LegacyGT.com

Would you put headers on your lgt?

tommypenguin

Aside from worrying about cracking headers, which I'm not worried, would those who have done headers do it again? Were you pleased with the way the car sounded? I'm well aware of the sound difference between EL and Non-El headers. Did any of you have any issues with the heat from the headers melting anything? I'm stage 2 and been debating on picking up a set up MR headers, haven't heard of anyone's cracking that wasn't coated. What risks besides cracking should I consider when putting some uncoated headers on my car?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you even read that thread or my questions you would have saw that I posted in it, and didn't get the answers I was looking for. I've been searching for a week and haven't found definitive answers to my questions.

I'm looking at the negatives to headers, I know they put out gains. I'm not worried about cracking, I just want to know what preventative measures I should take to ensure I won't melt anything, I'm trying to find if melting is a common problem. Basically is there a decent chance the heat from the headers could damage something near the piping because the headers I'm looking at are uncoated? Second, I've read a couple people with certain types of headers had rattles, how common is this? I wouldn't be getting a protune for a few months would I be safe to run my car w/o a tune with headers for a few months or does the car run lean? I take it you are not supposed to plug the sensor into the bung hole on the header?

For starters, I don't think they sound that good. We tried to track down a leak for over a week because of the "raspiness" but everything was sealed fine. Power gains: meh. 261/316 (stage 2 protuned) or something. Felt like a slight increase in top end but that's not saying much (ie save for new turbo). Even with the coated MR, the plastic has started to sag down. Save your money for a new turbo and enjoy your bulletproof cast iron wonders.

I was actually just looking at some dyno graphs today. One car had MR headers and the other had stock manifolds and an Invidia uppipe. Otherwise they were 100% identical. Both had Invidia catless DP's and MR catbacks. The car with the headers made about 13whp more and the same peak torque, but held on to peak torque for quite a bit longer than the stock header car and had a lot more area under the curve. It's probably worth noting that the headers car was just running an OTS tune and the stock manifold car had a real Protune. I'll post up the charts tomorrow.

Headers do make power regardless of what the haters say. I have not had a single cracking issue on any of the non-coated headers I've sold. The stock manifolds are more longterm durable, but for the length of time that most people own their cars I honestly think it's kind of a moot point.

Archived