying. Since Subarus don't have frame rails to prevent this from happening, I'm not sure how to fix it.

Any ideas or previous experience with this?

It happens to my 99 Forester, this 2005 XT, and a friend's 2009 wagon in any location where large wind farms are common.

I doubt new stripping would help. The windows bow out. It goes away if a semi blocks the wind, we drive behind a small hill, or the road turns so that the wind isn't at that perfect angle to create the vacuum. If there are strong gusts, the windows can get pushed out 3/4 inch briefly. It help to actually roll the window down a slight bit, which seems to equalize some pressure and allow the windows to recontact the molding, except that then I have a window slightly open, which causes the same noise problems I want to avoid.

I'm considering getting a bit drastic and having an attachment to the roof rack that can clamp the windows against the weather stripping during long drives.

Mine does it with a strong crosswind if I'm at highway speeds. It annoys me but it happens rarely enough that I don't have any real plans to try and stop it. It has to be really windy for it to be an issue for me.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Was pretty gusty coming back from CT today and had some howling windows. Haven't noticed the window actually moving but I'll get a high pitch whistle from time to time. Ruining with my roof rack on exasperates the issue. I love my frameless windows but you do sacrifice that seal. Don't really think there's an easy way around fixing that

Ah, thanks for all the info. It only happens when driving over 65-70mph (usually 85 through the plains) and definitely has to be really windy (I think greater than 25mph crosswind) enough to lean the car a little bit generally. I drive through those areas fairly frequently; enough that something has to be done about it, no matter how drastic. Driving for hours with the sound of a jet engine from one side of the car drives me insane. I really dislike the frameless windows design, but the rest of the car makes it well worth it.

If I can make the windows tighter against the stripping, that would be great. There is a definite difference in which windows go first and at which speed. If I could tighten up the windows and fix it, that would be awesome.

The worst window is the passenger rear. Do I use the same technique in that manual for front and rear?

This happens on my 2005 legacy sedan driver window, after it was replaced due to a break-in. The repair guy said he hates frameless windows and has a tough time getting it to seal correctly. Grab the vacation pics even if you aren't having this problem, in case you need to have a window replaced by someone else like I did.
No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

• 3 weeks later...

Mine pretty much only happens in areas where it's common for the highway or interstate to be closed due to wind (twice in one week on 285 in CO and once within the week on I80 in Wyoming). I'm all about functionality (why I buy Subaru) and I'm baffled by the decision to use frameless windows. It's especially baffling since Subies are frequently purchased specifically for mountainous weather where ice freezes/thaws on windows and causes the glass to get torqued at funny angles when operating because there's nothing to hold it in a track.

I'm going to remove the rear door panel and try to adjust the gussets (??) or whatever corrects window angle.

• I Donated Too
let us know how you get on. I did mine, it is better but it's not at all gone completely. It's a very frustrating procedure unless somehow you get lucky. I'm planning to replace my surround and I'll have to play with the adjustments all over again or I'll be too tight on any new rubber.

Archived