LegacyGT.com

ABS delete ?

is it possible ? ive been driving my 05 focus for almost 5 years and it doesnt have abs and i like not having it , my 98 i belive has abs. how can i do away with it ? thanks

pull fuse?

I kinda liked my 90 Legacy without abs vs my 00 Maxima both with snow tires. we'll see if i feel the same way about my 96. Sometimes I wish you could change the threshold at which the ABS stepped in.

Just pull the fuse.

I pulled the fuse on my 94 Turbo. Brakes and tires were grippy, and ABS would engage long before the tires would lock, even in the rain. Yanked the fuse, and handled things myself.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

If you pull the fuse, I believe it messes with your brake bias.

Every brake system has a "proportioning valve" that adjust brake bias, from front to rear (with abs, left to right as well). The proportioning valve is usually mounted on the firewall right in the middle.

You can eliminate ABS by replacing the ABS motor with a proportioning valve, Wilwood makes an adjustable proportioning valve.

• I Donated

Agreed.

Brake bias gets all screwed up.

If you want ABS delete, swap out all the parts from a non-ABS Subaru. A non-ABS Subaru can be easily identified. If it has two lines on the master cylinder, it has ABS. 4 lines on the master cylinder = no abs

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Brake bias is controlled externally of the ABS module. All the ABS controller does is... control ABS.

Pull the fuse in the engine bay (it's one of the slow-blow fuses), and ABS turns off. Brake bias is unaffected.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Every brake system has a "proportioning valve" that adjust brake bias, from front to rear (with abs, left to right as well).

That is not how a proportioning valve works.

The prop. valve does nothing but cut rear line pressure above a threshold, and has nothing to do with L/R bias. When pressure hits a certain point, the valve closes off the rear line to prevent higher pressure.

I used to have a graphic of the bias pressures for the BC/BF cars. The BF had a higher rear bias threshold, so it was a useful swap on the sedan to increase rear bias when upgrading the front brakes.

The prop valve is static, and does not change bias on the fly. All it does is limit rear bias, it doesn't respond to ABS or anything of the sort.

You are correct that a standard proportioning valve does not adjust brake bias on the fly. To better word what I was saying, A proportioning valve sets the brake bias. There are adjustable proportioning valves, but you cannot adjust them while driving. you have to manually change them (essentially the turn of a knob).

Please, explain to me what controls the brake bias "Externally". Part number, or even part name would suffice.

The proportioning valve is built into the ABS "module" (which to my knowledge, includes the abs motor, controller, module, etc.), and on newer cars with TRAC, VSC, etc, the ABS "module" controls front to rear, left to right, bias.

I agree that driving a car without ABS is more fun, but it is there for a reason. I have owned cars with and without ABS. Driving with no ABS in the snow blows. ABS is there for a reason, I say keep it and use it.

Brake bias is set by brake rotor diameter, piston size, line pressure, and pad compound. Below the static cutoff point, the line pressure is the same in the front and rear.

The ABS unit is passive, until it's required, and then it pulsates individual wheels to help mitigate lockup. The ABS unit has no control over bias.

Some newer cars are different, and biasing is actively controlled by things like VDC, but in older cars, like the Legacy here, it's a relatively "dumb" system.

ABS is the WORST in snow. It's been long proven that an attentive driver can stop a car in much shorter time without ABS in the snow, than with.

ABS is useful for maintaining control in an emergency braking situation. In other situations, it helps increase stopping distances.

One reason for ABS causing longer stopping distances is that when the driver feels it working he/she stops pressing the brake pedal causing the wheels with grip to not get enough pressure for maximum brake power.

I can agree that ABS isn't an ideal system, but it does help in some circumstances. And when you drive in deep snow neither ABS nor TCS are helpful, and they cause more trouble than they are a help. This because the conditions in deep snow is way off from the normal flat surface conditions. Same goes for mud and other off-road conditions.

453747.png

One reason for ABS causing longer stopping distances is that when the driver feels it working he/she stops pressing the brake pedal causing the wheels with grip to not get enough pressure for maximum brake power.

I can agree that ABS isn't an ideal system, but it does help in some circumstances. And when you drive in deep snow neither ABS nor TCS are helpful, and they cause more trouble than they are a help. This because the conditions in deep snow is way off from the normal flat surface conditions. Same goes for mud and other off-road conditions.

The other reason ABS causes longer stopping distances, is that it allows the wheels to lock. You'll never stop quickly if the wheel locks up.

ABS helps maintain control because it does what people are mostly unwilling to do. Let off the brakes in an emergency.

