LegacyGT.com

Advice on fighting TWO tickets!!??

All,

I was pulled over yesterday afternoon and encountered the worst police officer I've ever met! He gave me two tickets. The first one was a speeding ticket for 63 in a 40. I know for a fact I wasn't going over 50. I looked at my speedo as soon as I saw him and started slowing down from 50. After he hands me the speeding ticket he asks for license BACK b/c I didn't use my turn signal when he pulled me over!!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I'm for sure going to court and try to fight these. Does anybody have any advice? These are my first tickets in years!

Well yeah, the'll reduce the first ticket easily if you go to court. They won't wipe it off.....as for the blinker, that's just stupid (but happened to me once). Just tell the judge you were really nervous as you haven't been pulled over in a long time and you were focused on pulling over quickly. Or that you felt you didn't need to, since there were BIG BLUE Flashing lights to signal traffic to be careful.........=)

Sounds like that ass was just hitting quota.......I haven't gotten a ticket in ages..(Knock on wood) but keep us posted......and

GOOD LUCK

As he's handing me my ticket for the blinker, MY TURN SIGNAL IS STILL ON!!! I never turned it off until I pulled away. The ironic thing, the one ticket he could've given me and didn't was for my seat belt. I wasn't wearing it, I know, shame on me. I actually thought that was why he was pulling me over. It was obviously a quota thing. Thanks for your reply though!

I have successfulley fought and won 2 cases for speeding tickets in my lifetime. It was actualy not that hard but maybe I got lucky. Also the laws vary greatly in different states I am in CT. The way I fought and won these cases was simple.

1. NEVER admit to anyone that you where going over the posted limit. This admits guilt in some fashion regardless of speed.

2. Be prepared most people that try to fight speeding tickets come in unprepared for their court date and wind up looking rediculous in front of the judge. Know your facts it most likely will be a extended amount of time between when you got the tickets and when you actually go to court. Most of the time the Cop will not remeber the details and you can take advantage of this and make him look like an *SS in front of a judge

3. Don't let the court intimidate you. You have a right to prove your innocence. Unlike any other criminal case with traffic cases you are Guilty unitll proven innocent. Not very constitutional if you ask me.

4. This is actually what got me off on both speeding tickets. I came in so prepared that the attorney or judge did not want continue with my case. I had over 30 pages of questions to cross examine the Officer that gave me my ticket after about a 1 1/2 hours of drilling the officer and catching him in many inconsistancies the Attorney decided to drop their case against me. The only reason this worked was becuase I took up more of their time then the ticket was worth to them and they wanted to go home. It is your right to a fair trial and make sure you exercise this!!!

Good luck

Neil

Also dress decently. Be meek and humble, even slightly nervous. You don't want to be the smooth politician here. You will gain sympathy if you look uncomfortable. You wouldn't go through the torture if you weren't innocent. And always address the Judge with "Your Honor". Show sincere respect for the court. Worked for me.

4. This is actually what got me off on both speeding tickets. I came in so prepared that the attorney or judge did not want continue with my case. I had over 30 pages of questions to cross examine the Officer that gave me my ticket after about a 1 1/2 hours of drilling the officer and catching him in many inconsistancies the Attorney decided to drop their case against me. The only reason this worked was becuase I took up more of their time then the ticket was worth to them and they wanted to go home. It is your right to a fair trial and make sure you exercise this!!!

Good luck

Neil

Don't try that in MD, the Judge will get PISSED. I know a few people who tried to fight it, the judge got POed and threw the book at them. Kangeroo courts, all of them.

What an Arsshole. There are a couple of things you should have done. I know it can be hard to question a cop; especially when they are arrssholes and carry a gun.

1. Ask to see the radar gun

2. Ask to see the last time it was calibrated

What was the traffic, weather, etc. Is there anyway it was another vehicle that was hit.

3. If he is a complete ass and won't let you see it; then ask for his sergeant to the scene.

Most of the time the cops boss will let you go or at least mediate the situation.

Now that you are going to court, it is going to be your word against his; you know the judge is going to favor him so you have to have an edge. Make sure you bring up his attitude and treatment. Pray that he does not show up to court either. I used to have this web link on "how to beat a speeding ticket" Do a search on the net.

Good luck.

There's a few websites with good advice. A couple points are:

1. Change insurance companies if you're charged. The points will be reported to the old insurance company that's on file with the DMV.

