LegacyGT.com

Flat tire, need a replacement

CanyonCreek

Hi Folks,

I'm 300 miles from home with a hole in the sidewall on my ContiExtremeContact.

I'm having trouble finding a replacement on short notice.

Tech informs me that even if I could find a new replacement, Subaru does not advise replacing just one tire of a set because the difference in circumference due to wear will cause the drive system to fail.

Can anyone confirm this - if so, given conservate driving by a college professsor (my wife), at about how many miles does it become risky to replace one tire of a set?

Subara says that a 2% difference will cause the problem (acccording to the tech). So... how many miles = 2% difference?

What is the expected tread life of the ExtremeContact? (Mine have maybe 8000 miles on them)

I would think 8k miles is relatively low wear and you could probably replace it w/ a new tire of the exact same size and brand. I did that when I flatted one of my stock RE92s w/ 17k miles on it.

Where are you? I have two ContiExtremeContacts (215/45ZR17, stock size) w/ only 4K miles on them that I will sell for cheap. The same thing happened to me in the middle of nowhere, except that I punctured two of my Contis. I had to replace all four tires because I couldn't find any Contis in the same size and type. :(

Sear Auto Centers stock Conti's although you might have to order the Conti extremes from them but usually they are in a couple days at most. You can also order them direct from Tirerack.com

If you only have 8000 miles on the conti's and the current set has good tread depth than replacing one tire should not be a problem. I have 5K on my set and if one went I would not think twice about putting on a new tire with the others no matter what the tech said. On the other hand if you had say 15k on them it would be safer to replace them in pairs. I would expect the conti's to last at least 40k depending on how you drive.

I would think 8k miles is relatively low wear and you could probably replace it w/ a new tire of the exact same size and brand. I did that when I flatted one of my stock RE92s w/ 17k miles on it.

Where are you? I have two ContiExtremeContacts (215/45ZR17, stock size) w/ only 4K miles on them that I will sell for cheap. The same thing happened to me in the middle of nowhere, except that I punctured two of my Contis. I had to replace all four tires because I couldn't find any Contis in the same size and type. :(

Thanks for the feedback. Sactojesse -- sent you a pm. very interested in both ur contis since the mileage is about the same as mine.

Archived