LegacyGT.com

OEM Navigation - "I Agree"

finse

So I bought a spec-b. I have been satisfied with most aspects of the car. However, IMHO there is one major annoyance with the OEM NAV/computer. Each time the car is started, I must select "I agree" to an EULA!

I wouldn't mind doing this every time I disconnect/reconnect the battery, but each time I start the car seems quite excessive. :icon_frow

So I called SOA. I asked about a firmware upgrade that would circumvent the EULA or possibly auto accept after 10-15 seconds (BMW has this type of firmware upgrade). I was told this EULA is a safety feature and can not be circumvented.

Does this irk anyone else here? If so, call SOA. power in numbers!

Every OEM NAV system has it. It could be worse, you could have a Mini Cooper S who's Agree button doesn't always agree with you.
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

Every OEM NAV system has it.

This is true. However, imho it doest have to be the case. I am guessing the reason for "i agree' is legal. SOA doesn't want the lawsuit from someone dumb enough to drive into a light pole while watching the pretty map. At the very least, they could provide the firmware if I signed a release form. More then likely I wouldn't care (as much) if I didn't at least one other manufacturer is providing a similar upgrade to their NAV systems.

It could be worse, you could have a Mini Cooper S who's Agree button doesn't always agree with you.

Excellent point. The functionality of the system is solid. The NAV has agreed with me 100% of the time thus far. :icon_bigg

train your trunk monkey to press it for you. (he may insist on more beer for the additional service, though.)

Ha! Good call! any one know if I can get one of these in a dash mount version?

http://www.aahom.org/img/store/drinkBird40x40.jpg

Every OEM NAV system has it. It could be worse, you could have a Mini Cooper S who's Agree button doesn't always agree with you.

Actually, nearly EVERY navigation system has this warning. My Pioneer AVIC-N2 makes me agree to a statement every time I start the car. The Garmin Streetpilot in my company car also makes me agree to a statement. As sad as this world is, the manufacturers feel this agreement is necessary as a legal liability measure.

At least on my AVIC-N2, I can just say "okay" instead of having to press a button. Either way, you still must acknowledge this legal statement.

the reason you might be able to by-pass it on the BMW is because of iDrive. Without pressing the "agree" button, you can't even change a radio station...
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

the reason you might be able to by-pass it on the BMW is because of iDrive. Without pressing the "agree" button, you can't even change a radio station...

Yet another excellent point. I think at this point I have reached the acceptance stage. I will suck it up and deal with it.

its a necessary evil we all must just bear with. my friend's TL and RL has the same issue and so does my garmin c330. have to hit that silly "agree" button everytime otherwise it wont do a damn thing. just bear with it... its annoying but at least it catches ur attention.

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

Our Acura TSX Navigation does the same thing.

yup, I checked and our CL does it too...it has a button "OK" to push before the nav will come on, but if you don't push it, after a while it will go to a clock "in space".....also, if you tap your finger on the clock screen, the clock will disappear and you will have just stars.....

If you can read this, you're following too close.

Click Me

I wonder why they feel compelled to require this on navigation screens but not anything else? The radio requires just as much attention, as does the HVAC or even the seat heater controls. You've never had to "Agree" before using them have you?

Maybe there should be some kind of EULA scroll by before you're allowed to crank the car. I'm sure that'd head off some lawsuits too, right?

I wonder why they feel compelled to require this on navigation screens but not anything else? The radio requires just as much attention, as does the HVAC or even the seat heater controls. You've never had to "Agree" before using them have you?

Maybe there should be some kind of EULA scroll by before you're allowed to crank the car. I'm sure that'd head off some lawsuits too, right?

:icon_roll

+1 I agree 100%

That's pretty lame. What's next, an EULA before we can start the car?

an agreement for female drivers that they won't talk on the phone, apply make ups, drink coffee, play with dildos, etc. while driving.

This Space For Rent

They make you agree every time so that on the 5000th itteration they can change the agreement such that they can withdraw all the mony from your bank account whenever they feel like it, and you will just click OK without reading the agreement.

:)

I may have a solution for everyone on this thread that is annoyed by the behavior of the NAV system at startup. I did some digging on the web and found this product being sold for the Prius. http://coastaletech.com/nav_kit.htm. It appears to do exactly what we're looking for. The Prius uses a Kenwood NAV but I am unclear if this kit will work on the Subaru NAV. I emailed the company to inquire this afternoon. I'll cc this thread on their response.

Archived