LegacyGT.com

To buy, or not to buy - 2012 legacy GT

Spitepill

First post, sorry for the hard landing, but need some advice.

I've got a solid line on one of the few new legacy GT 6MT's floating around, but it comes with a price tag and a loooong road trip to the dealer.

In any case, I have wanted a manual legacy since 2k6 when I went with the Baja rather than the spec B, and while I love my Baja, and there's nothing at all wrong with it, I miss the manual trans and would like a little more zip.

So, with that in mind, is a 2012 legacy GT limited worth picking up, or should i hold out and hope that 2014 brings back the manual trans? is the star-wars blaster dash ok in 2013? is the eyesight "stuff" worth the loss of the Manual Trans? or should I just say "F all that junk, it's not an STI Legacy" and just go with a WRX or STI, lose the wing, and put a really REALLY quiet muffler on it, since i'm not a 18 year old faux street drifter...

Only other option is to go Audi, which seems kind of a shame since I just finished switching all 3 of our cars out for Subies :p

All opinions welcome, and thanks for the advice!

I thought I wanted a '10-'12 LGT for the longest time. I test drove a '09 and thought it was great, add that sensation to the newer model and it would be perfect. Well I finally drove a new one and it just didn't "do it" for me. The car felt huge, not fun, and when I got on it it felt like I was just flooring some big 'ol family sedan and probably looked pretty dumb to those around me....just not much sporty feel to it. I still like the LGT's, but I think I am now set on just getting a new WRX hatch....when ever I can finally order one. Oh, I am not a 18 year old faux street driver, but instead 31yr old with 3 kids. The "30+yr olds who own a WRX/STI" thread at nasioc made me feel a lot better in my desire to get a WRX.

I'm in the same boat as you, Carpe_Diem... 31 with a little one in the cooker, and I just don't feel up to driving around in an "STI Kid's car" with a noisy potato cannon muffler, but I do like the way they drive. If they can be hushed up a bit I'd be all for going that route, but I would always be afraid that the profile of an impreza will be a more likely target than a legacy.

Still kinda torn on what to do... I love the wife's '11 outback, and the interior is the same in the '12 LGT, but if it takes another 5k+ to make it feel more sporty, I'm not sure it's the right thing to throw a fist full of dollars at. :(

I posted an almost identical thread a while ago on here too. I used to own a 2005 LGT Wagon 5sp and loved it for 4 years. Modified it to oblivion. Sold it and moved on to other things... but ended up coming back to a Subaru.

To be completely satisfied with my '11 LGT, I have added power (DP, CBE, AP), will add coilovers, as the stock suspension is too lazy, already have a swaybar and short shifter. Had padding added to driver seat bolsters for more support; it felt like sitting on a couch before. After those fixes are in place, I will be able to live with the car long term. It just big enough, while still being relatively light. AWD is great for spirited driving and it is quiet, does not look too much different than a Camry and is cheap to own/insure. My line of work requires a newer car, but nothing flashy. I could not find anything else with the level of performance and sophistication without a prestige badge on it.

Make sure you drive one for a longer drive. Realize what you don't like and see if you can change it. If things you can't change bother you too much, don't buy it. Get something else. Good luck!

PS. I am married and in my 30's with a 2yr old and soon to be a newborn...

My wife, having been in STI's before, sat in a 2012 STI at the Subaru dealership and immediately vetoed at is being too uncomfortable. Granted, she was 6 months pregnant at the time, but comfort had been a big issue for a while with my 2006 Lancer Ralliart so I had to respect it. So, my dream of a STI was squashed before I could even inquire about it to the sales rep. We test drove a 2.5 Legacy after that, which had everything we were looking for except power/fun factor so we passed on it. On the way home, she saw the GT in the literature. After test driving a 3.6 Outback the next day to get a feel for the difference in engines, we placed the order.

That was five months ago. Now, we have a quick, comfortable car with plenty of room for adults and rear-facing car seats, and a huge trunk. With the Nav and the accessories I wanted, I paid a little over 34k. I'd buy this car again in an instant. The only thing I'd do differently is made sure I used this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/buy-new-subaru-2-below-dealer-invoice-without-haggling-58200.html

i have a 2012 Legacy 2.5i premium with the 6 speed. i love it. i was specifically looking for a manual tranny over the CVT or the auto.

my previous car was a Magnum R/T. the subbie gets great gas mileage and i no-longer have to put premium gas in the car. LOL.

the turbo would have been nice, but i'm just keeping it simple / stupid for now. maybe a WRX down the line. LOL.

/\__/\

(='.'=) This is Cat. Copy and paste Cat

(")_(") to help him gain world domination.

To buy or not is totally up to you, we don't know. Do you want it? Can you afford it?

:lol:

The intent was to ask the owner / experts their opinion to help decide if I do indeed want it. Can I afford it? yes. Can I afford a 550i or S6? also yes, but that's not really the point, and I'm stingy. ;)

I've loved every subaru we've had since the ugly 80's banana yellow cyclops "GL" thing I grew up in, and I'd like to think you get an awful lot for your dollar with them.

Anyway, thanks for all the awesome feedback so far. It's a lot to think about, and I'm enjoying reading through the The "30+yr olds who own a WRX/STI" thread Carpe_Diem mentioned.

Tytek,

That was a very good thread, and in the end, pushed me over the "just buy it already" cliff. unfortunately, they already sold it. I waffled too long, and got kicked in the pants. Ah well.

thanks for all the awesome info. Maybe I'll forgo the manual and pick up a 3.6R, and look for an 06 or 07 STI on the cheap because I like the front end... or cave in and get my "Drive like a Prick" badge from BMW :p

Spitepill,

I should also mention while I have kids at ages 3, 1, and 1, the size of our second car isn't an issue because we have a minivan that we drive bascially anytime we have to take more than one kid somewhere. If you already have a smaller sedan, then I wouldn't really think about a WRX/STI. I've driven and really want a 335, as does the wife, but I guess I am too chicken to roll the dice with a used one.

Spitepill, ask your dealer to do a search for one. The LGT is a much more family friendly choice than the STI or WRX. And is much more of a sleeper.

Or you can look for a used one in great shape. They do pop up for sale occasionally.

Autotrader.com lists 7 turbo 2012 Legacies (used turbo as a keyword because GT returned 0 results) at any distance from my zip code (in Massachusetts).

2 of them are within 35 miles of me.

Fellow masshole here, we have a lot of subaru dealers close bye inside of 95/128. :lol: I got mine in Belmont, close to work, but N. Reading, Wakefield are closer to where i live... Thats just Subaru dealers... If i do a search on cars.com, i got more hits from other dealers as well.

/\__/\

(='.'=) This is Cat. Copy and paste Cat

(")_(") to help him gain world domination.

I sure like my 2010. I looked for 6 months, decided I couldn't afford a brand new 2012, decided to get the 2.5i, and a low milage 2010 LGT showed up on craigslist. I love it so far, it gets almost as good gas milage as the 2.5i, and I can't wait to get the AP. I know the 4th genners love their cars and don't really like 5th gen much, at least from what I have read here, but I like the size, comfort and rareness of my 5th gen.

Archived