LegacyGT.com

quick oil change question

My vote is change your washer. I would re-use the crush washer on my Forester 3-4 times during oil changes and never had an issue. The FIRST time I did it on my Leggy, it leaked and made a mess. I decided then that .75c was better spent saving my time.

Fumoto drain valves are not what they are cracked up to be. Have seen and used them on multiple vehicles. First, they require one or more spacers to get their orientation correct so that it sits with the valve lever at the 12 o'clock position. If it sits at 3 o'clock or lower oil drips from the peacock even when closed. Two, the nipple that screws into the pan is too long and by using introduces a lip at the drain hole which keeps the last bit of oil from draining from the pan. Not a huge problem, but I decided to stop using them for these reasons. Some people love them.

Alright, thanks for input. Ill just wait til tomorrow to head to the Subaru dealership and load up on crush washers. Im heading out to Colorado later this week and due for an oil change in 800 miles but just want to get it out of the way. And I've always been conceded about the fumotovalves because they sit kinda low and possibly driving through some hard packed snow would leave you high and dry if it snaps off. Thanks for the other input though shadowsports...I definitely wont be purchasing a fumotovalve now

When I change the oil in the 05 last time I noticed the washer was gone. I just put the plug back in. No washer, no leaks. Go figure.

I should just buy the valve and be done with it. My Spec has one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Fumoto valve to drain the oil and a red plastic cup to remove the oil filter. 10 minutes or less oil change and not a drop of oil on the hands (or floor).

Hey there's a country song about a red plastic cup. But the song talks about having alcohol in it not oil.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My old dealer in NC used to throw the washers in free with the filters, a cheap gesture that kept me happy. Lately I have been ordering my filters form Fred Bean Parts (vendor on here) and they are cheaper when you order them in bulk, and they slide a washer under the plastic of each one, no extra charge either.

My local dealer charges me for them too, it's just kinda irratating knowing how cheap they are. It surprises me how much businesses don't realize how far a small, cheap gesture can go.

Do I HAVE to replace my crush washer on my drain plug every oil change.

No, you don't have to, but it's a good idea unless you are willing to risk some sweating. But any leak that occurs will be insignificant and mostly cosmetic.

453747.png

Archived