LegacyGT.com

What happens to LGT with 87 octane fuel?

The LGT is designed to run 91 octane minimum. If you ran 87 octane, your knock sensor would detect detonation and retard your timing, resulting in less power, more unburned gas and possible formation of carbon deposits in your combustion chamber, all without eliminating entirely the prospect of piston or head damaging detonation. But why don't you try it, save some money in the short term, and report back to us with your results? :p

Lower octane == more prone to preignition/detonation. The ECU hears knock and pulls timing. If pulling timing doesn't fix the issue, the ECU will then pull boost.

87 octane == bad idea for a turbocharged motor. Burn the fuel which is recommended by the manufacturer of the vehicle. Or get yourself an 87 octane tune.

It's perfectly safe to run 87 octane. If you can live with less power than the car is capable of making, and have your motor running in a sub-optimal mode.

People have posted numerous links about the necessity of using premium gas in a car that runs on it. I agree 100% and would never run 87 octane in my car, however, today, it is less of a problem than ever to do it according to the information links below.

Just because it's not as bad as it used to be, doesn't mean it is good and should be done. If you can afford the car, afford the proper gas to put in it. Just because if your car is out of alignment doesn't mean you HAVE to get it fixed, but you SHOULD right? Otherwise you damage the suspension over time and kill your tires... Same principal here, just because you probably CAN put in 87 octane doesn't mean you should and then suffer the consequences that follow.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-07-30-premiumgas_x.htm

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fueleconomy/articles/106293/article.html

about 2 weeks when filling up before a couple hours of driving the gas guy puts 87 in when i asked for super. i wasnt taking a chance and made him give me a bottle of octane booster figuring it would balance out. rather be safe then sorry especially since it was his mistake. car actually felt real good with the booster, it may have been all in my head but it did feel a little more responsive?

Archived