Brake bias is set by brake rotor diameter, piston size, line pressure, and pad compound. Below the static cutoff point, the line pressure is the same in the front and rear.

I understand that, but the "proportioning valve" is built into the ABS motor. I am pretty sure (not entirely though) that the brake pressure to the front and the rear is different, and by disabling the ABS it could potentially mess up the brake bias.

I just don't seem to understand why you would want to get rid of ABS. Yes it's a crutch, but if you can drive a car without ABS just fine, then drive a car with ABS the same way. If you're going for OMGSUPERRACECAR, you should remove the ABS motor and everything for "weight reduction".

And saying that it allows the wheels to lock... lol. The driver allows the wheels to lock, and the ABS stops them from going into full lock.

its for the drivers that understand nothin about cars.

It's for people who don't want to have to think so much while driving, to make it easier on themselves. I understand a lot about cars, but you don't see me taking out my ABS. My legacy is my DD, and I see no reason to remove ABS.

Cars used to not come with ABS, so why did all manufacturers add it? Because it prevents a lot of accidents.

I don't mean to come off as a douche, wait yes I do. You need to understand there is no reason to remove your abs unless you're going for weight reduction for a racecar, or if you think you're some amazing driver. I don't care if you're Colin McRae, it's dumb to remove your ABS.

You can drive a car with ABS the same way you can drive a car without ABS. So... why don't you just do that?

I understand that, but the "proportioning valve" is built into the ABS motor. I am pretty sure (not entirely though) that the brake pressure to the front and the rear is different, and by disabling the ABS it could potentially mess up the brake bias.

You are wrong. I hate to put it that way, but you are. On the first and second gen Legacy, this is just not how the ABS unit works.

I just don't seem to understand why you would want to get rid of ABS. Yes it's a crutch, but if you can drive a car without ABS just fine, then drive a car with ABS the same way. If you're going for OMGSUPERRACECAR, you should remove the ABS motor and everything for "weight reduction".

You CAN'T drive a car without ABS the same way you drive a car with ABS. It isn't possible.

And saying that it allows the wheels to lock... lol. The driver allows the wheels to lock, and the ABS stops them from going into full lock.

It does. ABS functions by unlocking a wheel, waiting, then reapplying pressure. If the wheel locks up again, it unlocks it. If it doesn't, it leaves it alone. ABS works by locking up, then unlocking, wheels. ABS does not threshold brake for you.

It's for people who don't want to have to think so much while driving, to make it easier on themselves. I understand a lot about cars, but you don't see me taking out my ABS. My legacy is my DD, and I see no reason to remove ABS.

There are many situations where ABS hurts more than it helps. Snow/ice is a perfect example.

Cars used to not come with ABS, so why did all manufacturers add it? Because it prevents a lot of accidents.

Because drivers aren't instructed on how to drive in this country. Drivers Ed teaches you the rules of the road. It does not teach you how to drive.

I don't mean to come off as a douche, wait yes I do. You need to understand there is no reason to remove your abs unless you're going for weight reduction for a racecar, or if you think you're some amazing driver. I don't care if you're Colin McRae, it's dumb to remove your ABS.

You are coming off as a Douche. Some people don't like ABS. Who are you to tell them they are dumb for that?

You can drive a car with ABS the same way you can drive a car without ABS. So... why don't you just do that?

If you want to crash, you'll drive a car with ABS like it doesn't have ABS.

If you pump the brakes with ABS, all you are doing is preventing ABS from doing it's job.

ABS does not allow you to threshold brake, ESPECIALLY in a first or second gen with sticky tires and sticky pads. Even in newer cars, like the 4th Gen.

You can't even properly left-foot brake with ABS, and that's something that a LOT of people do when auto-crossing.

You are perfectly entitled to think that.

To the OP: Simply removing the fuse disables ABS with no other negative effects. There are plenty of reasons to disable ABS, just make sure you know how to actually use the brakes without it.

my experience on snow going down hill is that it is WAY better to have the car in 1 and going slow than to use the brakes. if the tires have grip, let the engine slow the car down. i had WAY more control by not using the brakes until i got to the corner.

of course, speed kills, and it does it while slipping and sliding when there is snow on the ground.

the other thing i have noticed about ABS with out the snow on the ground, it occurs so rarely that i tend to forget that it is there. i just don't see it working all that much in my car.it is rare.

thanks guys , this car is primarily gunna be winter duty and back up duty only. and im a decent driver , my focus with brand new studded snows sucks in the snow and i only managed to go off the road once this past winter , and it was because i hit a foot wide patch of unplowed snow on the right while moving over to give the person in the other lane some more room. it just sucked me right in.

Archived