LegacyGT.com

3 issues on my 06 GT LTD

Hi, brand new here, and I have noticed a few things on my 06 GT LTD and was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar (and if so, what can be done):

1. The climate control does not seem to regulate very well. At least this one I have found other references too. I've read a few long-term tests where they said that on hot days it would start out blowing cold air and then alternate between cold anf hot. Mine is basically doing the same thing, but being winter, it starts out hot and then alternates between hot and cold. Just seems like it should regulate better instead of bouncing between extremes.

2. The radio reception gets fuzzy in areas that I've never had problems before. It also seems to happen if I pull up close behind another vehicle, like at a stop light. When the light changes and the other car pulls away, the radio is fine. It has also happened at work when I park close to the building, which is metal. So it seems to be affected by proximity to large metal masses. I wonder if the antenna connection is loose or something.

3. The E/T display doesn't seem to do anything. All it ever shows is "- - -". This doesn't really bother me, as I always have the display set to Average MPG, but what is strange is that sometimes while driving, the E/T display will flash, like its trying to warn me about something, but yet it still just shows "- - -".

I'm sure the dealer will tell me everything is OK, and I can live with these things for now, but I would feel better (less crazy) to know I'm not the only one experiencing these things. Thanks.

3. I've read you should keep the key in the ON position until after the gauge sweep before turning to START, in order to make E/T work. This is reported to be an 06 "feature." (I think my 06 Tribeca loaner has the same issue as I have sometimes been missing E/T.)

1. This is something I've read about a lot on the 05s (not on the 06s) but I haven't had any real issues with my 05s climate control. Others may tell you it's "normal" or happens to theirs, I'd wait and see but sounds like if it's bad enough (and it sounds like it might be) you should have the dealer look at it.

2. These cars have an antenna integrated in to the rear window. This is the first car I've owned that doesn't just have a steel antenna on it, and I have noticed that on some of the weaker stations the reception isn't as good but I can't say whether it comes and goes when I'm near other cars or buildings in particular. It may be normal, the stations I listen to the most come in fairly strongly.

3. This is normal on the 06, you need to wait a bit in the ON position before turning the key all the way to start as I understand it. Unlike on the 05s where you can just crank it all the way over to start without any problems on the E/T display.

1. Read the sticky about how to use the Auto Climate control in the HVAC forum.

2. What type of radio station is it FM, AM or doesn't matter?

3. As some have pointed it, you have to wait till the gauge sweep is over then move it to the ON position and it is considered "normal" behavior.

I keed I keeed

Ha! This is too funny. This is the first time I've seen someone new to the forums with the dreaded, insidious, evil "---" bug. I can remember that fond day back in September when my '06 was new, barely a week old, and one of the first few '06s on the board, it seemed. Then I noticed my first problem........a "---" on the E/T function. So I posted to my here, my favorite forum, to no avail....for a while. Then phoenix96 found the answer and posted it a couple weeks later. How I love internet car forums and the answers one can find when linked to tons of people with the same car!

here it is in all it's glory:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19482&page=2&highlight=E%2FT+display

Anyway, I think the '06 climate control seems to be less crazy monkey on crack at times than the '05 I test drove, but Subaru still can improve on this IMHO. Once you get used to it, you learn how to trick it better. And as far as the antenna and radio reception, I really notice this versus my GTI as I listen to a lot of AM talk radio. With the GTI, it seems to never change signal quality, but any time in the Subie I get next to power lines, it goes bad to some degree.

Oh well, the total sum of the issues I've had are far less than any car I own and this car just amazes me more and more every time I drive.

3. As some have pointed it, you have to wait till the gauge sweep is over then move it to the ON position and it is considered "normal" behavior.

No need to wait for the gauge sweep to be over, really, the key just needs to be in the ON position long enough for the trip computer to turn on - I've found that pausing for a fraction of a second in ON is enough.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Thanks guys.

1. So far I've been setting the temp on both sides to 68.

2. I pretty much listen to 94.1 WHJY out of Providence RI exclusively. Anyone in the area who knows it knows that it is a very strong signal, and I have never had a reception problem with any of my other cars. And no, I do not have tinted windows.

3. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

And I agree that if this is all that goes wrong it is still a great value for what you get. My previous car was a 2001 Audi S4 which I loved to drive but hated paying for after the warranty ran out. The GT LTD is 90% of the car the Audi was for almost half the price.

Thanks again.

As far as radio reception, I never had a problem in my 05, though my previous car a Saab 9 3 had the best recpetion I have even seen in a car. It would pick up stations at my house I can't even get on my home stereo with an external antenna.

every car seesm to be different but it does sound like it is not normal to me.

Thanks guys.

2. I pretty much listen to 94.1 WHJY out of Providence RI exclusively. Anyone in the area who knows it knows that it is a very strong signal, and I have never had a reception problem with any of my other cars. And no, I do not have tinted windows.

Good station to listen to.:) Try also 103.7 weei (need sports:icon_twis ) Are you running the rear defrost or charging a cell phone or anything? When I charge my cell phone in either of the accessory jacks, it ALWAYS makes the radio reception suck-ass:icon_mad: !! I have never had a problem with the rear defrost however, but have heard about it.

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Thanks for the "E/T" fix. That was annoying the hell out of me on my 06 as well. Some trips it worked, some it didn't. Now I've given' it the "pause" in the "on" position and it works every time. I love car forums!

Archived