LegacyGT.com

Turbo Covered Under Powertrain Warranty or Not?

STG

After reading the warranty booklet supplied with my GT, I realized that the list of components covered under the 5 year 60K mile powertrain warranty DID NOT include the turbocharger or its related components. I recieved a call today from a SOA area rep who agreed that as presented in the booklet, the drivetrain warranty did not include the turbocharger. He went on to state that IT IS COVERED under the 5 year / 60K mile powertrain warranty and that he will suggest that new printings of the booklet spell things out more clearly. He further agreed to send me a letter from SOA which will state that the turbocharger is part the drivetrain for warranty purposes. We talked about the fact that the turbo may be covered under extended federal or state emissions warranties, but he agrred that the turbo is seperately warranted for 5/60. Note to those owners with California cars. The extended California emissions warranty is good only if the car is REGISTERED IN CALIFORNIA. If you take a California car to Nevada and register it there, don't expect the California emission warranty to be valid. I'm waiting for my letter! :D

Although there are four states that have adopted California's emissions standards, they may have different emission warranty regulations. I'm sure they are spelled out in the warranty booklet.

In my booklet it shows the turbo as part of the Powertrain 5 year/60,000 mile warranty. This was important to me as I don't need to be paying for costly turbo repairs if something ever happened.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

That's interesting as my booklet ANd the one the SOA rep was reading from didn't list the turbo as part of the drivetrain warranty. Could you scan that page of your booklet and post it?

That's 3 yrs / 36K. I'm waiting for my letter from SOA. Hey 05LegacyGT330Ci, How about that scan? I'm really interested to see your warranty booklet listing the turbo as part of the powertrain warranty. I'm sure your read it, since you don't need to be paying for costly turbo repairs if something happened.

• 2 weeks later...
I found this on the Subaru website under the warranty information area. [QUOTE] [b]Powertrain Limited Warranty[/b] Powertrain coverage for all models is five years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. It covers the major powertrain components listed below:* Engine block and all internal parts Cylinder heads and valve train Oil pump, oil pan Timing belts or gears and covers Water pump Flywheel Intake manifolds Oil seals and gaskets [color=red][b]Turbocharger Assembly [/b][/color]Transaxle case and internal parts Transaxle seals and gaskets Axle shafts and constant velocity joints (except boots)** Torque converter Electronic transmission control unit Propeller shaft Wheel bearings *See your Subaru Dealer for complete details. *Some restrictions apply. For complete 2005 Subaru Warranty information contact your local Subaru dealer. Locate your local dealer by going to the upper right corner of subaru.com and input your city, state or zip code. **Axle shaft and/or CVJ damage due to broken, torn, split or damaged boots, allowing the intrusion of road abrasive material, is not covered under warranty. [/QUOTE] HTH

[quote name='STG']That's 3 yrs / 36K. I'm waiting for my letter from SOA. Hey 05LegacyGT330Ci, How about that scan? I'm really interested to see your warranty booklet listing the turbo as part of the powertrain warranty. I'm sure your read it, since you don't need to be paying for costly turbo repairs if something happened.[/QUOTE] What was posted by endeavor is what my book says, I don't have a camera or scanner so I can't possibly get the page up. EDIT: I just went outside to get some stuff and brought my books in and I can't seem to find where it said 5/60,000 but I know I saw it maybe I was seeing thigns after an entire day sitting in my car for many hours reading all the books. If I was wrong I'm sorry it was just a mistake.

Here's what my Warranty Booklet says. I really want to see 05LegacyGT330Ci's Warranty Booklet. To paraphrase a line from The Treasure of the Sierra Mardre, "Turbo warranty, you don't don't got no stinkin' turbo warranty!"

At least not under the powertrain warranty!

POWERTRAIN-WARRANTY.jpg.ff504640674def5b4f38548dac61c6ce.jpg

Like I said I can't find it and I may have made a simple mistake. You can either except that or keep fighting an issue I acknowledged twice now I may have made a mistake. EDIT: It is still however on the webstie listed under 5/60 [url]http://www.subaru.com/owners/care/warranty/middle.jsp?pageID=2005[/url]

Then this is a serious oversight by subaru. I would imagine that the documentation that comes with the car (ie the booklet) would be the default position.. but stating somthing different in your online literature (the 1st thing people read when deciding) is a bad thing. I specifically got the extended warrenty to cover the turbo for the life of my payments.. its a wasted effort if its not needed. Then again... the pack of papers I got w/ my car included a bridgestone manual for the tires.. stating I should rotate front to back / left to right. The subaru manual itself states that you should ONLY rotate front to back.. and keep the tires on the same side.

