LegacyGT.com

CNT/Invidia down pipes

optyks

Hey guys, i'm trying to find a solid answer so I'm trying to "crowd source" some quality control reviews here. I'm at the point where I'm ready to order a catted down pipe.

My dilemma.

I want to do things right, I want quality. I'm almost set on buying an Invidia catted DP, but the only ones I can find are the divorced wastegate styles, which I'm seeing have fitment issues. How bad is this? Is it enough to cause leaks and problems down the road?

I've also read on the reviews that sometimes they throw CELs and run high emissions. (I want to install and not have to worry about passing emissions and such)

The other option is CNT. There are great reviews (from a while ago, which is part of my curiosity here) saying it's perfect and works well. However, people are saying their quality has gone down hill since the reviews were posted (I think back in 2009, 2010 sometime).

Has anyone ordered a CNT recently (in the last year or so)? What would you do?

I want good quality with a cat that I don't have to keep going back and fussing with.

Thanks!

• Moderators
FWIW, I bought a CNT way back when. Before install I ended up finding an invidia for a killer price so I sold the CNT. The invidia fit great. The new owner of the CNT said it was a bit of a pain to get on with slight fitment issues but it worked. I later switched to a Cobb piece on my last car to get the cat out of the engine bay and picked up another cobb for my current car--both pipes fit perfectly.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Alright then. And CNT says this to me through email. I asked about the quality of their pipes now:

"Our downpipe are even better now we improve them on every shipment."

Also, if it helps, i have a full 3 inch cat back

To my knowledge the invidia divorce only caused issues on the automatics downpipes which i posted pictures on how to fix(grinding down about 2 inches on the metal of the divorce)

They are a high quality pipe which i probably plan on getting at a later point if i go catless.

The cobb dp has a 2.5inch taper at the end of the pipe which is something to take into account if you want a full 3 inch exhaust through out the system.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

There is no issue with fitment, per se. It'll bolt up just fine. The issue is with the divorce divider hitting the WG door arm, or rather the door arm hitting the divider, which prevents the WG from opening up properly.

This is a well documented problem that I'm not sure if Invidia has corrected most recently, but as of September 2009, I bought a new DP from FredBeans and it was still present on my 2005 5MT with stock VF40. Don't know if they've revised it in 4 years.

Someone else who recently installed a catless version had the same issue.

You have 2 choices:

1) Get a different pipe. The CNT pipes I think are actually clones of the Invidia's so it's basically the same issue you may have.

2) Grind the divider plate a bit in the middle. This is what I ended up doing.

You may think the divider doesn't stick out much, and the newer (2011+) DPs don't, but do it anyway. Otherwise, you might be kicking yourself for having the remove the DP just to grind it.

They're both a "bell mouth" design, as far as the down pipe shape to the turbo connection. The Invidia just has a divorce piece added inside "to create a smoother exhaust flow".

Archived