LegacyGT.com

Bent strut question

N2L

Well, I've bent a strut. It is a stock LGT limited wagon front right strut. I have been sitting on a set of Koni's and new springs for a bit trying to puzzle out the answer to this, and figured I might as well just ask the experts:

Am I going to be able to reuse any part of the strut? Or should I buy a new one? Since the Koni's are an insert: I need to drill and cut the old strut. My strut looks bent, but the mounts look fine. The actual shock body is crooked. It is leaning inboard, and giving me about 2 degrees of camber on that tire. It's about 75 bucks for a new KYB replacement strut, And thats 75 bucks I don't want to spend if I dont have to. This is also my daily so I can't afford to have it down for multiple days in an "order as I go" sort of repair.

I've read the FredBeans walk through several times for some insight, but I just can't wrap my head around it. Anyone have any idea how I can figure this out without disassembling it?

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

what is bent? The black piece of "pipe" on the strut, or the silver piston piece?

I'd say just spend the $75 to be safe, but that's just me. Might be little things wrong with the strut that you aren't seeing.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

You gentleman are the honest voice of my sensible side, and I thank you. My frugal side hates you both however, hahaha.

The "pipe" section appears bent. The silver section may also be slightly bent. I was checking the firmness of a curb at about 60mph in the rain while my girlfriend was giving me bad directions from the passenger seat. I assure you, the curb was very real, and my girlfriend was very wrong.

Archived