LegacyGT.com

Clearing up all the oil info....

Was the "in depth" testing you saw based on a turbocharged subaru? 'Cause if not, no one here really cares.

Not trying to be a dick here, but I believe several folks have done UOAs on Rotella T6, 5w-40 and the results have been good. Could be wrong though, never bothered to worry to terribly much--I just change it on the regular.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2752.pdf

When it comes to the sheared, (permanent), viscosity of an oil, I don't think a turbo really matters. Granted in the case of the graph in the above literature, the fuel dilution does not mean squat for the application of a Subie either, but look at the drop in initial viscosity and the sheared.

I collect vintage Honda motorcycles and some of the early V4's had some serious oiling problems. I have done ALOT of research on oil and filters for my bikes. It just carries over into anything I put oil in and my Subie doesn't get cheated out of the best I can find, anymore than my bikes will.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2752.pdf

When it comes to the sheared, (permanent), viscosity of an oil, I don't think a turbo really matters. Granted in the case of the graph in the above literature, the fuel dilution does not mean squat for the application of a Subie either, but look at the drop in initial viscosity and the sheared.

I collect vintage Honda motorcycles and some of the early V4's had some serious oiling problems. I have done ALOT of research on oil and filters for my bikes. It just carries over into anything I put oil in and my Subie doesn't get cheated out of the best I can find, anymore than my bikes will.

Amsoil comparison showing competitors' performance lower? WHAT A SURPRISE! No one here care about how the diesel trucks take it or how vintage honda motorcycles do with it, rotella has been continuously reproducible in quality and sheer prevention in our subarus. If you question it, check NASIOC as well. No one questions amsoil, as they are good as well, if not better....but I'm not paying the price of amsoil for a daily driven subaru that's for sure.

can anyone comment on Amsoil dominator oil 10w40? better than regular amsoil?

I wouldn't. That's meant for racing only and does not have the same formula that would give you the big mileage protection on a daily driver.

I changed my Amsoil 5w30 and and EAO filter for the second time in 9 months not 1 hour ago with 13,440 miles on that last oil change. A little dark, but it smelled and felt fine. NO doubt I could've just changed the filter, topped it off and have been good for another 10K. It cost me $40.15 today and my time of 25 minutes including clean up.

Now with that said......

....but I'm not paying the price of amsoil for a daily driven subaru that's for sure.

Dude!!! What are you smokin'?? If anything a daily driver is where it would save you money to run the Amsoil!! I drive over 70 miles a day to and from work, sometimes 6 days a week. With regular oil I would be changing my oil every 6 weeks!! Let's see every 6 weeks for a year, (52 weeks), that's over 8 and a half oil changes a year.

What's 5 qts of Rotella run now days? And a decent filter?? Can you do it all for under $20 and oil change?

Now just for giggles, round down and times all that by the 8 times a year of oil changes. I would be paying WELL over twice as much as what I'm paying for my Amsoil and you just admitted it's a better oil.

Put down the crack pipe!

I offered my opinion for a previous poster, not you sunshine. ;) As stated, I have done a lot of research on the subject of oil and I've been changing my own oil for over 30yrs.

Go ahead spend that hard earned coin on whatever you wish to run in that crank case. Treat 'em how you feel about 'em is what I say.

Edited by Fastball
Toned it down. Really!

To add; My OC cost under $100, ( 7qt. of 0w-30 Amsoil SSO, 2 Ea oil filter, EAO26-EA, EABP90-EA). But I usually add 2-4 qts. over my 15k-17k OCI. Which puts my cost between $114-$129 over my 15k OCI.

Now divide that cost by 4 ( # of OCI if I did OEM OCI(3750) over 15k) Works out to $25-$32 per OEM OCI.

On top of that theirs two other turbo charged car I have to maintain. Just in time savings alone is big for me. Yearly mileage; LGT 35k+, GXP 15k+ & G\F's WRX 20k.

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so after owning the Spec B for about a year I finally read this whole thread (hey I have to do something at work), anyways I've used Red line 5W30 since I bought the car and have noticed a very tiny amount of oil use if any (and it could all be in my head).

So my environment

Michigan- as warm as 102 in the summer, cold as -12 in the winter

Test and Tune 4-5x's a year, might autocross next year.

10,000 miles a year mostly freeway

Change the oil ever 3 months even if were not at 3000 miles, OEM blue filters

I like the Red Line but have heard people like Infamous us the Rotella T-6 5W-40 are there any drawbacks to switching from Red Line? Form reading it seems most people love the Rotella.

