LegacyGT.com

Knocking/Stutter when steering at very slow speeds

Legacy05GT

I get a stuttering and a knocking sound when i turn the steering wheel at slow speeds. I have checked lug nuts, and they are plenty tight, so its not the wheels shimmying(happened to me on a previous car). I am past warrenty so don't want to go to dealership and get ass-raped.

What can it be? What should i check?

Do you feel it in the steering when you make a turn into a parking space?

I have the same thing. I also hear a clunking in the steering when going slowly on a tight turn and hitting a bump.

Both have been there since day 1, so I didn't bother.

I get a stuttering and a knocking sound when i turn the steering wheel at slow speeds. I have checked lug nuts, and they are plenty tight, so its not the wheels shimmying(happened to me on a previous car). I am past warrenty so don't want to go to dealership and get ass-raped.

What can it be? What should i check?

How close is the steering wheel to lock?

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Do you feel it in the steering when you make a turn into a parking space?

I have the same thing. I also hear a clunking in the steering when going slowly on a tight turn and hitting a bump.

Both have been there since day 1, so I didn't bother.

Yes i feel it in the stering wheel. Just started. Perhaps could be that the tires are sticking more now that the weather is colder. Gotta check PSI when i get home.

What Mods you got?

Nothing under the hood. No suspension mods.

How close is the steering wheel to lock?

Not close at all, i feel it almost immeditley when i start turning.

I had a similar symptom that I finally traced to the front suspension lower cross member.

However, when driving with the tech he explained that it was widely known that a knock in the steering linkage a was well-known problem with the Legacy since the mid 90's. This is apparently noticed most at low speeds over washboard when the wheel is far off-center. If this is indeed the problem then supposedly there is no fix.

That there may be no fix puzzled me as well. The tech I spoke with said that Subaru made some attempt at correcting the problem by putting some sort of rubber damper in the steering linkage which made the problem better but did not eliminate it completely. Not sure I buy it.

I had to have my center diff replaced under warranty for a 'grinding' problem when steering at low speeds. Only happened when the vehicle was warmed up. Details in the thread below - hope you're not experiencing the same thing!!

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10363

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

OK, I popped open my hood to find my Steering Fluid Reservoir was extremely low. The manual said that we should be using Dexron III type automatic transmission fluid for it.

After filling it to the max-cold line, it appears to have alleviated the problem somewhat.

24 hours later, i am still getting a slight gitter when turning, i'm guessing it may need to work its way in.... (wishfull thinking)....

the bigger question.... WHY WAS IT SO LOW IN THE FIRST PLACE.... LEAK!!???!!! It didn't appear to be leaking, i followed the hose, and notice no signs of leakage....

Ok, still is stuttering. I have setup an appointment with Subaru of Gwinnett in Georgia for tomorrow.

I usually avoid dealerships but i've heard good things about these guys and they have their own performance shop, so they should be pretty knowledgeable.

I have noticed that when I raise the tire pressure to 40 PSI, an insane attempt to get better fuel eco, the problem went away when pressure drops back to around 35, the problem comes back, it also got much worse when I switched to new tires. I think it has something to do with the level of tire stick to the road, my 1996 had no such problems. It only noticeable when turning into a parking space or parallel parking

• 2 weeks later...
Well, what happened at your service appointment????:confused:

Sorry for the non-response. Aparently it was caused by low-tire pressure (my own fault/cold weather), alignment was off, and tire tred on edges are shot (Falken 451's 11months old).

I also had them do the 45k mile check and they found that the brakes were shot... sooooooo.....

$675 later i had new brake pads put all around and all 4 rotors machined (broke down to $266 per axle+labor ). Also a mobile 1 oil change.

No, i am not happy about putting that money into a dealership, but i consider it punishment to myself for not caring for my leggy the way it should be.

I no longer have the studdering. I am glad it was not a mechanical steering or front diff problem or anything like that. I'm pretty pissed with the way my falkens lasted, i guess i "corner hard" and thats why the tread on the edges is shot...but i'll save that for another thread

Thanks for the follow-up.

And, as further encouragement to maintain proper tire pressures, the various differentials aren't too happy with a constant difference in tire circumference. So pay attention to those pressures. Every change in temp of 10F will affect your tire pressure by approx 1 psi.

• 2 years later...
I had a similar symptom that I finally traced to the front suspension lower cross member.

However, when driving with the tech he explained that it was widely known that a knock in the steering linkage a was well-known problem with the Legacy since the mid 90's. This is apparently noticed most at low speeds over washboard when the wheel is far off-center. If this is indeed the problem then supposedly there is no fix.

Hey there Pflo, I have a 1996 Legacy GT sedan I got a couple of months ago for $2300 in very good condition but didn't go over bumps during the test drive. Later I found out I got a clunking sound when I go over small potholes and especially over railroad tracks. It sounds like the front end is going to fall apart. Funny thing is, over even pavement at any speeds the car is solid and no noise. Did you ever get it fixed?

Archived