LegacyGT.com

Want to quiet Nameless Axle back, considering few options

05 OBXT here. It has a catted downpipe and stock midpipe. I picked up the 4" version nameless axle back and installed on my car and like the sound alot. However I find it just a bit too loud in certain conditions. I had an SBT catback in my old LGT and that was perfect. I'd like to quiet it down a bit instead of putting the stock mufflers back on. Considering a few options:

1) I could replace the stock resonator, and/or add a second one with one of these:

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1033_1055&products_id=45

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1033_1054&products_id=289

Not sure there's enough room to add one of these if keeping the stock one in place. I could remove the stock one and add one of these, but not sure it will make a difference.

2) I could revert to the stock axle back, but have a shop replace the stock muffler with a performance muffler that's not a straight through design like the nameless ones.

3) Also considering some sound proofing. A friend of mine says he had some good luck with Quiet Coat and I was thinking applying a few coats in the hatch

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Serious-Materials-QuietCoat/dp/B004ZFZARY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425565321&sr=8-1&keywords=quiet+coat]Amazon.com: QuietCoat: Musical Instruments[/ame]

Thoughts?

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products

Read this site -

Add CLD / foam / MLV to the rear hatch.

I did CLD / Foam to the rear hatch and it made any exhaust noise go away. I am on the OEM exhaust though.

Thanks for the suggestions. Good options for insulation. I'd still like an option to actually quiet down the exhaust. Will check with my exhaust shop and see what they recommend.

Try experimenting with wrapping the pipe as far back as you think you need to with DEI Ti wrap. I thought mine was a bit loud too and I wrapped the Agency Power ELH, the Grimmspeed UP, the Cobb DP, and then I wrapped the midpipe all the way back to the Y and it made a HUGE difference in the sound, both inside and outside.

I have the proverbial Ebay CCBE (Cheap Cat Back Exhaust which, by the way, is actually made out of decent stainless {I have a buddy that owns a company that makes all stainless boat railings and equipment and he tested it and said it had good nickel and chromium content in it})and I made it fit perfectly (read used torch to bend the hangers to get everything to fit nicely and straight), but it was a bit louder than I wanted, so I began with an 11" Schoenfeld race muffler in the middle of the mid-pipe and that helped a bit, but it was still louder than I wanted. I had extra DEI Ti wrap from the aforementioned wrapping projects, so I began to go further and further back with it. I kept going with the wrap to where it is now (right to the Y), and I get all kinds of compliments on the sound now. It has a very nice burble to it and when you get on it, it sounds almost like a strong V8.

I think that you can easily tune the sound of your exhaust system by experimenting with the wrap and tune it so it sounds like you want it. It's a pretty cheap and easy way to tune it!

Good luck. :)

Try experimenting with wrapping the pipe as far back as you think you need to with DEI Ti wrap. I thought mine was a bit loud too and I wrapped the Agency Power ELH, the Grimmspeed UP, the Cobb DP, and then I wrapped the midpipe all the way back to the Y and it made a HUGE difference in the sound, both inside and outside.

I have the proverbial Ebay CCBE (Cheap Cat Back Exhaust which, by the way, is actually made out of decent stainless {I have a buddy that owns a company that makes all stainless boat railings and equipment and he tested it and said it had good nickel and chromium content in it})and I made it fit perfectly (read used torch to bend the hangers to get everything to fit nicely and straight), but it was a bit louder than I wanted, so I began with an 11" Schoenfeld race muffler in the middle of the mid-pipe and that helped a bit, but it was still louder than I wanted. I had extra DEI Ti wrap from the aforementioned wrapping projects, so I began to go further and further back with it. I kept going with the wrap to where it is now (right to the Y), and I get all kinds of compliments on the sound now. It has a very nice burble to it and when you get on it, it sounds almost like a strong V8.

I think that you can easily tune the sound of your exhaust system by experimenting with the wrap and tune it so it sounds like you want it. It's a pretty cheap and easy way to tune it!

Good luck. :)

Great advise, thanks! I was only really thinking about the noise coming out to the exhaust and would have never thought that wrapping the pipes would make a difference. I'll definitely give that a shot, thanks!

Archived