LegacyGT.com

Loss off power to radio and climate control.

resipsa99

+1

10000 miles and it happened first time today. Blank radio and ACC, but the the ACC was still working the way it always does, fan blowing etc.

Sure glad to see this post here to reassure myself.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something interesting to note, when I was doing my modulator install, I turned the car on without putting the headunit/ACC back in.. The ACC still came on and did it's ramping up of the fan since it was cold out. Makes you wonder where the real brains for the ACC are, maybe not in the headunit..

• 2 months later...
Happened to me once and once only as well. Seemed to come back after pushing the eject button. Only reason I found that out was because I figured I'd try to get the CD's out before taking the car in.

• 2 weeks later...
so has anyone found a cure? Mine is dead completly and the fuse is fine.

- Luminati

Mine just died today. Turned if off and on and it worked for a while, but now, the Radio is on, and the ACC display and buttons are dead, though the temperature seems to blow nice, cold air as normal.

Anyone have an update on this?

Rob Catron

I was coming home they other night and I went to change the FM Station on my radio and all of a sudden my light on my radio went dim and now I can only read a few of the lcd displays. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm bringing it to the dealer on Thursday. I've only had the car for three weeks and this is my first time owning a Subaru. I'm not too happy as you can imagine.:mad:

My stereo died completely after 1 week. It was during an aftermarket amp install... but we had barely connected the wires, and there was only sound for a second then nothing. The wires weren't crossed and nothing blew up or anything like that. We disconnected the amp entirely and the radio came on for a few seconds and then the display died, and the clock/compass above it, never to come on again. This all just happened today.... It might have been something to do with the amp, not sure, I do have "Error 55" below my speedometer, so something got screwed up.

• 7 months later...

Has anyone found the root cause to this? Mine just died yesterday and it's dead till now. I have a two month old baby and this happened while we took her out in a freezing cold day.

Makes me wonder if the turbo AWD is worth holding on to this thing. My 1992 Accord wagon with 320000 kms on the clock is carting my infant around while the NEW car is sitting pretty as a garage queen.

Great work Subaru!!!!!!!!!

Ditto here. The ACC (if you can call it that, shame on you SOA) and radio blacked out. Restart brought systems back to life. This has happen twice in the past 5 months.

The vehicle has been in service for about 14 months with a build date of 11/2004.

Cheers,

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Hey everyone! Neal Demazure here, I'm one of the service writers here at Subaru of Milford. One of my customers has been having this very problem with his spec-B and we believe we have found the problem (and hopefully the solution).

Basically it goes like this:

Subaru (for whatever reason) decided to route at least part of the HVAC wire harness thru the radio in the LGTs. This is why this problem happens to both the HVAC and the radio simultaniously. After going over TSB# 10-75-04 15-112-04 and consulting some of the local technicians we are more sure than not that replaceing the radio unit will solve the problem.

We will be doing this work on my customers car on monday (assuming we can get the nessicary parts in time) at which time I'll report back and let you all know the result!

In any case, I thought it might be nice to let you (the community) know what the heck is going on with this lettle electrical demon. :icon_twis

Hey everyone! Neal Demazure here, I'm one of the service writers here at Subaru of Milford. One of my customers has been having this very problem with his spec-B and we believe we have found the problem (and hopefully the solution).

Subaru (for whatever reason) decided to route at least part of the HVAC wire harness thru the radio in the LGTs. This is why this problem happens to both the HVAC and the radio simultaniously. After going over TSB# 10-75-04 15-112-04 and consulting some of the local technicians we are more sure than not that replaceing the radio unit will solve the problem.

We will be doing this work on my customers car on monday (assuming we can get the nessicary parts in time) at which time I'll report back and let you all know the result!

In any case, I thought it might be nice to let you (the community) know what the heck is going on with this lettle electrical demon. :icon_twis

I wasn't suprised that they both went at once, since it is all one unit. Also, my experience has been that it hasn't reoccured since my unit was replaced, so this may be the right option.

Just make sure you order him the one with the MP3 player! ;) (Lucky SpecB SOBs...)

Thanks for the feedback!

Is there a case number we can refer to so we can have this issue fixed?

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Have you noticed this happening on 06 models as well?

• 2 weeks later...

any updates?

This Space For Rent

any updates?

Well, we switched out his radio on monday, and to my knowledge.... the problem has not happened again. My customer is going to be testing out this new radio for a little while (to be sure this problem isn't coming back), then he'll be bringing the car in to have us install the Jazzy Engineering AUX in adapter. So basically, we're playing the waiting game at this point.

So this just happened to me last night. I was driving home from a friend's place when the HVAC and radio display started fading in and out. Then the displays went blank completely. I checked today and the HVAC display is back, but the radio display isn't visible. I've tried starting it a couple of times and it doesn't work.

Now, my question is when I take it to the dealership, do I mention that I just installed the OEM under-seat sub about a 1 week ago. I didn't have any problems with the install and I hadn't had any problems at all until last night. The sub and radio still work fine despite the fact that the display isn't visible. I don't think the problem's a result of the install, but I know that some service departments will put any and all fault on the owner. What do you guys think? Should I mention the install?:confused:

Good advice Luminati. Besides, I took it in today, explained the problem, and the service advisor didn't even ask any questions. He looked at the radio and said "yup, it's blank alright". Then he told me they'd order a new radio and let me know when it arrived. Sounds pretty simple.

Count me in for having experienced this phenomenon. Only wished I had read this thread before studying the fuse diagram, pulling the box, and noticing the fuses looked fine. But at least I have peace of mind now.

Thanks,