2. Always request a court date change. The first date that's mailed will be the day the officer is supposed to be in court. Change it to something random.

3. Submit a certified request to the agency for evidence, copy of ticket(s), notes the officer made, make/model/serial number of gun, officer training records on the gun, last time it was callibrated, etc.

Tons of good info. out there.

There was so much traffic, 4:30 pm, city street, I'm confident he clocked the in front of me. Just ticks me off that I have to go to court!

I'll be the first to admitt that sometimes I might drive fast, but I wasn't this time. I guess my karma caught up with me this time.

There's a few websites with good advice. A couple points are:

1. Change insurance companies if you're charged. The points will be reported to the old insurance company that's on file with the DMV.

This is not true. Your new company will order MVR and see the tickets ;)

This happend to *cough* a friend of mine *cough*.

If you change insurance companies after the ticket issuance but before it gets filed as an "official" violation. The new insurer *may* not know about it. But if they do find out, and you didn't tell them, then they will drop you like a hot potato. When the new insurer asks you about violations, be extremely carefull about your wording. It's "I have not been convicted of a moving violation" not "I have not received any tickets". The former is true, the last is a lie.

Mincing words? Yes? But this is the legal system where specific wording matters.

Also check on "traffic courts". I got a red light camera ticket (By 2 feet and the yellow light wasn't timed properly!!) but did it on-line as I got the ticket out of state and a court date was out of the question. It's a scam but I don't have a violation.

<-- works for an insurance company as a software developer coding this sh*t. If they don’t get you when you switch they WILL get you come renewal time. So you are correct you can “run” for one insurance term but it will catch up with you ;) . You are best off staying with who you have if you have been with them for a few renewals. Many companies have “forgiveness” for the first incident in 3 years.

If you are in a relatively big city, ask for a jury trial. Dress nicely and tell the prosecuter that you have an attorney. Tell the prosecutor you want to see the results of the officers radar certificationand ask for proof that the radar was calibrated recently. Chances are they have hundreds or thousands of people to run thru the court system that day. They will not want to pay a jury to hear a case about a moving violation. Do not let them talk you into Def Driving or probation. I have gotten out of many speeding tickets laike that.

In fact, I have a court date on Feb 7th. I will let you know how it goes.

Go to the libarary and check out one of those fighting a speeding ticket book for your state. THey're really infomative and I know a lot of people who were able to beat it with enough reseach.

P.S. If you admitted anything while you were pulled over. i.e.

Officer: "Do you know how fast you were going?"

You: "50mph"

that means you're getting a ticket, congrats!

P.P.S. Speeding is bad, bad bad bad!

What an Arsshole. There are a couple of things you should have done. I know it can be hard to question a cop; especially when they are arrssholes and carry a gun.

1. Ask to see the radar gun

2. Ask to see the last time it was calibrated

What was the traffic, weather, etc. Is there anyway it was another vehicle that was hit.

3. If he is a complete ass and won't let you see it; then ask for his sergeant to the scene.

Most of the time the cops boss will let you go or at least mediate the situation.

Now that you are going to court, it is going to be your word against his; you know the judge is going to favor him so you have to have an edge. Make sure you bring up his attitude and treatment. Pray that he does not show up to court either. I used to have this web link on "how to beat a speeding ticket" Do a search on the net.

Good luck.

http://www.motorists.org/issues/tickets/avoiding_tickets.html

Find a good "ticket Lawyer" in your city. Most garauntee to get it dropped for like $65 + court fees (if any)... And no points on your licence. If not, show up... Plead not Guilty, set a date... change the date. Most times the cop will not show and it will be dropped!

Or changed to a non moving violation.

wow, im very suprised by the comments here

i think you guys have been watching too much of The Practice, Boston Legal, etc...

not to be offensive, if i came off that way, just saying it was VERY informative

lol

^ lol

Hmmm sorry to hear that the cop was being such a dick.

I wonder if they are required to video of you pulling over. I mean I figure that all policemen have camera mounted to their car because you see those videos of cops pulling someone over and trying to run away or shot the cop. If they had that you might be able to prove you used your blinker.

As for the speeding ticket I would like to say I wish I could see the radar gun, but I get so nervous in front of any type of authority or in front of people who have some type of power over me that I probably wouldn't. So I wouldn't know what would happen.

BTW how do you get the court to reschedule the date? If I remember correctly you have to have them change it due to some type of emergency ie your mom dying or you getting hit by a car that day.

Archived