LegacyGT.com

more dealer sucking

groff

I've walked into 2 subaru dealers, one at home, one at school...both times I've been dressed sharply, I'm not looking like a hobo, I didn't drive in in some riced out civic or something, and I don't even get acknowledged at the door. So I approach someone, say I'm interested in getting a car, an 05 legacy, but I'd like to see anything in the current legacy line up, and then they try to sell me say an 05 outback, or an 04 impreza 2.5rs, or a 98 legacy, and the list goes on :spin:... I say no, I know what I'm looking for, then they 'take my name and number'...liked they'd ever call to begin with-

If you don't have the exact car on the lot I'm looking for, thats fine, but at least don't disgrace me by thinking I know nothing about what I'm looking for. I just want to see in person, sit in, maybe even, oh I don't know DRIVE a Legacy before I buy one, is this too much to ask??

PS, does anyone else think that SOA should develop some sort of system to track used vehicles among the dealers like they do with the new cars? If dealers can trade around new cars, why not used ones? :confused:

yes...I've looked at the inventory at each dealer in a town I recognized in NY (there were maybe 5 I didn't know). Its frustrating not being taken seriously though, I'm not sure what gives here, I don't look like some punk kid, I have the cash in hand, theres gotta be at least 5 salespeople in the showroom not talking to anyone at a given time, you'd think they would be more eager to sell a car, be it new or used.

oh well...life goes on...still looking though-

Been there........just go to the next stealership. If they wont even talk to you, they arent worth your money.

You might be better off finding a used one off this board aswell......I had mine posted on here for a few months before it finally sold on Autotrader.

Good Luck!

Ben...

i've been watching the board for a few months now...almost moved on Jim L's car, few things that didn't match up with me though.

the problem is that I would like to be able to get to know all the options and finer points of the LGT before making the move online. I've searched and read everything about LTD and non, but I'd still at least like to be able to sit in the car, feel the clutch etc. I have no intentions of buying from a dealer, but I have a good enough poker face to make it seem like I do :D ...they just don't even offer the right family of Subaru to me when I try to talk to them

I would try the internet manager of any of those dealers. E-mail their internet sales, tell them you're interested in a SPECIFIC Legacy ('05 GT Limited or non) and that you'd like to come in to look at it and test drive it. Set everything up online so when you walk in for your appointment it's all ready to go. Like you said, if you're comfortable telling them you might buy and you have the poker face, why not just set an appt. to go in? :) GOOD LUCK! :D
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

listen you have to remember it is their livelyhood, they want to make money.

it is the salesmans job to try to sell you a car and if he can turn you on to something else he did his job. your "poker" face might not be as good as you think, when your in sales you develop a "sense" for these things...

I'd say I sat there for, maybe two minutes while she looked at the list, some other guy walked by and said something about the impreza, or how it would be cheaper to buy an 06 over 6 years than it would be to buy an 05, I just ignored him pretty much.

I'm fine not dealing with the dealer, and I understand what you're saying lucas, it is their job, but still, I guess I had higher hopes. I've probably had more success walking into the local dodge dealer and talking about the viper on the floor and pricing for that than with either subaru dealer and actually being interested in buying one

Well, check out this guy and look at his car. It's right between school and home for you. Private seller so no pressure and it's newly listed. It'll at least give you an idea. Try searching with a larger radius in Autotrader. There's some stuff on there in your areas...
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

why dont you ask a friend or a member to let you check theirs out, since you have no intentions to buy from a dealer anyhow.

here in ct i see the LGT every so often at the dealers, one of the best places that i found was autotrader.com you type your zip code and how far your willing to travel and it does a search.

of course theres always ebay and here too....

the best thing to do to get attention at a dealershi is to walk in and shout, "I want to buy a car and i have money! Who wants to help me!?!" An then if the sales person trys to push a a car model on you you didnt want, just shout," This sales man wont sell me the car i want! is ther a salesman here who can show me the cars that i want?!? I have money now!!"

