LegacyGT.com

If you had $4K to trick out a '93 wagon....

Had my "L" 4AET since '99, & I am waiting for something to go out on it (182K) on the clock now). I figure at that point, my wife gets my Accord EX, I drive the Ram & put this thing in the OR for major heart surgury. Then it becomes MY car!

This is the most basic of "L"s out there, but I have become spoiled with leather & all sorts of flagship packages, so what could I do to this thing for about $4 grand? I was thinking a N/A modern 174 hp 2.5 & 5sp. Turbo would be cool, but I want better gearing so that when I road trip, I won't be cruising @ 35oo rpm at 85 mph. Most V6 cars cruise around 2500 prm, because of better torque curves. Maybe a turbo w/an H6 tranny? After all, any torque increase over the stock 140 is going to move this 2900 lb lightweight. Oh, also need AWD drivetrain. Not having it makes me feel like less of a man... :redface:

What about an interior? I imagine I will be searching high & low for used pieces & that's OK, I plan on having the car apart for a few months anyway.

Any suggestions from all the mod xprts out there?

Thanks in advance

OK here's the method to the madness:

#1 84K trouble-free miles out of 183K overall - you have to admit that I would have a near impossible time finding another used car so reliable w/o doing a background check on the previous owner's lifestyle. Its hard to know if the guy/girl who bought it new REALLY was super-easy on the gas for the 1st 1000 miles, checked the fluids monthly, avoided large road obstacles/didn't drive drunk

#2 weight. At 2900 lbs, even w/the soft stock suspension, this car is as fun to drive as a sports car. It seems that every gen. gained 1" wheelbase, 1" width & 200 lbs. I like the roomier interior, but 600 lbs is alot for only 3", so I will sacrifice for fun's sake. I like the wagon format, and if I replaced the superlight Legacy, only the Forester would be as light and chuckable while still having a usable back end. But then, reason #1 comes into effect.

#3 I like the shape. Being Sube's 1st attempt at going mainstream, the car has bland lines - the kind that aren't so edgy they look dated after a decade. I really like Gen2 & Gen4, but would look to them to replace the Honda, not this Legacy. So with Forester alloys, the stock silver paint, dark tint & fog lights, and a blackout grille (just the grey, not the chrome), the car would have a muscular look that is different from the newer gens. I mean, really, the square flairs over the wheel wells are very Audi Quattro-like. No later gen captures this.

#4 Simpler times, baby! Older = less crap to go wrong. And what does go wrong more likely can be done @ home. It may not have 40 airbags and ESC, but then I really don't want a gyroscope taking away all my fun, anyway.

So what I am thinking is maybe a 2.5 N/A 5MT from a wrecked 00-06 anything, 90-94 LGT rear drivetrain & brakes, and leather if available, along with wheels.

Or I could look into a turbo intake for the existing 2.2, and a 5MT separately.

Opinions, besides dump & start over?

• 2 years later...

Archived