LegacyGT.com

Continuously variable Tranny

matthewluke60

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you referring to the Nissan CVT in the Murano? Frankly, I think the the 5EAT in my Honda Odyssey positions the engine rpm better especially when it is in sport mode. The way the Nissan CVT adjusts the rpm to match load was never quite what I wanted.

Not that impressed.

Maybe next generation will be better.

Guest JessterCPA

CVT is awesome technology, but we need to look at Audi, and why they do not put the CVT on their Quattro equipped cars. Let's let them figure out the problems & take the bad press, and swoop in later. For some reason CVT & AWD do not mix well.

Jesse

Is subaru coming out with a tranny to battle against Nissian's CVT, if not, I expect the champion of AWD will be left in the dust.......frankly Subaru you better come out with one so I can mesh it to my engine.......or I'm leaving you!!!

Subaru was indeed the first manufacturer to offer a CVT in the US market.

Here's a timeline courtesy of How Stuff Works:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm

No More Gears: A Timeline of CVT Innovation

1490 - da Vinci sketches a stepless continuously variable transmission

1886 - first toroidal CVT patent filed

1935 - Adiel Dodge receives U.S. patent for toroidal CVT

1939 - fully automatic transmission based on planetary gear system introduced

1958 - Daf (of The Netherlands) produces a CVT in a car

1989 - Subaru Justy GL is the first U.S.-sold production automobile to offer a CVT

2002 - Saturn Vue with a CVT debuts; first Saturn to offer CVT technology

2004 - Ford begins offering a CVT

Is subaru coming out with a tranny to battle against Nissian's CVT, if not, I expect the champion of AWD will be left in the dust.......frankly Subaru you better come out with one so I can mesh it to my engine.......or I'm leaving you!!!

OMG! please don't leave ,,please......:lol:

SUBARU DO YOU HEAR THIS!!??!!?!!?!

4 posts...now he'll leave if you dont do CVT..:icon_roll

Im sure theres a nice Nissan minivan waiting for you with your CVT crap...IBTL

CVT trannys are garbage. The old Justys use to have them I think.... Theres a rather good reason why Subaru isnt using them anymore.... (snap!)

The new 400+ hp Lexus LS600h L uses a CVT. Nissan is using CVTs more and more. The new Corolla (just announced today) has a CVT.

Bottom line is we're going to see more and more of these units.

Bob

Which, like I said before, is a good thing... if they're done right.

Just because it "feels weird" doesn't mean it's worse. Gears are not optimal, and because of gears we have engines that are not optimal.

CVT means not just simplification of the transmission, but also simplification of the engine. No longer is it necessary to design an engine that's efficient across a broad RPM range (say goodbye to VTEC!), rather one that's super effiecient at one speed. This can lead to both an increase in power and gas mileage.

Guest JessterCPA

The perfect example of a CVT is a snowmobile. True, the effect & technology do not translate into cars, but if you whack the throttle on a quick snowmobile, and that belt rides up & down, it is truly a cool thing.

CVT is not the ultimate solution. But it is a viable alternative to traditional tarnsmissions. DSG, SMG, Hydraulic Clutch, Full Manual, CVT, Full Automatic. They all make sense in their own (OK, maybe not SMG :lol:).

Jesse

Archived