LegacyGT.com

Winterizing the Legacy

Not sure if a thread like this has been started but was just interested:

What are you guys planning on doing to "winterize" your Legacies this year? Do you guys do anything special to prep for the winter?

Not much planned on my part (I'm in VA with very moderate winters). Probably all new brake pads (routine maintenance mostly, but I obviously want to do it now before the winter [and it gets too cold to work w/out a garage]), new wiper blades and winter formula wiper fluid, and a good wash and wax.

I was kind of thinking about wrapping or plastidipping the car as well.

I wanted to pick up a set of steelies and winter tires but I don't think I can justify it for the one or two days of snow I'll have to drive (and considering I just bought new DWS a month ago).

Any winterization plans? Anyone getting tracks?

With the new DWS's you'll be fine. My SPec B run's them year round.

I'm not big fan of plasticdipping. But it can't hurt.

Sounds like you have all the right thought's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I live in the Salt Belt, so I've been thinking about picking up a few cans of Fluid Film to spray down the underside of the car and the suspension components. Also, I gave it one last good detail (including polish, seal, and wax) to help protect the exterior. You already have good A/S tires, which should be plenty for VA.

WD40 into all door latches, hinges etc. is a good idea. Don't forget to spray the outside door latches. Lift the handle up and spray the "bearings" Saves a lot of grief and possibly prevents a broken latch if the latch freezes. A broken latch is big bucks and they are not robust.

Make sure battery terminals are clean and grease them.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

WD40 into all door latches, hinges etc. is a good idea. Don't forget to spray the outside door latches. Lift the handle up and spray the "bearings" Saves a lot of grief and possibly prevents a broken latch if the latch freezes. A broken latch is big bucks and they are not robust.

Make sure battery terminals are clean and grease them.

I actually broke my door handle last winter.

• I Donated Too
I'm not a huge fan of WD40 for any type of 'protection' - it can cure a squeeky door and can remove crayon from a wall but otherwise it tends to clean all grease and leave a silicone which vanishes quickly - leaving metal exposed. The other thing it tends to do is collect dust/crap/muck and then vanishes. Makes a neat flame though if you light it on fire while spraying. Stinks a bit mind you.

Fellow Virginian here - I'll switch the Pilot Super Sports off for the Pirelli Sottozero 3's (fantastic performance winter tire, BTW) probably in another month or so, and try to get a good wash and wax in before the end of the month. Otherwise, I'm good to go.

Also, somewhat on topic - climatological signs are pointing towards a below normal/cold (although not as consistently cold as last year's record setting levels), very snowy winter for the east coast. Frequent arctic cold snaps, and a significantly greater chance than normal for large snowfalls from the southern mid-Atlantic into the northeast. A close comparison year for current signals is the winter of 2009-2010, for reference. Being a Subie owner and snowboarder, I already can't wait to see what happens, as that season was phenomenal.

A good polish, seal, and wax will take care of the exterior. make sure your fluids are topped off and keep a quart or two in your trunk just in case. I also carry a blanket, work gloves, and small tool bag. Tire pressure is crucial come winter, underinflated will leave you feeling squirly and over inflated will leave you with no bite into inclement weather.

A good polish, seal, and wax will take care of the exterior. make sure your fluids are topped off and keep a quart or two in your trunk just in case. I also carry a blanket, work gloves, and small tool bag. Tire pressure is crucial come winter, underinflated will leave you feeling squirly and over inflated will leave you with no bite into inclement weather.

Ah, yes, I forgot I should create/carry a winter emergency kit.

I'm doing custom skid plates from road signs to keep the rust at bay, I live in CT and we got like 10-15 feet of snow last year ://

Wish I had that last year, about the 50th driveway plow across pile I drove through must have had big icechunk, shredded my undertray and cracked my radiator

Archived