This is the warraty for all 2005 Subaru's Below is a brief description of the Subaru Limited Warranty for 2005 model year Subaru vehicles that is provided to each buyer by Subaru at no additional charge. Your Subaru Dealer has complete details concerning the warranty and any exclusions and/or restrictions that may apply. Please visit your nearest Subaru Dealer for this further information. [url="javascript:win();"][u][color=#0000ff]Click here[/color][/u][/url] for optional extended protection beyond the warranty. [b]When These Warranties Apply[/b] These warranties are made by Subaru of America, Inc. (except in Hawaii) and apply only if the car was imported or distributed by Subaru of America, Inc. and sold to the first retail purchaser by an Authorized Subaru Dealer in the United States. Any and all repairs must be performed by an Authorized Subaru Dealer located in the United States. Every owner of the car during the warranty period shall be entitled to the benefits of these warranties. If the car is sold or otherwise transferred during the warranty period, it is recommended and requested that the new owner promptly send written notice of the transfer of ownership to: Subaru of America, Inc. Subaru Plaza P.O. Box 6000 Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000 [b]Warranty Periods[/b] Warranty coverage begins on the date the car is delivered to the first retail purchaser. If the car was used as a demonstrator or company vehicle before being sold at retail, warranty coverage begins on the date the car was first placed in such service. [b]What Is Covered[/b] These warranties cover any repairs needed to correct defects in material or workmanship reported during the applicable warranty period and which occur under normal use: [list] [*]in any part of the 2005 model year Subaru [*]in any Genuine Subaru Optional Accessories installed on the car prior to delivery [/list][b]Replacement Parts And Accessories Limited Warranty[/b] This warranty covers any repairs needed to correct defects in material or workmanship which occur under normal use in any Genuine Subaru Replacement Part or Accessory purchased after retail sale of the Subaru vehicle in which the part or accessory is installed. * See your Subaru Dealer for complete details. [b]Wear Item Limited Warranty[/b] Wear item coverage for all models except Right-Hand Drive Legacy is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered include brake pad/shoe linings, clutch disk linings, and wiper blades. * See your Subaru Dealer for complete details. [b]New Car Limited Warranty[/b] Basic coverage is three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. It covers the entire car. * See your Subaru Dealer for complete details. [b]Rust Perforation Limited Warranty[/b] Rust perforation coverage for all vehicles except Right-Hand Drive Legacy is five years regardless of mileage. Since all Subaru vehicles are built to resist corrosion, the use of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not necessary and is not a requirement for coverage under this warranty. * See your Subaru Dealer for complete details. [b]Powertrain Limited Warranty[/b] Powertrain coverage for all models is five years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. It covers the major powertrain components listed below:* Engine block and all internal parts Cylinder heads and valve train Oil pump, oil pan Timing belts or gears and covers Water pump Flywheel Intake manifolds Oil seals and gaskets Turbocharger Assembly Transaxle case and internal parts Transaxle seals and gaskets Axle shafts and constant velocity joints (except boots)** Torque converter Electronic transmission control unit Propeller shaft Wheel bearings *See your Subaru Dealer for complete details. *Some restrictions apply. For complete 2005 Subaru Warranty information contact your local Subaru dealer. Locate your local dealer by going to the upper right corner of subaru.com and input your city, state or zip code. **Axle shaft and/or CVJ damage due to broken, torn, split or damaged boots, allowing the intrusion of road abrasive material, is not covered under warranty. [url="http://www.subaru.com/shop/warranty/middle.jsp?MODELNAME=LEGACY&TRIMLEVEL=25_GT_SEDAN&YEAR=2005#top"][u][color=#0000ff]Back to top[/color][/u][/url] Mike [url="http://www.subaruxtras.com"]www.subaruxtras.com[/url] Belknap Subaru

Archived