LegacyGT.com

What's this weird sound?!?!?!

So I noticed this sound while getting on the freeway today and it wasn't pretty. Under power (pressing the gas pedal) there isn't a sound but when I let off the gas and let the engine slow the car there is some shuddering that seems to be associated with speed. Its very apparent at higher speed and decreases in intensity as I slow down. I know it isn't a bearing b/c I have replaced one of those before. The sound a bearing makes is a constant noise whereas this is more of a clunking that goes faster with speed. The sound is only apparent when slowing down while still in gear. When I push in the clutch or coast in neutral the sound goes away.

I have a hard time locating exactly where the sound is coming from with the windows open due to the speed factor and wind noise but I feel like its the drivers side front wheel, maybe an axle? I'm really at a loss and hoping that it isn't going to be a huge deal but I would rather deal with it before it becomes a bigger problem.

Any ideas?

What way were you turning (if any) while getting on the highway?

I had this problem while decelerating and slightly turning right.

It has gotten much worse and I still cannot figure out what it is. Possible u-joint which will not be fun or cheap to fix.

In for some suggestions.

How many miles are on the car? It could be something as easy as a tire out of balance.

Have you tried turning in an open lot? If it was an axle, you would hear a clicking noise when the wheel is turned full left/right.

Shuddering could also be a brake issue. It would increase in intensity at higher speeds when you stop.

90,000 miles and its not a brake issue. The issue seems to be somewhere in the path from the engine to the wheel b/c the sound only occurs when I am slowing down against the engine if that makes sense. When I put the car in neutral and coast at any speed the issue goes away.

I will try the turning thing though but I was going straight on the freeway when the sound was at its worst.

Update- there is a little bit of noise with sharp turning but its hard to reproduce every time. It seems that the clunking noise mostly comes at speed with slight turning. Also a new noise developed, when I am coming to a stop there is a rubbing sound and its definitely the front driver's side wheel. The new noise is also speed related meaning that as the car slows down so does the noise, so it seems to be related to the wheel turning.

Braking component, wheel bearing, ball joints, stab link, wheel tire weight/tpms loose or cv's..you're choice. I know you've said it isn't a bearing, but grab the wheel and tire and shake it, while on the ground or in the air. It shouldn't move, at all.

Archived