I didn't want to start looking hardcore for the car until the end of the semester, buy when I started talking with JimL about his car, it made me want to forget about the few weeks of school. i have browsed autotrader a bunch this semester, just haven't looked in a good week or so, that looks like a good deal though, i'll have to check it out, thanks LegGTLT

i would definitely love to check out another members car, if theres someone between binghamton and watertown ny that would be great, i've seen a couple rochester or buffalo people, buffalo is a bit far, but rochester could happen

whitetiger...good tactic :D

Glad we could help! :D Keep plugging away, it'll happen soon. Better to wait to get EXACTLY what you want then settle. I can't stress that enough. To make you feel a bit better here's my story :lol: :

I only wanted GRP/Taupe. Had it in my '02 GT LT(Regatta Red/Taupe) and I just really liked it. :D So, I couldn't find one in WA state and ended up doing negotiations over the phone with a dealer in Bend, OR which was 6 hours from my house. Took a train down, drove my baby home, and I couldn't be happier till this day!!! :) Every time I look at it, I think DAMN, I did the right thing and waited to get what I wanted...

couldn't agree more, I've been waiting patiently, I haven't been in a big hurry, but if something comes my way which is exactly what I'm looking for, I may not be able to pass up the opportunity. the durango should be up for sale around thanksgiving, its getting professionally detailed then, so we'll see how that works out.

OBP, sedan, 5sp, mileage not an issue, non smoker, no accident history, location not too much of an issue, i fly for free :D i'm sure i'm forgetting some things, but this is the base to start from

ltd, non ltd, haven't really made that call yet, still researching some things. am i correct that the OBP only comes w/ the black interior be it cloth for non ltd or leather for the ltd?

thanks again :-) all in due time i'll have one! i don't want to turn into iwannasportssedan...not saying thats a bad thing, just don't want to be a perpetual shopper either :hide:

that does sound like a horrible combo-

thoughts on ltd vs. non ltd, i haven't heard much on this front.

Limited (base model+leather+power seats+moonroof+dual zone climate+upgraded stero)

i'm not sure i'm going to like the no ipod in the lgt that i've been used to in the durango, so i've been researching this pretty extensively in the other forums...so therefore i'm not sure the climate control and stereo are really worth it. leather would be nice however, and i had a moonroof in my car before the durango, but i could live without. should there be a big price difference between the two? i wouldnt think so in a used car-

that does sound like a horrible combo-

thoughts on ltd vs. non ltd, i haven't heard much on this front.

"moonroof, leather, and power seats on limited" is complete list of differences

Unlimited FTW IMHO

Very good quality cloth vs. poor quality leather. You pick.

Oh, come on!!! :lol: The leather is not great like BMW or Audi but it's so far from poor it's not even funny. :) I make sure to clean mine every few months with Wolfgang and it's great. Soft, supple, and no stains. I'm very happy with the limited but whatever choice you make it'll be the best because it's what YOU want. :D If you like the extra creature comforts like a moonroof (I love the thing in summer!!!) then go for it. If you want to save some cleaning hassle and some money, go for the unlimited.

is the cloth in the lgt similar/same as the cloth in an 02wrx, anybody know? my buddy has the wrx and I like the seats he has, they aren't bad material wise-

I believe it's better, but I wasn't paying much attention to it in WRX I sat it.

I had the same problem. I'm 23 and I brought my 13 year old nephew with me. I went in asked about the legacy and the guy instantly starts saying "well thats a beast of a car you can get into a lot of trouble." I'm instantly thinking "WTF".

Finally we walk over to a auto lgt and he instantly points to the price saying is this something you were aware of. Seriously is it so hard to believe that I've graduated from college and am capable of buying a new car. I asked for a test drive gave me some bs about how I'd have to setup an appointment because he'd have to move some cars around to get it out blah blah blah. Asked if we could test drive a manual version said we'd have to discuss financing first. Goodbye.

Next dealer same crap, tried to sway me into a mazda3 instead.

Archived