LegacyGT.com

Private party purchase/2011 Legacy HELP!!!

Hey guys! New member here and need some opinions before throwing down a chunk of money on a new (to me) Legacy!

I am looking at a "private party sale" on a 2011 Legacy in my area . I need your opinion on what would be a fair price to pay/offer for it. Here is a cut and past of the ad:

FOR SALE- PRIVATE PARTY

2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

Only 6,500 Miles

Great Mileage on average I get 28 City and 48 All Hwy

MSRP is $25,384

Dealer invoice brand new is $23,608

Private Party Sales Do Not Pay Sales Tax!! That's a savings of over $1800!

Asking $23,500

SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY.

Graphite Exterior/Interior with Titanium Trim

Perfect Condition, Always Garaged, No Exterior/Interior Flaws, Non Smoking, No Pets Inside

ALL WEATHER PACKAGE

Front Wiper De-Icer

Heated Exterior Side Mirrors

Heated Front Seats

ENTERTAINMENT FEATURES

Steering wheel mounted audio controls

CD player

Radio data system

MP3 decoder

AM/FM radio

XM Satellite Radio Equipped

SEATS AND TRIM

Rear seat center armrest

Power driver seat

Front seats: bucket Cloth

Front center armrest: w/storage

Split folding rear seat

Heated front seats

Rear seats: bench

Max seating capacity: 5

WARRANTY

Still Under Factory warranty: 36 months/36,000miles

CONVENIENCE FEATURES

Power windows

Remote keyless entry

Passenger door bin

Rear beverage holders

Passenger vanity mirror

Driver vanity mirror

Overhead console

1-touch down

Front beverage holders

Telescoping steering wheel

Illuminated entry

Speed control

1-touch up

Driver door bin

Air conditioning

Tilt steering wheel

Rear door bins

BODY EXTERIOR

Power Moonroof

Power door mirrors

Bumpers: body-color

Heated door mirrors

Door mirrors: body-color

Trunk Lid Spoiler

LIGHTING, VISIBILITY AND INSTRUMENTATION

Front reading lights

Low tire pressure warning

Trip computer

Variably intermittent wipers

Outside temperature display

Fully automatic headlights

Tachometer

Rear window defroster

SAFETY AND SECURITY

Brake assist

Overhead airbag

Electronic stability

Dual front impact airbags

Occupant sensing airbag

Panic alarm

Dual front side impact airbags

Traction control

Ignition disable

ABS brakes

4 wheel disc brakes

Security system

Anti-whiplash front head restraints

POWERTRAIN

Engine liters: 2.5

Torque: 170 lb.-ft. @ 4,000RPM

Cylinder configuration: H-4

Variable valve control

Fuel economy highway: 31mpg

Manual-shift auto

Sequential multi-point fuel injection

Number of valves: 16

Recommended fuel: regular unleaded

Transmission: continuously variable automatic

Horsepower: 170hp @ 5,600RPM

Fuel economy city: 23mpg

Fuel tank capacity: 18.5gal.

Drive type: all-wheel drive

Not sure about your area, but in CA, for a private party sale you pay a "use tax" when you register the car. Also, it seems like a fair number of people are paying close to invoice on a new car.

Subaru VIP pricing is invoice minus 2% so you could buy a new model for less than he wants for his used. The Edmunds true market value on a NEW 2011 2.5i Premium is 21.5k. I wouldn't go above $20k, but I'm not sure they'll sell it for that.

Rip off. It's a used car. Compare it to used car prices, not new/MSRP. And yes, you do pay tax in most states. This whole thing is screaming rape. I wouldn't buy anything from this guy at any price...

If you were willing to pay some shady private sale guy $2,3 for it, go haggle a new one from the dealer. It's not going to be much more.

We paid 21,647 for a new 2.5I Premium with AWP, moonroof, fogs, but it was a 6 sp.

So I'd say this guys price is way high. Also, not sure about the Highway MPG yet as we haven't done an all highway trip, but he sounds like a liar from the start.

48 MPG is what our Jetta TDI got, find it hard to believe a Legacy gets that.

Well what do you honestly think? People have told you you can get it new for 2% under invoice.

Unless he left off a bunch options, according to Edmonds the invoice is 21,936, so you could get it for $21,497 new.

Well what do you honestly think? People have told you you can get it new for 2% under invoice.

Unless he left off a bunch options, according to Edmonds the invoice is 21,936, so you could get it for $21,497 new.

Plus about 2,000 in taxes though right?

This guy seems fishy. Tell him that you want to pay it for $19,000 and you want to see the carfax of the car. In addition, ask him the reason why he wants to sell the car.

This guy seems fishy. Tell him that you want to pay it for $19,000 and you want to see the carfax of the car. In addition, ask him the reason why he wants to sell the car.

Isn't that kind of a low ball offer?

If you already made your decision then buy it. Not a single person here has said it's a good idea but you seem to have made up your mind.

If $1500 is worth a shady transaction to you, I would say you probably shouldn't be looking at $23k cars...

If you already made your decision then buy it. Not a single person here has said it's a good idea but you seem to have made up your mind.

If $1500 is worth a shady transaction to you, I would say you probably shouldn't be looking at $23k cars...

What are you talking about, isnt this what this section of the forum is for? You have been a short and grumpy on every post you've made here. If you don't like my thread or questions, go away.

ok. If you don't know what I'm talking about when I say someone willing to potentially lose their ass to a shady seller for $1500 in savings probably shouldn't buy a $20k+ car in the first place, I don't have anything else to contribute.

Good luck man, seriously.

And where are you getting that this is a shady transaction? Who cares if they said they get a higher MPG then you, doesn't mean it isn't true, maybe they drive 40mph everywhere they go. I actually met the seller today, its a woman with a husband that is a local LEO. So your "intuition" is a bit off in my opinion

You do have something confused, no way a premuim with just an AWP has an invoice of 23,489.

And Surly has a point, you been told by more than one person 1. it's not a good deal 2. the guy seems shady just by the fact he's lying his ass off about mileage.

You keep coming back as though you want someone to say it's a great deal go for it.

Again incase you missed it, I bought a 2.5I premuim 6sp with AWP, Moonroof and popular equipment group 2c and auto dimming mirror with compass. I paid $21,647

The CVT would add $918 at invoice. So do the numbers it simple math you can get a better equipped new car for a little more.

Just like Surly, I have to bow out of this, you seem set on buying this car. Good Luck

Isn't that kind of a low ball offer?

Hell no. A car depreciates a couple grand when it is driven off the lot.

Edit: there are much better used legacys out there for considerably less. Check the classifieds here.

ETA: no USDM legacy gets 48 MPG. The owner is lying.

Buy it. Nobody cares.

Archived