LegacyGT.com

Extended service contract on Turbos - Surcharge!!

Ok, who took, or is going to take, this coverage on their car? I have a price of $1,150 + 250 Turbo surcharge ($1,400 total) being offered for the 6yr/80,000 mile. Thoughts? Is the surcharge also on the Impreza Turbo too? Are there many takers out there on that one?

I agree with Deer Killer, they're money out the window for 99+% of Subaru owners. I very rarely hear of owners needing anything fixed post initial warranty period. Any quirks are easily worked out within that time period if there are any generally.

Guest *Jedimaster*
If the plan cost a grand and your turbo costs a grand, then you might as well have just paid for the turbo. I was offered this as well as the perimater alarm to be installed on delivery- for "only 383" as the guy told me- I declined as I've seen the thing on the net for 73 dollars and it can't be that hard to install.

Check with your insurance company before you buy [b]any[/b] extended warranty on a new car. I know that some offer up to 7 yr/100k coverage, beyond the basic warranty on the car. Cost is around $100/year, and you can cancel it at any time. Seems to be a much better option than financing an extended warranty. Example: [url]http://www.geico.com/auto/mbi.htm#exclusions[/url]

I was offered the 6-year, 80K "true bumper to bumper" warranty, with three years of free scheduled maintenance for $1K. This is a good deal for a car that needs it. But when you look at the service schedule for the car, all you really have to do is change the oil, and have things inspected. Warranties can cover the weird stuff, but my WRX (which had an extended warranty) was absolutely bulletproof. The only time I used it was to have the front door locks replaced, as both sides were frozen from disuse. Even though the price was tempting, I took a pass. Subarus just don't break. There is a 6/60 powertrain warranty, above and beyond the 3/36 car warranty. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']I was offered the 6-year, 80K "true bumper to bumper" warranty, with three years of free scheduled maintenance for $1K. This is a good deal for a car that needs it. But when you look at the service schedule for the car, all you really have to do is change the oil, and have things inspected. Warranties can cover the weird stuff, but my WRX (which had an extended warranty) was absolutely bulletproof. The only time I used it was to have the front door locks replaced, as both sides were frozen from disuse. Even though the price was tempting, I took a pass. Subarus just don't break. There is a 6/60 powertrain warranty, above and beyond the 3/36 car warranty. Kevin[/quote] Thanks for the feedback. In fact, that's probably WHY the factory offers that extended warranty in the first place... they are confident they won't have to pay out. And on the flip side, it's also probably why BMW does NOT offer a factory extended warranty on their new cars.

• 2 months later...
Reading my warranty booklet, I noticed that the turbo charger IS NOT listed under components covered by the powertrain warranty. Here in California, I'm fairly certain that the turbo would be covered under a state-mandated emmissions warranty. I find it interesting that every dealer I've spoken with flatly stated that the turbo is covered under the powertrain warranty while the warranty booklet supplied with the car makes no mention of it. I've spoken with a couple of people at SOA (not the 1-800- I-DONT-KNOW line) and have been promised a telephone call from some higher-up with a certain answer.

[quote name='STG']Reading my warranty booklet, I noticed that the turbo charger IS NOT listed under components covered by the powertrain warranty. Here in California, I'm fairly certain that the turbo would be covered under a state-mandated emmissions warranty. I find it interesting that every dealer I've spoken with flatly stated that the turbo is covered under the powertrain warranty while the warranty booklet supplied with the car makes no mention of it. I've spoken with a couple of people at SOA (not the 1-800- I-DONT-KNOW line) and have been promised a telephone call from some higher-up with a certain answer.[/quote] Please keep us updated about this phone call from a higher being :).
-ben

[quote name='jdkobe']From good ol subaru, not covering tires, breaks, shocks, hoses, belts, lines and light bulbs.[/quote] Good ol Subaru has several plans to choose from, and their Gold plan does indeed cover everything you just listed as well as just about everything else on the car.

Subaru extended warranties cover the turbo. The Subaru 3 year / 36 thousand mile bumper-to-bumper warranty covers the turbo. The question I have and am awaiting an answer for is: Does Subauru's standard driveline warranty, which is longer than the bumper-to-bumper warranty cover the turbo? Excitement (or nausea) builds as we wait for an official answer! :P

I purchased the extended warranty (gold) for my WRX. It has covered many broken bits - examples the $500 quote I had for the cold weather fuel leak TSB*, the rear view mirror, the tranny and some other bits. Soon I will see if it covers the non-functioning tape deck on my radio. If I buy a first model year Legacy (and I am seriously thinking about it) I will purchase the warranty. While I hope I never will need it, having the warranty has made dealing with "stupid stuff" terribly easy. *The car was over 66k when the cold weather fuel leak bit me - the dealership wanted to charge me until they realized there was the extended warranty.

[quote name='tbd']I purchased the extended warranty (gold) for my WRX. It has covered many broken bits - examples the $500 quote I had for the cold weather fuel leak TSB*, the rear view mirror, the tranny and some other bits. Soon I will see if it covers the non-functioning tape deck on my radio. If I buy a first model year Legacy (and I am seriously thinking about it) I will purchase the warranty. While I hope I never will need it, having the warranty has made dealing with "stupid stuff" terribly easy. *The car was over 66k when the cold weather fuel leak bit me - the dealership wanted to charge me until they realized there was the extended warranty.[/quote] How much did the Subaru Gold extended warranty cost?

I don't have my paperwork with me, but I believe that the Gold level warranty cost me $1300. Around $1100 for the warranty + the $200ish turbo coverage. Most of the time I stay away from extended warranties, but in this situation I thought it to be prudent. I am new to Subaru, new to turbos and with this being a 1st year car, I felt the extra money was worth the peace of mind. Honestly, I hope that the car is as well-built and rugged as people here say, but you just never know.

This was a few years back on a WRX. I recall the 5year/100k no-deductable being $~1100-1300. The potential downside is that issues will be serviced by your subaru dealership. I have found my local dealership to be great for replacing parts once they have seen/heard/been hit over the head with a problem. Sadly they can not always reproduce quirks. My transmisison work dragged on much longer then it would have if the car was not in warranty - the dealerships hands were tied on what work they could do when. An independent mechanic would not have had his hands tied but my pocketbook may have hurt more. The warranty can be thought of as insurance. It is in part a bet. Can Subaru sell the insurance for less then the cost of repairs? Since they set the rates and expect a certain return on their money they will stack the cards in their favor. Financially over a large number of cars the insurance is not a good bet.

[quote name='Deer Killer']FYI there are usually state laws that make the emmissions system warranty manditory for a long time, (7 years, 12 years)? Regardless, the turbo is part of the emissions system.. Anyone have more info?[/quote] No, not really. It's a Federal thing, but it's only for a mileage period. I just had the owners manual out tonight. Federal Emissions Control: 3 years/36K miles, and includes the turbo. CA Emissions: 3 years/50K miles, and includes the turbo. On the other topic, I highly doubt that the Powertrain warranty covers the turbo. The list of covered parts is in the book, and it's basically just the hard stuff in the long block, nothing that's bolted on to the engine. Yeah, I was a bit surprised to see the turbo surcharge on all extended warranty plans over 75K miles. Had it offered for $200, so I went with the 6/80 extended. Ron
Ron

Archived