LegacyGT.com

Will a 2010 6 speed bolt up to the 05 ej255

Ive done some searching, and nothings coming up thats helping me at all, id like to know if anyone has any gearing numbers, any info on what I would need for the swap. Also does anyone know what differences there are between the 05 ej255 and the 2010?

That's a good question. The new 6MT wasn't bolted to an EJ engine.

I'd be surprised if it DIDN'T swap, though.

The real question is, why? It's not any stronger than the 5MT you already have.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Correct me if im wrong but wouldnt you also need to change everything just like if you were to do and sti 6sp conversion?

That's two steps ahead. That doesn't matter unless the trans fits. I'll have an answer in a little while about that.

In all likelihood, you would probably need the driveshaft. I believe they use an R160 like the old cars, but you need to ensure the final drives are correct to use the stock rear diff.

Obviously there is no DCCD, but you will have to sort something out for mounting the shifter.

Front axles, hopefully, would be a swap from the 5th gen.

But, again, why even consider this swap?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Theres a guy I know who has a rolled 2010, and my synchros are messed up in my 5mt, none of it REALLY matters right this moment, since the car has bee out of commision for some months needing a new motor, sitting in my yard. So, just wondering if it would be easier to swap in this 6 he has, then to do a spec b swap.

And Bac5.2... What do you mean the new 6speeds werent on an ej, thats what the 5th gens have, its still a ej255 engine code.

Ah, that's right. I keep thinking of the FB25 or whatever the new engine code is.

If the bell housing pattern is the same, then that's a nod in the right direction. We know it takes a 5MT mount, and I'd be shocked if the trans crossmember was VERY different. Driveshaft is almost certainly different, but if the carrier bearing is in the same place, there is a good chance it'll swap. I don't recall, and don't feel like looking, to see if the wheel base is the same between the 4th and 5th gen. That will give some insight to the driveshaft fitment.

Front axles, I bet, use the same splines as the 5MT either at the hub, or in the case, which means you could likely use axles from one car or the other with success. Checking track width would help clear that up, too.

So, just wondering if it would be easier to swap in this 6 he has, then to do a spec b swap.

If everything bolts up just right it MAY be cheaper to swap in the 6 speed he has, though it sounds like you may be pioneering that particular swap.

The spec.b/STi 6 speed may cost a little more in parts, but at least it has been done before so it has the potential to be much less of a headache. Also, the two transmissions are not equal. The new 6 speed in the 2010+ LGT is basically a bastardized 5 speed with an extra gear crammed into it. The spec.b/STi transmission is completely different and is considerably stronger.

I understand the strength differences, and im just weighing that against cost. More then anything I think id prefer a spec b trany over the sti, but If this works, then ill keep it in for as long as I can, the tranny only has like 2k miles on it.

I believe the MY10+ lgt 6 speed uses a cable shifter too. Something to think about...

Ding ding ding!

Convert the '10 6MT to rod shift? Not sure if that's feasible. Convert a 4th gen to cable shift? Bring your fire-proof underwear because there's a special place in hell waiting for you. ;)

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

The split-case 6MT can't be converted to a rod shifted trans. You'd have to make an adapter plate to bolt the cable shifter assembly into the 4th gen.

You are talking about a good deal of work, no matter how you slice it. Bearing in mind that it would cost somewhere under $1500 to fix your current transmission, it is a no brainer to simply fix what you have.

Archived