Edited by roundthirteen

My car's not a sleeper it's a hibernator.

http://pure-tuning.com

• 2 weeks later...
I'm about 500 miles into my first OCI with Rotella T6 5w40 and Bosch filter, about to click over to 100,000 miles on the odo. Just bought the car a few months ago from someone who had dino oil changes at the dealer for the life of the vehicle, had turbo replaced about 15k before I bought the car. Hopefully I can get a UOA done on it within a few weeks. Pulling the banjo filter to check it out next week...

on a happy note for the day i was going through some junk my car came with and i noticed i had oil changes records from the first owners every 3000miles to 36000 miles. The 2nd owner had it up to 48k miles though no records but he knew about the 3750 oci and had an Sti before as well so im just kinda psyched i know more about the history

Just thought I would post this oil analysis up here. We take our 08 legacy GT to the local dealership and have it changed with Subaru synthetic oil. From the research I have done the Subaru synthetic oil is actually Kendall synthetic with what they call "liquid titanium." The liquid titanium is a new anti-wear additive. You can see the first analysis showed no titanium and the second analysis did. The first sample was not the new liquid titanium oil, just the standard synthetic. I started using blackstone labs to see about extending our oil change intervals because my wife puts so many miles on this car.

So far our car looks to be very happy and the Subaru synthetic oil is holding up very well. I did not add any oil between oil changes, I didn't want to contaminate the sample.

Our car was also stage 2 tuned by infamous, catted downpipe, 17.5 psi. We are at 99,000 miles now and have had no problems with this car, stock vf46 turbo.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/Jeepboy381/image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, RP is garbage! Bad in the bike world, too.

They actually got sued a few years back for making false claims about their oil and judge made them take all the claims off any/all literature. They got called out by BP and couldn't back up ANY of their claims.

Hey!

Real quick, is the oil pickup tube towards the F or R of the pan?

PS-

Never used RP, but was told explicitly not to use it in my bike as well :-)

I've read the same about their trans fluid.

Edited by TheBlackPearl
Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.

Just thought I would post this oil analysis up here. We take our 08 legacy GT to the local dealership and have it changed with Subaru synthetic oil. From the research I have done the Subaru synthetic oil is actually Kendall synthetic with what they call "liquid titanium." The liquid titanium is a new anti-wear additive. You can see the first analysis showed no titanium and the second analysis did. The first sample was not the new liquid titanium oil, just the standard synthetic. I started using blackstone labs to see about extending our oil change intervals because my wife puts so many miles on this car.

So far our car looks to be very happy and the Subaru synthetic oil is holding up very well. I did not add any oil between oil changes, I didn't want to contaminate the sample.

Our car was also stage 2 tuned by infamous, catted downpipe, 17.5 psi. We are at 99,000 miles now and have had no problems with this car, stock vf46 turbo.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/Jeepboy381/image.jpg

almost no magnesium, odd

i just changed to rotella 5/40.. ill see how it goes ... also i put in 1/2 qt of lucas syn oil stabilizer .. about 5 of my buddys have sti's and wrx's and all use that mixture and it seems to work like a charm.. only have about 100 miles on new oil so .. ill be keeping a nice look at at .for miles to come.

po got alot of dealer oil changes but i dont think 05 calls for syn oil . im assuming they just used reg oil

no more then 3,000 mile oil changes. this is because of the turbo. the oil is exposed to exhaust gasses more in the turbo then it is in the engine, so it will absorb more carbon deposits and fill up with gunk quicker. synthetic oil doesnt sludge like conventional oil, and carbon is a very hard material that can do lots of damage if its not cleaned out frequently. remember that most turbos will have a peak rpm of between 80,000 and 200,000, so good clean oil is essential

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/automotive-glossary/turbochargershow-to-spin-your-way-in-first-place-ar14271.html good info here =)

just a little bit of extra, the part of the SAE stamp that reads "SL" means that there is no zinc in the oil. modern engines dont require this additive; its mostly there for older engines that need a little extra cushion between moving parts. royal purple oil is still rated SM, which means it still has zinc. zinc is "sticky" so to speak, so it will keep the oil in place overnight and reduce damage from dry starts. thinner oil drips to the sump more freely after engine shutdown, leaving the top end starved of oil for a second or two when the engine is started until oil pressure is built up. lots of VERY good info in this thread, bookmark it, i did.

This is my Backstone labs report.

Few notes....

2006 Legacy GT sedan. I don't abuse it, but I like the acceleration and tend to wind it out a bit sometimes....

I ran the oil over the summer.

Ran 5k miles between May and early December (I live near Washington DC)

I work 3 miles from work (one way) Takes 10 minutes and there are 7-10 stops, which explains the fuel dilution.

I run Shell Rotella T6 and the Blue Subaru filter for the last 4 oil changes (about 20k miles). Though this past change I switched to the 2009 RX8 Black Tokio Roki (however you spell it) filter. For those that aren't familiar, it has the same specs as the Subaru (including bypass pressure), but is physically larger about at least 35% and I'm told is better quality.

The car had 64k miles the day I took the sample and I drove it 5k miles and didn't add any oil, though I was about 2/3rd of a quart low when I did the change.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/csbrown28/forum_zps723b9fb9.png