LegacyGT.com

Cloth Heated Seats not working

LGTFan 88

So I’ve had my non-limited/non-leather GT 5-sp wagon (generally love it) since June, but only started to use the heated seats in September, as the weather got cooler here in the NE.

The heated seats worked great for several weeks, but then suddenly the heater on the driver’s side seat (of course) stopped working. The light on the dial on the center console still comes on, but no heat. Ironically, this happened only days after I had the car at the dealer for an oil change.

So I called the dealer and left it with them on a Friday. I go to pick the car up on Saturday only to find out they couldn’t fix the seat because the part is not in the US – they say they need to go international to get it (whatever they means.) Because it’s a Saturday, the Parts dept can’t call and get an ETA. They tell me they will call me when they get more details. Ok.

Well, as of today, it’s been over 10 days and I’ve heard nothing from the dealership. So, this morning, I call them and speak with the Service Manager, who tells me he’ll need to call me back. Some Assistant calls me back and tells me that the part is on backorder in Japan and they have no idea when it will even ship, never mind when they will get the part. WTF??

So, now it’s over 2 weeks since I’ve reported the issue to the dealer, and I don’t even have an estimate as to when they will be able to fix it.

I can only come up with 2 explanations/scenarios. Either this problem is extremely rare (I searched here and found no similar reports) and they simply don’t stock the part in the US, or it’s happening very frequently (could it be happening on cloth Outback seats??) and they’ve run out of the part.

Either way, I’m beginning to feel like I’m getting d*cked around. I’m not happy.

Anyone else have a similar issue with their cloth heated seats??

I asked the same question about getting it from Indy. Nope - the dealer is saying the part(s) are "backordered from Japan".

I did not check the fuses before I took it in, although I certainly hope the dealer checked all that, and more, when they took a look at the problem.

• 5 weeks later...

Figured I'd post a quick update:

Still no word on when I can expect to get my seat heater fixed. I was at the dealer a week or so back (for an oil change), and they said they check every week on the status of the order, and they still don't have an ETA.

This is crazy. It's now roughly been 5+ weeks since I first brought the car in for a diagnosis. I just don't understand how it could take this long to get the part(s), even if they're supposedly on "backorder" in Japan.

It might finally be time to make some phone calls. I'm really not trying to blame the dealer or cause a ruckus - I just want my heated seat to work. I mean, how long is a reasonable amount of time to have to wait???

Does anyone have the phone number to call SOA to get my issue logged??

The number to Subaru is 1-800-SUBARU3

But I can tell you the reason this part (and quite a few others) are currently "backordered". First, it's not a commonly used part so a huge stock is not kept in the U.S. Second, it's the end of the year and Subaru will be taking inventory of all of there warehouses in the next two weeks so they don't want to order a bunch of stuff in that they'll just have to count. So instead they order the part direct from Japan...and they don't use overnight....

The number to Subaru is 1-800-SUBARU3

But I can tell you the reason this part (and quite a few others) are currently "backordered". First, it's not a commonly used part so a huge stock is not kept in the U.S. Second, it's the end of the year and Subaru will be taking inventory of all of there warehouses in the next two weeks so they don't want to order a bunch of stuff in that they'll just have to count. So instead they order the part direct from Japan...and they don't use overnight....

Bastages....... :icon_evil

• 1 month later...

Update: So my car was due for an oil change a week or so back. I called to schedule and reminded them that my heated seat still hadn't been fixed - for close to 3 months.

So, they tell me that they have the parts (all of a sudden the parts are available - of course, they didn't call me and tell me the parts were in - I discovered this only b/c I was bringing it in for an oil change anyway).

After waiting since November, the heated seat finally worked! That is, it worked for exactly 1 week. Yes, that's right, the driver's seat heater IS NOT WORKING AGAIN. It lasted exactly 8 days.

I'm sooooooooo disappointed. Back to square 1. Now, I know Subie's have solid repair histories, but this sucks. (Maybe coming from an Acura has spoiled me.)

That sucks man. I'm still waiting for a glove box lock they ordered for me. Its now week 7, it would pi$$ me off if it broke again after it finally arrives:icon_mad:

Well winter has almost ended, by the time they get you a new one you won't need it. I say go for it again anyway.

It took me a month to get my passenger seat heater to be fixed. It was broken when I bought the car! The dealer gave me the same spiel about it not being a "high priority" part. Is this Subaru's first attempt at heated seats? How could they be so unreliable? I can already feel my drivers side heater might not be getting as hot as it used to...

Interesting to hear it's not just happening to cloth heated seats - I thought that might have something to do with it. Not only that, but the problem obviously persists, if it happened to some 06's. I guess they haven't figured out the root cause.

The crazy thing is that they've been putting heated (leather) seats in the Outback for years. I wonder if it's not some electrical/wiring/fuse issue not directly related to the heater elements.

In any event, it sucks. I'm afraid for when my b-to-b warranty runs out.

I'll post another update when I bring it in for (another) fix.

• 1 month later...

Well, I was at the dealership for some other maintenance (oil change, dead headlight, etc..), and I spoke with the Service Manager. Looks like I'll be waiting another several weeks (maybe longer?) again. He indicated the heater element is (again? still?) on backorder.

I'm gonna end up going thru the whole winter w/out my driver side heated seat (except for 8 wonderful days when the first repair attempt actually worked).

A very frustrating and disappointing experience. I had such high hopes for Subaru reliability...

The only (slight) consolation was that the Service Manager did seem genuinely frustrated with the situation as well (he even dropped the F-bomb - cursing the part).

• 1 month later...

AHHHHHHHH! STILL broken, even after another fix attempt!

This past Saturday, I brought my car in for a regular oil change (and a few other minor issues), as well as for another attempt at fixing the heated seat. (When I called to book the appointment, they said the leg and back heater elements were in stock - not sure if they ordered them when I brought the car in for the previous oil change, or if they now just keep them in stock.)

Anyway, I pick the car up at 6:30pm from the dealer (last car of the day to be serviced), and the seat still doesn't heat! Either it broke on my first try (leaving the dealership parking lot, or they never even tested it to see if it was working again. I cannot believe this!

I originally reported this issue in October! Within that timeframe, they've looked at it at least 4 times and have replaced parts at least 2 times, and it's still not fixed.

I think I've finally lost my patience. This is making me question my whole service relationship with the dealer. They are very nice, but my confidence in their ability to effectively service my car is totally shot.

The craziest part is that the cashier chick at the service counter fell all over me when I picked up the car (before I knew it was still broken) and she requested that I fill out and return the customer service survey!

Time to call the Service Manager, again.... He's gonna get an earful.

Anyone else have a repeated heated seat problem (ie. apparently unfixable)???

• 7 years later...
so my passinger side works fine... Drivers side nothing works. Checked the fuse and it was good... Controls light up fine for both sides... IS there two fuses or just one. And what part is on order?

Good questions...and isn't there a relay as well as fuse(s)? If it's a heater element that's broken, that's crazy. It's about as high tech as a $10 toaster.

Archived