LegacyGT.com

loud turbo

I recently noticed my turbo has become extremely loud. I used to have an SPT intake and it sounds similar to how it sounded when I had the intake on it. basically just the whooshing sound of the turbo spooling. I have an sti up pipe with an autospeed cat back. I have an infamous stage 2 tune and a K&N panel filter and a turbo xs hybrid 50/50 blow off valve. my boost should be peaking at 17.5 psi and its cutting off at 13.5ish. Im also noticing a lot of lag and the blow off valve is much more quiet. I have tried reflashing. Has anyone had anything like this happen? Could it be a boost leak? I have searched and cant seem to diagnose anything so thanks for any input and advice

The loud turbo noise isn't being emitted by the BOV. The BOV is well downstream, a small orifice and wouldnt sound like massive spoolage :) The turbo inlet slipping off or having a crack or the connector btwn the turbo and the TMIC is more likely the culprit. A more simple fix, if you have the block off plate, is to set the BOV to full recirc.

you can just visually inspect the inlet to turbo connection and tmic/tb connection. you'll generally be able to see if it is slipping off, hose clamps will be askew, maybe some slight oily residue at the tb/tmic connection.

if you have access to a compressor, try putting a paint can where your air intake goes and pressurizing the whole intake up to about 12psi through the small line off the bpv.

if you're still on stock inlet and stock tb/tmic I'd inspect closely, my inlet had a tear and tb/tmic had blown out on the tb side at 110k.

Ok the turbo inlet hose was the culprit. It was completely disconnected from the inlet. The car runs great now but now I'm hearing a loud screeching sound at wot. The sound changes tones sometimes it's a low pitch whistle. Could this be signs of a future turbo failure?

Ok the turbo inlet hose was the culprit. It was completely disconnected from the inlet. The car runs great now but now I'm hearing a loud screeching sound at wot. The sound changes tones sometimes it's a low pitch whistle. Could this be signs of a future turbo failure?

That is your turbo failing. It's contacting the housing due to excessive shaft play :( Now you get to look for a new turbo BEFORE it craps and takes your engine with it.

Is there easy access to the inside of the turbo to check for shaft play? I want to do this tonight if possible. If I unbolt my down pipe from the turbo will it allow me to reach my finger in there? Also if It is my turbo, what does everyone recommend as far as what turbo to get and where to buy it? I would probably get a rebuilt one to save some money. I'm not opposed to the idea of getting a bigger turbo and aftermarket intercooler but I want to keep my car reliable. What would be the next step up from the vf40? Would anything bolt right up?

A bnr 16g or a vf-52 are both good upgrades for the stock vf-40. You're correct about pulling the downpipe. Check the shaft for play while the downpipe is off, then go from there. Also remember, if you get an upgraded turbo you'll need a tune to go along with it to optimize it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To check the turbo. 3 bolts intercooler,2 hoses throttle and bpv,5? Bolts turbo heat shield,2 bolts down pipe to mid pipe. One bolt transmission mount on down pipe, and 5 nuts on the down pipe holding on the turbo. Think you need a 10,12, and 14mm sockets and box wrenches. Pretty easy!

Archived