LegacyGT.com

New guy here

Hey guys, just thought I would drop a line and say that this website is a wealth of information and is actually helping me make a few decisions on how to modify my 2009 Legacy.

Bit of background on me, traded my E36 BMW last week. She had been my pride and joy for three years. However, being built in 9/94, she was beginning to have old age problems -- even though she only had 63k on her. Examples are rubber parts just breaking down and cant replace them without spending a fortune (rubber fuel line necks is one).

In any case, my legacy is my new baby, and its time for me to weigh in what mods I can do to make things "better".

Here is my list:

Replace blown rear deck sub (quoted $109 installed by stereo shop - JL Audio)

Trying to decide between a set of HIR bulbs (if I can find H7) and HID - do tons of night driving.

iPod integration / Bluetooth

I have noticed there is a considerable amount of body roll if I take a curve too hard. Is there a way I can stiffen that aspect of the ride / is it worth it? Then again, I did give up my sports car for a family sedan, so probably not important... LOL!

Anyway guys, hope you are all well!

• I Donated
Welcome! Those beamers are fun, but the boost rush in these is addicting. If you're looking to solve the body roll problem, a set of these springs: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/gi-epic-springs-4th-gens-191275.html will help a bit. Those and koni yellows or some aftermarket strut will do wonders for body roll. Sway bars will help a lot as well.

I have noticed there is a considerable amount of body roll if I take a curve too hard. Is there a way I can stiffen that aspect of the ride / is it worth it?

It is easy to take care of that roll. Legacy rear sway bars are undersized from the factory. Replace the rear sway bar with a stiffer one. A 20-22mm solid rear sway bar is a reasonable size for a daily driver.

The Legacy suspension is pretty capable with decent shocks and sways. When you are ready to replace the shocks, Konis will give you a ride closer to what you're used to.

make sure you have the right tires on there too. The Bridgestone Potenzas stiffen the ride considerably compared to the Continental DWS. Cheapest suspension mod seems to be finding old Spec B setup. I have heard only good things about adding cusco sway bars.

Is your car a GT ?

The sub can be replaced, there are vendor links at the top of the forum.

Learn how to check the oil and keep it topped off, never let it run low on oil.

m sprank (west coast)has lots of good parts that you should look into, another good shop, (east coast) is AZPinstalls.com

These guy's help out on here for free, so buy from them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I got some HID bulbs from DDM Tuning.

They have the H7 bulb. Best part is its not expensive

Less than $75 for the kit.

I put them in my 06 Legacy. No issues and no problems

with oncoming traffic flashing me.

The improvement in lighting was dramatic. Get the 35w kit.

Its more than enough light.

Im familiar with DDM and have used their 35W kit. Was wondering if I could use the 55w kit in the stock projector. I know the cut off is not "pretty" but I need tons of light from where I live in WV.

Yes, plenty of people do that. You'll want the relay harness for the 55W kit. Search around for walkthroughs as to exactly how to do. Look up "squirrel finders".

No, its not a GT. Main difference is lacking a Turbo correct?

GT has a detuned version of the 2.5L STI motor, stiffer shocks, bigger brakes, faster ratio steering, rear limited-slip differential. GT also has aluminum hood and trunk lid (sedan) or rear gate (wagon).

2005 GT models has larger wheels and tires than the standard model.

You could also run the 35W bulbs, and also get a set for your High Beams. Someone on here did that too. BUT you have to be seriously quick turning them off when an oncoming car comes. SERIOUS BLINDNESS.

BUT for back in the woods, and dark roads you generally have plenty of notice for oncoming cars.

I put the 35W in my low beams only, and it is a DRAMATIC improvement. Definitely get the relay if you go 55W. You also will need to disable your daytime running lights, if you don't want to run your lights all the time. The DRL circuit does not put full power to the lights, and can cause the HID's to not come one. If you use a relay it probably wont matter. It Takes 2 min, just unplug the DRL plug under the dash. There are instructions here on the forum.

Also a suggestion... Get the 4500K. They are nice and white.. With a TOUCH of blue. They are NOT as blue as it appears in the photos below. If you can find 4300K that's even better, but DDM Tuning dis not have them when I ordered.

I also saw lots of references to the "squirrel Finders" But never got a clear understanding of exactly what they were or what I was supposed to do.

I just stuck the bulbs in.. I have had NO ISSUES at all With anyone flashing me.

So if you can't figure out what they mean.. just put the bulbs in. And hook up the electronics.

You will need to drill a hole in the dust covers on back of the headlights. I think it was 1 inch.. or 1.5 Just look at the rubber gromet that comes in the kit and make the hole the right size. It's really a pretty easy job. I did not use the harness with my 35W bulbs. Just quick and clean easy job.

Here are some before and after shots. They are not great but give you an idea.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/kens97sto171/Subaru%20Legacy%20Headlights/2012-04-01_00-08-45_156.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/kens97sto171/Subaru%20Legacy%20Headlights/2012-04-04_21-46-23_359.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/kens97sto171/Subaru%20Legacy%20Headlights/2012-04-01_00-10-01_409.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/kens97sto171/Subaru%20Legacy%20Headlights/2012-04-06_00-39-16_133.jpg

Archived