LegacyGT.com

Spec B Production Count

Disclaimer**** these are all the USDM spec b counts, no JDM models have been accounted for.*****

Ever since I started researching to purchase my spec B I had wondered what the production numbers were for the 2008 and 2009 Spec B. I've read that we just dont know. I've even heard of people emailing Subaru for the numbers and they wouldn't release them. So I decided to take matters into my own hands, I knew i could figure it out and this is the result of that. As most of us know, the last 6 digits of our VIN number is the production number. I based half of these numbers on that, and the other half based on the occurrence of each year that were posted for sale (divided by the number of years the car has existed).

The total production numbers for the Spec B are as follows.

2006 - 500

2007 - 432

2008 - 767

2009 - 167

Total - 1866

If anyone owning a Spec B wants to PM me their VIN number, I can add it to the list and get even more accurate data. However, based on the amount of data that I've already gotten, I think this is a pretty accurate estimation on the production numbers for 08 and 09. Kind of upsetting to, since I seemed to have bought the most common Spec B, the 08.

Attached are the formulas for how I found these numbers. (Alternate download link - https://www.dropbox.com/s/8a2v4jxdi9uhypq/Spec%20B%20Production%20Counts.xlsx?dl=1)

Below are links to all of the threads I've found talking about the Spec B production numbers..

http://www.legacygt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1194

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/production-numbers-2007-spec-b-62830.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/many-spec-bs-therei-159766.html?t=159766

Spec B Production Counts.csv

Thanks for working on this. I still don't get why Subaru just doesn't provide these, so you don't have to play Sherlock Holmes. I can't seem to open your CSV to see your calculations, but the I'd say the volume of '08 spec.Bs on the market these days (and over the past few years) points to your numbers being realistic estimates, if not factual.

Only thing I'd add is that it would be surprising if '07s was less than '06s. I've seen quite a few of them on the market as well... '09s are definitely rare, but I've always wondered if that was just a product of it being the least "old".

Only thing I'd add is that it would be surprising if '07s was less than '06s.

From what I've heard/read it wasn't intentional, caused by some part shortage or some such.

Local guy is looking for an 07-09 but all he seems to find are 06s. But he wants the 6 speed.

From what I've heard/read it wasn't intentional, caused by some part shortage or some such.

Local guy is looking for an 07-09 but all he seems to find are 06s. But he wants the 6 speed.

I read that the 07 was a non-limited production, but they only made as many as were ordered. Unfortunately for Subaru they sold less in their made-to-order 2007 Spec B than the previous year's 500 limited run and numbered cars.

OP:

Thanks for making this list up, I had always been curious about 08/09 numbers.

I've got an 07 and will PM you the VIN.

Thanks for working on this. I still don't get why Subaru just doesn't provide these, so you don't have to play Sherlock Holmes. I can't seem to open your CSV to see your calculations, but the I'd say the volume of '08 spec.Bs on the market these days (and over the past few years) points to your numbers being realistic estimates, if not factual.

Only thing I'd add is that it would be surprising if '07s was less than '06s. I've seen quite a few of them on the market as well... '09s are definitely rare, but I've always wondered if that was just a product of it being the least "old".

Try this link to download the excel file. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8a2v4jxdi9uhypq/Spec%20B%20Production%20Counts.xlsx?dl=1

09's are definitely rare, and I've factored into this the amount of years that they've been around, still comes out to be a very rare car. the small amount of 09's sold is probably the reason they stopped making the spec B all together..

Electric blue Alcantara?

Unfortunately for Subaru they sold less in their made-to-order 2007 Spec B than the previous year's 500 limited run and numbered cars.

the small amount of 09's sold is probably the reason they stopped making the spec B all together..

I think 2 words can sum this up for the USDM: Great Recession.

Honestly, I don't care if they made 50K spec.Bs; I'd still have one. Where else can you get a reliable AWD 6MT 245HP sports sedan for under $20K these days? Bottomline: It's fun to drive and my kids can come along!

I think 2 words can sum this up for the USDM: Great Recession.

Honestly, I don't care if they made 50K spec.Bs; I'd still have one. Where else can you get a reliable AWD 6MT 245HP sports sedan for under $20K these days? Bottomline: It's fun to drive and my kids can come along!

STI is the same price range as the spec B. Original sales receipt in mine says it was sold for $36,645. I'd take the Spec B over the sti though, even if the Sti makes more power and is a little lighter. you can't beat the comfort of the spec B. the exclusivity of it is just the icing on the cake. As soon as i started looking for a new car i looked right past impreza's because there's just so many of them, and I don't typically like the personality of the people that drive them. Even though that's just stereotyping.. :lol:

I would also think the problem was the lack of marketing of the car. I could be wrong but I don't remember seeing Spec B's in ad's on TV.

I don't recall seeing ad's for Tribeca's either.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I would also think the problem was the lack of marketing of the car. I could be wrong but I don't remember seeing Spec B's in ad's on TV.

I don't recall seeing ad's for Tribeca's either.

I dont really think of it as a problem, i'm not sure they wanted to market them..

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I was talking to a guy who had a Spec B when I was getting gas a few weeks ago. He said it was an 09, and that it was one of three sold in Washington, Idaho, and Oregon.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

• 3 weeks later...

Archived