LegacyGT.com

Air intake question

95Subi

OKay, so I have the '95 Legacy Outback wagon, 2.2 and recently picked up a free hood from a friend who killed his Forester and the hood fits perfectly, but has a nice scoop.

Where the throttlebody tongue is, you have the intake hose that runs to the MAF and then to the air box. Seeing as the car will not run with the MAF disconnected, BUT I was able to remove the entire intake hose, install a small cone filter on the IAC, car runs, but lopes which would be normal for a situation like that.

Problem is, when I step on the gas, she doesn't want to go anywhere cause the MAF cannot regulate the air and I'm just forcing too much into the throttlebody.

I could mount the cone filter, but I'd have to find a way to mount the MAF between the TB and filter. So my question is: How would I run a cone filter off the MAF, if the MAF has the four bolt holes that run into the air housing? Auto parts stores have the "Intake mounts" which have 4 pre drilled holes and a lip for mounting a filter. Issue is, the bolt holes aren't even close to lining up and it's a little too small in general. And I can't just use rubber cement or silicone , cause the air filter would be too heavy and when I hit a bump the assembly would fall apart.

Any idea as to how I am gonna mount the filter to the MAF? Or ideas as to what I can fabricate, without buying a 40 dollar chrome painted intake line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i did this on my 91 leggy. you take the upper part of the air box and you have to pop off the reviets that hold that metal plate. after you do that you can use that plate for the cone.you may have to bend the rounded lip straight a little.

• 2 weeks later...
OKay, so I have the '95 Legacy Outback wagon, 2.2 and recently picked up a free hood from a friend who killed his Forester and the hood fits perfectly, but has a nice scoop.

Where the throttlebody tongue is, you have the intake hose that runs to the MAF and then to the air box. Seeing as the car will not run with the MAF disconnected, BUT I was able to remove the entire intake hose, install a small cone filter on the IAC, car runs, but lopes which would be normal for a situation like that.

Problem is, when I step on the gas, she doesn't want to go anywhere cause the MAF cannot regulate the air and I'm just forcing too much into the throttlebody.

I could mount the cone filter, but I'd have to find a way to mount the MAF between the TB and filter. So my question is: How would I run a cone filter off the MAF, if the MAF has the four bolt holes that run into the air housing? Auto parts stores have the "Intake mounts" which have 4 pre drilled holes and a lip for mounting a filter. Issue is, the bolt holes aren't even close to lining up and it's a little too small in general. And I can't just use rubber cement or silicone , cause the air filter would be too heavy and when I hit a bump the assembly would fall apart.

Any idea as to how I am gonna mount the filter to the MAF? Or ideas as to what I can fabricate, without buying a 40 dollar chrome painted intake line.

I've found the following works well. - A chopped up short ram mated to the MAF. - 3" diameter with 2.75 silicone reducer at intake opening. I forget which short ram I used but I remember that I got it, ($30.00 or something like that), because it had the right amount of vacuum line hook-ups, (IAC, valve cover breathers, etc.). - More volume, more velocity, more air flow in general when used in conjunction with exhaust mods. I didn't feel the need to use a different air cleaner set-up because I think that the stock 6x9 panel filter will flow more air that this 2.2 will ever need.

005.thumb.JPG.5924514808d5d87862383d06b4184429.JPG

Archived